U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 02:20 PM

721 posts, read 2,662,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
That's the thing, we wanted to experience the culture and all we got was a bunch of Americans in cities created for them, with jacked up prices everywhere. Zero culture in Costa Rica and it felt like we were at some (very)dirty American city no matter where we went. We travel all the time, neither of us is American by birth so to say we expect American Disney is ridiculous.

I did mention why I didn't like it in an entire post dedicated to it. The top reason? Child prostitution just rubs me the very, very wrong way and any country that condones it will never get a penny out of me again.

Lots of pictures from Costa Rica
Personally I prefer Jamaica to Costa Rica and pretty much any other place I've ever been for that matter.

As for Costa Rica, I can see where your comming from with the Americna cities in Costa Rica thing. I dont really like the cities I like smaller beach towns along the pacific coast.

As for the disneyland thing, didn't mean to infer that was the scenario in why you didnt like it just seems alot of complaints i hear on travel boards, from people ive taken and from overhearnig conversations in jamaica alot of the complaints I hear are things like...

"they dont serve miller light at the bars"

"the ketchup tastes different than at home"

"i wasn't offerd a cold towel when i checked in like the brochure said, my vacation was ruined"

lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 02:33 PM

417 posts, read 922,379 times
We're going to Riviera Maya, Mexico this fall. We were between the Valentin Imperial and the Secrets Capri. We got a better deal on Secrets Capri..this will be our first time there but I read an extensive amount of reviews and almost all were positive and those that were negative did not have terrible complaints. For the money, it was a great deal. We also looked into Cozumel but there is a ferry for $15 that goes into Cozumel every day so we'll probably just do a day trip there to snorkel, go out to dinner, etc. Good luck!

Old 08-24-2010, 05:05 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,413,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Personally I prefer Jamaica to Costa Rica and pretty much any other place I've ever been for that matter.

As for Costa Rica, I can see where your comming from with the Americna cities in Costa Rica thing. I dont really like the cities I like smaller beach towns along the pacific coast.

As for the disneyland thing, didn't mean to infer that was the scenario in why you didnt like it just seems alot of complaints i hear on travel boards, from people ive taken and from overhearnig conversations in jamaica alot of the complaints I hear are things like...

"they dont serve miller light at the bars"

"the ketchup tastes different than at home"

"i wasn't offerd a cold towel when i checked in like the brochure said, my vacation was ruined"

lol
It's so funny you mention that! My husband was in love with their local beer and he's not even a beer drinker! The best part for me was the availability of "real" Coke, made with sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. And the ketchup? Love it. It tastes just like the ones I had back home in Europe, also no corn syrups!

I was hoping for a cultural experience, but it was anything but that. I got sick of seeing American fast food after fast food there! Even at the airport food court, they had Cinnabon, Burger King, Church's Chicken and some other American restaurant that I can't remember. Not one local! My husband has been to Jamaica a few times and has no desire to go back. Which I guess is good, since I truly have no desire to ever go there, either!

Old 08-25-2010, 12:06 PM

721 posts, read 2,662,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
It's so funny you mention that! My husband was in love with their local beer and he's not even a beer drinker! The best part for me was the availability of "real" Coke, made with sugar and not high fructose corn syrup. And the ketchup? Love it. It tastes just like the ones I had back home in Europe, also no corn syrups!

I was hoping for a cultural experience, but it was anything but that. I got sick of seeing American fast food after fast food there! Even at the airport food court, they had Cinnabon, Burger King, Church's Chicken and some other American restaurant that I can't remember. Not one local! My husband has been to Jamaica a few times and has no desire to go back. Which I guess is good, since I truly have no desire to ever go there, either!
Red Stripe is great, they have a new one called Red Stripe Bold as well.

I agree I like the Coke made with real sugar cane, I don't care for corn syrup. Jones Soda makes sugar cane cola but it tastes like crap so I like the real coke from Jamaica. Ketchup is diff but good, much sweeter.

I actually never come across too Many fast food places in Jamaica. Pretty much just burger king and kfc. THey also have a local one called Juicy Patti. I think only Kingston has a McDonalds.

I'm guessing you stayed in Mobay or Ochi? Most people I know who have been to either of those don't like it. If you ever go back go to Negril or Port Antonio or anywhere besides Mobay and Ochi.

Here's what you missed...

Irie Photography
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or