U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 08:34 PM

1,218 posts, read 4,572,024 times

Advertisements

Okay, heading out this fall for some time in Florida, and this will be our first visit to Universal Studios. I know that the Harry Potter theme park opend recently. My question is, to leisurely enjoy the parks, how many days would you allow, and what are some must do things there?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 08:58 PM

4,899 posts, read 16,641,816 times
i have some questions for Universal studios too....bump bump

should we go for the meal plan? what about staying at the hotel a mile out? how is the transportation? it is probably like disney, right?

Old 08-29-2010, 12:23 AM

38,900 posts, read 20,200,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i have some questions for Universal studios too....bump bump

should we go for the meal plan? what about staying at the hotel a mile out? how is the transportation? it is probably like disney, right?
I would research your alternatives and compare pricing among different hotels, etc. I did a Disney World trip but found a cheaper alternative with a "Disney Good Neighbor" hotel that had shuttle service to all four themed parks. I found this hotel through Expedia as I knew nothing about the area and after an exhaustive search through traveler's reviews and the hotel met my expectations. Since you are doing Universal, you may wish to look at hotels along the International Drive area as that would be closer to the Universal parks. The meal plan could be a money saver or a complete waste of money if you do not fully utilize the plan due to limitations. I personally would forgo the meal plans but you really have to investigate that for yourself to see if it would save you money/hassle in the long run. Hope you enjoy your trip to Orlando.

Old 08-29-2010, 05:21 AM

4,214 posts, read 12,585,768 times
With the addition of Harry Potter, I think you'd want to spend three days at Universal at the least. Four days perhaps if you're a lover of roller coasters and if you want to do them all at a leisurely pace (the lines can be long).

One fun thing not to miss is going on Jaws after dark. During the day is great and we think after dark is even better.

Nighttime at City Walk can be fun. If you've not seen a performance of Blue Man Group, you might want to consider that. Extraordinarily unique show.

A Fall visit to Universal means you might stumble upon a Halloween Horror Night. This year it's Sept. 24, 25, 30, and Oct. 1-3, 7-10, 14-17, 20-24, 27-31. I personally have not been (too much of a scaredy cat), but those who have say it is unbelievable.

As for neaby hotels, along with International Drive, there are hotels on Major Blvd. This roadway is directly opposite of one of Universal's entrances. There are shuttles available, but since I've never used them I don't know the details about cost, schedules, etc.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:30 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,641,816 times
we had a meal plan for Disney and it was definately worth the money. we could easily have spent $40 per meal just having a burger/sandwich, a side, drink and dessert at any of the "quick" meal places.

for universal, the meal plan states "unlimited" times through the food lines between lunch and dinner. i mean is it like all you can eat? sounds too good to be true or i am totally reading it wrong.

Old 08-29-2010, 02:15 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,968,254 times
Went last year and booked a hotel for almost two weeks- 1 day for each park- Disney's/SeaWorld/Universal's

We had planned on doing Universal Studios one day and the next the Island of Adventure. But we found we were DONE with US by lunchtime...so we went over to IoA....and were done before closing.

This is BEFORE the Harry Potter opened.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or