U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:44 AM

12 posts, read 16,573 times

Advertisements

You should definitely GO! As a fellow lover of travel, I often go exploring even if others can't come. You can meet a lot of interesting people that way, just don't be shy (although obviously take the necessary safety precautions). Soon I'll be driving from Chicago to LA by myself and I am quite excited to stop in some exciting towns. Also, I suggest staying in Austin when you go to Texas. They have a great hostel in the city where you can meet other fun travelers and people often go out together! Good luck and have fun!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2010, 12:47 PM

870 posts, read 1,970,705 times
I've traveled all over Europe by myself. Honestly I feel safer in many European cities compared to some American ones. I mainly worry more about petty theft which can be prevented. Also hostels are a great way to meet people. Something like busabout might be a good option.

BTW thanks to the person who posted the NYC greeter website. I am visiting NYC in October so that sounds like a cool idea.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:36 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,432,322 times
I would just like to say that MAtheBanker is in SLC right now. She made the trip all by herself! Of course, she's visiting family, but she still flew on her own. Next stop, NYC!

Old 08-19-2010, 11:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,238 times
yeahh... why not

Old 08-21-2010, 06:34 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,681,171 times
I'll chime in too - GO! I've moved cross country alone, driven to visit people, places xc numerous times. I think its perfectly absolutely normal to want to drive, get out explore, see things however it comes about - I think the people who don't understand are the...hm...well not so normal ones.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:29 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,680,849 times
Do it. Don't look back. Why wait on someone who'll never show... just go.

Looks like from your name you might be in Massachusetts... Then saw Valley of the Sun. Where is that? The reason I noticed really was because you're headed to Oklahoma and planned to overnight in Texas... you know, it really isn't on the way from Mass...

Take a visit to the Texas Travel Guide for some Texas traveling info. You might find some additional stops along the way.

I've made several trips to euro cities alone. I know more about London and Paris than I do about most U.S. cities. And more than most americans.

Old 08-21-2010, 10:37 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,432,322 times
MA is from the Phoenix area...those are just her initials!

Old 08-22-2010, 12:24 AM

38,897 posts, read 20,193,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I love to travel. I crave different experiences and I LOVE big, busy cities. The problem is, I haven't found anyone who feels the same way. I want to travel, but to do so would require me to go alone. No one around has the resources, time away from work, or desire like I do.

Is it odd to travel to, say, New York City by yourself? I've never been and it's the #1 place on my list. Yes, I'm a typical tourist. Get over it

Next month I'm going to visit my sister in Oklahoma. I want to drive. Why? Because I've flown there several times, and I just think it would be fun to drive for once. It's about an 18 hour drive and I'd stay somewhere in Texas for the night. Everyone I've told thinks I'm nuts to go on such a long road trip by myself, but I CAN'T WAIT. I've done 12 hour solo road trips before (with no stopping for the night), and it's never been a problem.

As much as I would love to travel the world, I can't do it myself. I draw the line at the international borders

Should I stay home or go out and explore?
I've been in the same situation of wanting to visit other places but not having anyone to go with me. I finally decided enough was enough and did my dream trip to Orlando, Florida. I also did a combo trip to Seattle/Victoria, BC all by myself and have great memories of my trips. My next adventure will also be the Big Apple as soon as I save up enough money and have the time. Like you, I want to check out all the touristy places and sites. If you decide to go, update us about your trip.

Old 08-22-2010, 12:27 AM

38,897 posts, read 20,193,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
To be true, I personally do not like to travel alone all the time, but if nobody wants to come with me, I prefer travelling alone instead of staying at home. That's why I have been alone to San Francisco, Toronto, Montreal, London, Tallinn, Brussels...
One or two times a year I love to travel alone and just enjoying the freedom to go wherever you want whenever you want without asking anybody else.
This is what I enjoy the most about travelling solo.

Old 08-22-2010, 09:15 PM

721 posts, read 2,666,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I love to travel. I crave different experiences and I LOVE big, busy cities. The problem is, I haven't found anyone who feels the same way. I want to travel, but to do so would require me to go alone. No one around has the resources, time away from work, or desire like I do.

Is it odd to travel to, say, New York City by yourself? I've never been and it's the #1 place on my list. Yes, I'm a typical tourist. Get over it

Next month I'm going to visit my sister in Oklahoma. I want to drive. Why? Because I've flown there several times, and I just think it would be fun to drive for once. It's about an 18 hour drive and I'd stay somewhere in Texas for the night. Everyone I've told thinks I'm nuts to go on such a long road trip by myself, but I CAN'T WAIT. I've done 12 hour solo road trips before (with no stopping for the night), and it's never been a problem.

As much as I would love to travel the world, I can't do it myself. I draw the line at the international borders

Should I stay home or go out and explore?
I'm kinda the same as you, I travel the US by myself all the time but going to foreign countries, especially third world countries I just wouldn't be comfortable by myself.

When traveling in the US just road trip type stuff craigslist has a ride share section. Lots of the people are like smelly "gutter kids" who havn't showered in 6 months smelling like stale beer, petchouli, and weed. They won't have money for gas and will probably hit you up for food and ciggs. They will talk about phish and tell you about the heady buds they are gonna smoke when they get to colorado...lol. There are some really interesting/wierd peopel on there but if you shop around so to speak you can find others like yourslef or me I imagine. Basically just normal people who like to travel, looking for adventure and someone to share the ride with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel