U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 01:28 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,116,035 times

Advertisements

Oh Go! I travel alone all the time and its great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 01:36 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,635,172 times
To be true, I personally do not like to travel alone all the time, but if nobody wants to come with me, I prefer travelling alone instead of staying at home. That's why I have been alone to San Francisco, Toronto, Montreal, London, Tallinn, Brussels...
One or two times a year I love to travel alone and just enjoying the freedom to go wherever you want whenever you want without asking anybody else.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:11 PM

8,270 posts, read 11,130,236 times
What Douglas D said. Maybe I'm fortunate my first job out of college was a government job where I was on 25% travel. I learned early to travel alone and now I generally prefer it. Even when I'm traveling with someone, I like to split up during the day, compare notes over dinner. In fact dining in a nice restaurant is the ONLY thing I dislike even slightly about going alone, because I know the restaurants need full tables. As the previous posters said,GO! I can't even count all the wonderful experiences I would have missed if I had waited till someone could go with me.

Old 08-17-2010, 06:01 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,254,784 times
I prefer traveling alone, I meet more people and have a great time.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:07 AM

10 posts, read 12,677 times
i love travel too, so interesting.and i can greap a lof from other places and people.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:09 AM

3,644 posts, read 5,563,977 times
I've always traveled alone for the same reasons the OP is going to travel alone: friends either don't want to go the places I want to go, don't have the time, or don't have the money. I've traveled all over the Orient by myself numerous times. You don't have to draw the line at international borders. Just remember that if you get overwhelmed by being unable to communicate you can always bail yourself out with money. EVERYONE will make a great effort to accomodate you if you are paying them. Walking around a foreign city or taking mass ransit is great when you know that if you get totally lost you can always afford a taxi to take you back to the place you are staying. It allows you to be adventureous but still have a easy way out when you get in over your head.
Another thing you can do when traveling alone is to use the internet to try to arrange meetups with people who live in the city you are going to. There are a lot of people who are willing to meet new people and act as tour guides to show off their home cities. I did this a couple of times that I traveled to Japan and China and it worked out great.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 AM

32,108 posts, read 33,017,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbacon View Post
Another thing you can do when traveling alone is to use the internet to try to arrange meetups with people who live in the city you are going to. There are a lot of people who are willing to meet new people and act as tour guides to show off their home cities. I did this a couple of times that I traveled to Japan and China and it worked out great.
NYC has such a free service of people willing to act as tour guides to visitors:
Welcome to Big Apple Greeter

Old 08-18-2010, 10:48 PM

14,790 posts, read 14,060,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I love to travel. I crave different experiences and I LOVE big, busy cities. The problem is, I haven't found anyone who feels the same way. I want to travel, but to do so would require me to go alone. No one around has the resources, time away from work, or desire like I do.

Is it odd to travel to, say, New York City by yourself? I've never been and it's the #1 place on my list. Yes, I'm a typical tourist. Get over it

Next month I'm going to visit my sister in Oklahoma. I want to drive. Why? Because I've flown there several times, and I just think it would be fun to drive for once. It's about an 18 hour drive and I'd stay somewhere in Texas for the night. Everyone I've told thinks I'm nuts to go on such a long road trip by myself, but I CAN'T WAIT. I've done 12 hour solo road trips before (with no stopping for the night), and it's never been a problem.

As much as I would love to travel the world, I can't do it myself. I draw the line at the international borders

Should I stay home or go out and explore?
I travelled solo from Australia to NYC.

Loved it. Some people thought it was a bit odd, but who cares. i wanted to go, so I went.

The freedom to do what you want, when you want and to meet new people is great.

Thinking of a return solo trip early next year

Old 08-18-2010, 10:57 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,891,477 times
I agree w Eureka, going to a nice restaurant is a drag by yourself, caus ethey often put you in the back by the kitchen. Normally I try to eat at the bar. I travel for work so I got used to it...and love it. I don't do real late nights, but then I'm up early to see the sights before the lines get long. Also travel in the offseason...I hate crowds.

Just went to NYC for the first time this year. I did the sightseeing mainstays, but also just walked the neighborhoods...had a blast and look forward to going back.

Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,424,386 times
I posted some NYC pictures that I took in July, if anyone is interested. They're on the Photography forum, the link is here.

Some pictures of NYC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel