U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2010, 11:58 PM

55,665 posts, read 74,620,384 times

Advertisements

i wasnt there but i am sure SWA will defend itself.
punishment and discipline are good but slapping a small child is not always a good way to calm them down.
lots of crazy people get on airplanes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 04:13 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,919,576 times
CNN article

Another passenger told police that they heard slaps, and the mother tell her daughter to "shut up" and that "I didn't hit you that hard."
Asked if she thought it was okay to hit a 13-month-old baby, the woman nodded to police and said, "She's my daughter," according to the police report.

Children do need boundaries and discipline. And some moms need parenting classes.

A 13 month old baby is not old enough to reason with. Period.
Repeatedly slapping a toddler in the face is not the way to calm her down, let alone get her to stop making noise.
To act as if this is "discipline" (and is acceptable) is plenty worrisome to anyone with a lick of sense.
The FA was in a difficult position but did the right thing.

I have flown with a 13 month old. Taking off and landing can be a killer because their little ears can hurt so bad. You (and the passengers around you) have to deal with it. It's not always fun. Coming back from an international trip in 2006, we were on the same plane with a young German mom and her busy toddler boy. She was such a good mom that I still remember it. She walked up and down the aisle, holding him and talking gently to him. They had a good flight.

In a statement Tuesday, Southwest said that, "The family was having an altercation and their young child was upset. Our flight attendant offered to hold the baby to soothe the child. Out of precaution for the child, Southwest asked that the local authorities meet the aircraft in Albuquerque.
Makes sense to me. Kudos to Southwest.

Old 08-18-2010, 04:35 AM

3,605 posts, read 9,282,726 times
I support the parents right to discipline their children, including corporal punishment. I do believe that the punishment, corporal or not, must be appropriate and dispensed properly. Slapping a 12 month old is not appropriate under any circumstance. I do not feel a parent should lose their children as a result of an isolated incident and resent those who seem to think their personal view of discipline is the only acceptable one.

In support of a parents right to act as they see fit according to their views, within reason of course, I support their right to do many things I would not do in a disciplinary mode. Even though I do not always approve, I believe they have the right to follow their beliefs as long as they do not inflict damage.

I support the FA in this instance because the parents were acting in a manner that could inflict damage to a child of that age. I am not unhappy that the parents have not had charges filed against them and their child was returned to them. I am somewhat concerned that political interests will likely result in them being under abnormal levels of scrutiny. If this reveals a pattern of abuse, then a silver lining will be revealed, but absent that it will be a travesty of personal rights.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 AM

13,106 posts, read 24,889,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificFlights View Post
First it was the passengers that went to the FA to complain and alert them about what was happening.

Second the parents were in a verbal confrontation with each other and disturbing the flight.

Third it was not one slap but repeated slaps to the face.

Fourth the child had physical bruises on the face.

Fifth the passengers did back up the FA.

Sixth, the police released the child back to the parents after a medical examination and determining the parents were sorry and it appeared to have just been one of those spur of the moment loosing control.

Finally, care to explain these in context of your bogus, know nothing about the facts, assertions:
"I think it was a solid move from the part of the flight attendant to take custody of the child," airport police chief Marshall Katz said. "It neutralized the situation, it calmed everybody down."

During the repeated open hand slaps and seeing the black eye on the child, I was afraid for that poor child especially with the parents yelling and screaming at each other the way they were, its so upsetting” said one passenger.

Also what does not appear in some news stories is passengers were trying to call authorities from the plane to get help for the child. That does not sound like they thought the FA was wrong!
Bruises on face???? Black eye???? I find that very hard to believe that the police gave the child back to the parents if that were the case.

In any case slapping a 1 year old is only going to add to their distress not calm them..

Seems like the FA difussed a bad situation and MOm should take some parenting classes

Old 08-18-2010, 09:42 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,415,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Bruises on face???? Black eye???? I find that very hard to believe that the police gave the child back to the parents if that were the case.

In any case slapping a 1 year old is only going to add to their distress not calm them..

Seems like the FA difussed a bad situation and MOm should take some parenting classes
The kid got bit by her uncle's Great Dane, thus causing the black eye. Saying the kid had bruises on the face without stating why is like you're trying to make the parents seem guilty! Some posters on here love that, just make blanket statements further making the parents seem guilty when in reality, the black eye stemmed from a completely different circumstance!

Old 08-18-2010, 11:03 AM

9,029 posts, read 16,430,940 times
A 13 month old would be swallowed by a great dane - i severely doubt it was a bite that caused any bruising (mainly because bites puncture, not bruise, an eye is a tough area to bite for a dog, danes aren't really a breed prone to biting and they're massive so the damage done would generally be more severe if it were indeed a bite)

not to say that there couldn't of been a collision, a tail whip (kid would be about face high to the tail), etc

A bite sounds suspicious

I'd also be dubious to believe on a blanket basis any parent who feels it's appropriate to smack around a 13 month old

One one hand you chastise people for blindly making blanket statements .... you will also note that the passengers aren't saying that they say the parent give the black eye ... just that one was present - which combined with the slapping created a different scenario

I don't have any problems asking additional questions under this scenario - because no one knows what the cause was without asking

As another aside - even with the presence of bruises, etc it's very difficult for CPS and such entities to really do anything ...... my wife had a child in the classroom who would routintely get absolutely battered - insane amount of brusing from knees to shoulders - everytime CPS came by there was a good excuse and the kid would catch another beating for letting someone know ... just vicious stuff

My thoughts on this are pretty much in line with JohnRex in a broad view level

Old 08-18-2010, 11:11 AM

11,939 posts, read 21,528,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
On a side note, I'd love to see the Southwest FA contract. Who do these people think they are? First, they kick off a girl because she's dressed too sexy (according to some bitter FA), kick of a guy because he is too fat (sadly for them, it was someone famous), and now this! There is either something in their contract stating that they are allowed to do things like this or they are all crazy and use poor judgement. It's a good thing I don't fly with them often!
It's neither, it would be in the company operations manual. Flight attendents don't make the rules they just enforce them.

Old 08-18-2010, 12:28 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,919,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post

I'd also be dubious to believe on a blanket basis any parent who feels it's appropriate to smack around a 13 month old

One one hand you chastise people for blindly making blanket statements .... you will also note that the passengers aren't saying that they say the parent give the black eye ... just that one was present - which combined with the slapping created a different scenario

I don't have any problems asking additional questions under this scenario - because no one knows what the cause was without asking

My thoughts on this are pretty much in line with JohnRex in a broad view level
Agreed.
I am not going to theorize about the black eye/Great Dane scenario, but from listening to the police officer on the CNN clip, and reading what the passengers are saying, I have no problem with Southwest's actions.
From this article: (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/business/7158502.html - broken link)
McCurley told the officers she saw the mother hit the child on the face with her open hand while the father yelled at the mother to stop screaming at the girl.

McCurley described the mother as agitated with the child, said the woman also slapped the baby on the legs and told the child to shut up

The father told the attendant the parents had several arguments about the mother hitting the child, according to the report.

He told police the mother would occasionally "pop" the child to stop her kicking and screaming, but that the baby had never been hit in the face.

Every family has the occasional rough time, especially on an airplane ride with infants. And as I said before, kids do need boundaries and discipline.
But this little girl has been on the planet for 13 months and she is already receiving the occasional "pop."
The FA did the right thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or