Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2010, 02:55 PM
Led Led started this thread

145 posts, read 423,169 times

Advertisements

Looking into spending a weekend in Toronto and I was wondering if any of you forumers have made the trip before? Looking into driving up sometime whis winter. Would I be able to hit all the "spots" in Toronto and the Niagara area over 3 days and 2 nights? Is it worth the trip? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2010, 03:10 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,216,031 times
not sure if you'd hit "all the spots" but you should be able to get in a good assortment of activities

I definitely don't see any reason why you wouldn't package niagara falls and toronto in together

I took a school trip once from the southern tier of NY, hit niagara falls, went on the maid of the mist, spent some time there then made it into toronto, went up in the CN Tower, hit some other day time hot spots, played mini golf, went to midevil times for dinner and then back home on a day trip

last time I went to toronto was with a buddy who had never and we made a stop at niagara falls on the way to toronto ..... the distance between the two isn't that far and the drive is pretty easy

I don't think the amount of time spent commuting and enjoying niagara falls would cut out that much from time spent in toronto where you'll be disapointed or feel short changed for doing it

Old 08-06-2010, 03:17 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,285,482 times
I did this trip with my mom in 2008. We flew to Buffalo from NJ and rented a car. We then drove to Toronto, spent a night there, and the rest of the time on the Canadian side of Niagara. We stayed at Sheraton on the Falls (not Fallsview) and it was a great trip. You can definitely do it in 3 days!

Old 08-06-2010, 07:30 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Led View Post
Looking into spending a weekend in Toronto and I was wondering if any of you forumers have made the trip before? Looking into driving up sometime whis winter. Would I be able to hit all the "spots" in Toronto and the Niagara area over 3 days and 2 nights? Is it worth the trip? Thanks.
If you think that you are going to see "everything" in Toronto and Niagara is less than a week, it just won't happen.

I would do some research and decide on what you want to see in Toronto and leave a day to drive to and see the Niagara Falls area.

I think that Toronto is easily in the top ten cities to visit in Noth America.

Old 08-06-2010, 11:45 PM

1,654 posts, read 5,853,567 times
Make sure to check out "Niagara on the Lake" too (roughly 30 minute drive from the falls). It's a quaint old town with plenty of wine tours, restaurants, and some nice scenery.. that is if you're into that stuff.

Old 08-10-2010, 02:08 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
Make sure you have a passport. It's now required for travel into Canadia.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:01 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,774 times
You really need to find out what you like to see in this trip and plan it accordingly. I've never been to Toronto in winter (only spring, summer, and fall) so I don't know what's available in winter there.

My husband and I drove from Toronto to Niagara Falls a couple of summers ago for a day trip and it's worth it. The drive was easy, all highways, and IIRC it's only about 2-3 hours - depending on traffic. We took the boat ride, which was amazing. Some tourists took the walking / climbing tour but we chose not to (kinda slippery). Plenty of good views of the falls to admire.

One thing I would skip in Toronto is the CN tower. It's meh. Downtown Toronto is kinda deserted in certain areas after dark, so beware.

Definitely go to Chinatown and try out their dim sum though. It's traditional chinese brunch (served as early as 10am and as late as 2pm) that consists of a large varieties of food served on small appetizer size plates - mostly steamed. You just have to sit in your chair and the little old ladies would push their carts laden with varieties of food to your table, and you just choose what you like.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:54 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,713,391 times
I went up to Toronto for a wedding and decided to take a few extra days to check out the area. Niagara Falls was cool, but purely the falls part. The rest is extremely touristy-hokey. On the way back to Toronto we hit Niagara-on-the-Lake, which we really liked. In Toronto itself, I remember a good Belgian place in the financial district (where we were staying) and just wandering around. We also went to a big market (St. Lawrence or Kensington?) which was fun. My parents did the tower after I left and said it was ok.

Old 08-10-2010, 06:05 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,264,727 times
The Royal Ontario Museum is Canada's equivalent to the Smithsonian or the Henry Ford Museum and is worth a day to see it all.

Casa Loma is a weird castle like estate that was built and is well worth a visit.

There are a lot of theatres in Toronto featuring a lo of plays. In has an arts scene pretty close to what you'll find in Chicago.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:37 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,734,455 times
If you fly up to Toronto, then its all doable. You'll spend about two hours flying each way from JFK. But if you are driving then two of three days will be spent in driving up and down (12-14 hrs each way). The one day in the middle may be a little tiring due to lack of sleep or road lag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel