U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2010, 11:09 AM

168 posts, read 358,979 times

Advertisements

Love to have your recommendations for an adult all-inclusive in Cancun and/or Cozumel. We have never stayed in either location, so If you have stayed at one recently (last 6-9 months), we would appreciate your feedback which will help us making our choice for a winter get-away.
Thanks!

Last edited by Bo; 08-23-2010 at 11:32 AM.. Reason: Moved from San Antonio forum.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 11:25 AM

1,893 posts, read 4,875,269 times
I would stay away from Mexico all together. I'm sure that the situation in The Yucatan is much better than places along the border like Nueva Larado or Juarez but it's still a little too fluid for my liking. Bad thing are happening daily over there. Having said that, I know someone who took a bus trip all the way from SA to Guadalajara and back with no problems. Maybe I'm just overly cautious.

Old 08-23-2010, 11:40 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,411,766 times
Yea, I wouldn't stay away from Mexico just because violence *may* occur. Violence is all around you, you can be shot walking down the street in a US city. We went to Puerto Vallarta a couple of months ago and ventured into neighborhoods without a tourist in sight. We felt completely safe.

My friend just got back from her Cancun honeymoon and had a blast. They stayed in Cancun and Playa Del Carmen. My other friend was in Cancun for a week in late July. The only good thing about these ridiculous travel warnings is that you'll get a decent rate. I can't comment on the AI, since we never stay in one.

Old 08-23-2010, 03:45 PM

163 posts, read 267,472 times
Valentin Imperial Maya ~ Riviera Maya

I've been there twice in the past year - great service, nice rooms (loved the Emerald Suite) and the food/pools/beverages are decent as well. I also like the Iberostar resorts. Check out tripadvisor.com for detailed reviews of the hotels, the area, and activities.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:14 PM

721 posts, read 2,662,535 times
One thing to consider about Coz is that it is a very popular cruise ship stop. There will be ships there almost every weekday. This won't be a problem at the resorts, but if you wanted to go into town - or if you were staying in town - you would want to avoid the time when the ships are in.

Coz would have better snorkeling and probably be cheaper. Cancun gives you better access [if you want to drive that far] to Tulum and Xcaret, Xel-Ha, etc that are south along the coast.

I'd choose either Coz or the Riviera Maya, myself, because they are a bit quieter, in general. IF your looking for nightlife however Cancun would be the obvious choice.

Just to throw something out there have you considered Jamaica?There's some great deals going on right now. It's not a bad flight, probably same as Mexico most likely. Great food, awesome people, if you like day trip type things like climbing waterfalls, ging to mineral springs, zip lining, etc they have tons of that.

Good watersports, snorkling, etc. They have everything from high end AI's to really nice smaller boutique hotels, you got hte RIU's just like MExico if thats your thing. My fav hotel is CoCO La Palm , only $65 per night in summer but super clean, nice great staff, etc.

Here's some pics of somee attractions and stuff iriephotos.blogspot.com.

Just something to consider. Costa Rica is great too

Old 08-23-2010, 05:04 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,870,341 times
Stay away from drugs and you should have no problems. I like Playa DC a little better cause its more of an older and European crowd

Old 08-23-2010, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Costa Rica is great too
I respectfully disagree. Worst place we've ever been to!

Old 08-24-2010, 09:43 AM

721 posts, read 2,662,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I respectfully disagree. Worst place we've ever been to!
Jamaica and Costa Rica both seem to be love it or hate it places. I've brought people to both places with me and had some people love it and go back everyear now and others who had amiserable time.

If your the type of person who expects american disneyland in another country you wont enjoy these places. If your able to just embrace where you are and go wtih the flow its the best vacation ever

You didnt mention anything about why you didnt like it? Also what part of costa rica were you in? Pacific coast is the best imho

Old 08-24-2010, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
Jamaica and Costa Rica both seem to be love it or hate it places. I've brought people to both places with me and had some people love it and go back everyear now and others who had amiserable time.

If your the type of person who expects american disneyland in another country you wont enjoy these places. If your able to just embrace where you are and go wtih the flow its the best vacation ever

You didnt mention anything about why you didnt like it? Also what part of costa rica were you in? Pacific coast is the best imho
That's the thing, we wanted to experience the culture and all we got was a bunch of Americans in cities created for them, with jacked up prices everywhere. Zero culture in Costa Rica and it felt like we were at some (very)dirty American city no matter where we went. We travel all the time, neither of us is American by birth so to say we expect American Disney is ridiculous.

I did mention why I didn't like it in an entire post dedicated to it. The top reason? Child prostitution just rubs me the very, very wrong way and any country that condones it will never get a penny out of me again.

Lots of pictures from Costa Rica

Old 08-24-2010, 11:26 AM

42 posts, read 47,593 times
Red face ďWhat would I need to bringĒ

If this is an adult camp, it sounds to me no one has any clothes on. If this was the case I would only come if this: Going to wear to fancier blue Dockers pants, a fancy shirt from Macys or Nordstromís. Iíll have shoes on at least 100 dollars. Iím going to buy a 1000 dollar jacket from Beverley Hills.

Iím going to bring a radio CD player, battery operated television, books to read because while you guys are outside cold and uncomfortable without clothes I will be comfortably inside my tent fully clothed with things to do on this camping trip. If anyone wants to be a true friend with all clothes on watch some TV listen to music. I can bring some games too. The tent will be a good distance away for their privacy and mine. For me to be an adult is to be in sound mind responsible. We can have fun in clean ways. If a man and woman happen to meet thatís one thing but a planned deal Iíll stay over here because Iím sure the things I wanted to bring would not be recommended at this gather. . There better things to do. I really believe so. Call me dull but also call me No Aids no STD victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or