U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-26-2010, 10:38 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,465,024 times
Reputation: 36100

Advertisements

I suffer from a condition known as "Terminal Anxiety". I'm riding a bus in a country where I do not know the language at all, approaching a city that I know nothing about, and have no idea where the bus station is, and I will be ejected from the bus when it pulls into the Terminal. Terminal Anxiety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-27-2010, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Tucson/Nogales
17,473 posts, read 21,336,575 times
Reputation: 24352
My brother had been prodding me to go to NYC with him, he'd never been there, I hadn't been there in 20 years, but I went anyway just as a favor to him, but I had said: 4 days only! I wasn't even sure I could stand that place for 2 days! Grrr.....

Well, well, well! After 20 years, and riding the subway everywhere, and seeing all the changes in that time frame, I couldn't wait to go back.

Went again last April. Now what other places I'm grrr...ing that I should go to and be equally surprised!

BTW, as for being a Las Vegas resident, I don't go to "Las Vegas" (meaning the Strip) but once a year, if that. And when I do go, I shake my head in wonder: How on earth do they get all these people to come here!

Last edited by tijlover; 08-27-2010 at 12:23 AM.. Reason: Edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-27-2010, 09:35 AM
 
28,306 posts, read 40,015,711 times
Reputation: 36825
I've never experienced that because I've never been that anxious about going somewhere. I have, on the other hand, gone someplace I thought I'd like and will never go back as a tourist.

Nashville. Worst city I've ever visited. Terrible treatment by waiters, waitresses, managers, hotel workers, you name it.

The only decent person we met was the guy who fixed our window. The window that some thief broke out in the hotel parking lot. The hotel that knew there was an ongoing problem and had so little consideration for their guests that they did not tell them to empty valuables from their cars. The hotel that didn't give a damn the next morning when it was discovered that a couple lost all the gifts they were given for their 50th wedding anniversary because they were taken from the trunk of their car (not us).

Nashville. The worst city I will never visit again.

I was in the area recently for a business trip my wife took. We stayed south of Nashville and only got close to the city when we drove past it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2010, 03:43 AM
 
Location: Florida
19,879 posts, read 20,001,383 times
Reputation: 23372
Re Vegas...the buildings,the creations, if you will....seeing what imagination can achieve
But then, I love architecture
Favorite things...the Bellagio fountains, the Laser show downtown and just looking at the buildings/casinos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-28-2010, 06:27 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,036 posts, read 22,057,529 times
Reputation: 19914
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Re Vegas...the buildings,the creations, if you will....seeing what imagination can achieve
But then, I love architecture
Favorite things...the Bellagio fountains, the Laser show downtown and just looking at the buildings/casinos
I am a huge architecture fan and I am afraid to me Vegas is mostly "mock" architecture. It seems to specialise in simply Disneyfying a very narrow view of the world.


I also find the scale of things inhuman and the whole atmosphere of the city to me is noxious because it reeks so much of fakery and excess. Conspicuous consumption taken to the extremes with a total lack of taste. I find it vulgar, loud mouthed and simply banal. All style ( and bad one at that) and no substance. Superficial and vapid, I suppose a perfect city for our times.

I remember wondering around one the casinos as an experience and this terrible sense of nausea from the appalling noise, the fluorescent lighting , everything lacked a sense of proportion and of time. It made me feel alien to my own specie. A sense of displacement and of artificial life.

To me Vegas is possibly one of the worst places on the planet. I cannot see anything redeeming about it about from the Desert around it. It does exemplify everything modern society should be ashamed of.

Dante's circles of hell sums it up perfectly to me. I am an Atheist but if Hell existed it would have to be like Vegas . For me anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 08:27 AM
 
28,306 posts, read 40,015,711 times
Reputation: 36825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Absolutely spot on.


I was going to write almost the same thing. Hawaii to me was somewhere I really was not keen on ( I still hate Honolulu and some of the over developed beach resorts with a vengeance though) but thought I would give it a go.

I did a lot of reading and managed to avoid most of the plastic synthetic areas and found some of the more sublime landscapes on the planet. I really want to take Hubby there one day now.



On the other hand I went to Vegas expecting to loathe it and realised it was even worse than I imagined ! it is about my idea of Dante's circles of Hell on earth. I would literally not go back there unless you paid me large sums of money and then would simply take a lot of books with me, and spend the time in my room trying to get away in my head from the tacky, vile, gharish, loud, vulgar place. Vegas represents everything I loathe about Humanity and our society. The prime example as to why we are doomed as a specie. Hieronymous Bosch's paintings come to life.

The best thing about Vegas was the road out of it into the Desert. Oh and I had a great seafood buffet meal at the Bellagio's. Anything else made me feel tainted, dirty and all I could see was greed, gawdiness, conspicuous consumption and environmental insanity. I would rather spend a month in mud hut than that gawd-awful dump of a place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I agree but it can also reinforce a lot of negative feelings.


I knew for example Vegas was not for me but I gave it a try and it turned out even worse than expected. Nothing could have quite prepared me for the extent of my hatred for the place ! I resent the time I wasted when I could have spent more time in the Desert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
I am a huge architecture fan and I am afraid to me Vegas is mostly "mock" architecture. It seems to specialise in simply Disneyfying a very narrow view of the world.


I also find the scale of things inhuman and the whole atmosphere of the city to me is noxious because it reeks so much of fakery and excess. Conspicuous consumption taken to the extremes with a total lack of taste. I find it vulgar, loud mouthed and simply banal. All style ( and bad one at that) and no substance. Superficial and vapid, I suppose a perfect city for our times.

I remember wondering around one the casinos as an experience and this terrible sense of nausea from the appalling noise, the fluorescent lighting , everything lacked a sense of proportion and of time. It made me feel alien to my own specie. A sense of displacement and of artificial life.

To me Vegas is possibly one of the worst places on the planet. I cannot see anything redeeming about it about from the Desert around it. It does exemplify everything modern society should be ashamed of.

Dante's circles of hell sums it up perfectly to me. I am an Atheist but if Hell existed it would have to be like Vegas . For me anyway.
Believe it or not we have all figured out you hate Las Vegas. Enough already.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 09:51 AM
 
Location: Oxford, England
13,036 posts, read 22,057,529 times
Reputation: 19914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Believe it or not we have all figured out you hate Las Vegas. Enough already.

Wow. Simply Wow. A real charmer aren't you ? Believe it or not I have now figured out what a total jerk you are. Sorry I had not realised I was not allowed to answer points raised. I am now fully chastised and shall beat my chest and pull my hair out in total contrition. Happy Buddy ?

Oh and just to make sure you know : YEP I LOATHE VEGAS. LOATHE, LOATHE, LOATHE IT. Shall I repeat if for you. If it annoys you that much I might simply have to write this a thousand times... It would be worthwhile by the sound of it. Nah can't be bothered.

I can't quite be bothered to read all your posts ( no doubt all of them equally charming) but I am sure you have never in your life elaborated on one subject . EVER. After all this is not supposed to be a dialogue in any way and all of us are only entitled one post on one subject.

The ignore list is such a wonderful thing isn't it.

Take a chill pill or see to the attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 12:29 PM
 
Location: San Diego
5,027 posts, read 13,447,474 times
Reputation: 4849
I thought this thread was about having negative reactions before going but then being pleasantly surprised once you got there? All I see is people complaining about a particular location, and nothing in regards to what the OP asked for. There already is a thread bashing places, this isn't the one!

Basically, if you had a trip booked to NYC and was having second thoughts about it but then went and had a great time, this is the thread for you. If you had second thoughts and think it's the worst city ever, the other thread is for you! This thread is about being pleasantly surprised about a destination you weren't excited about visiting, not about bashing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 01:40 PM
 
Location: Bike to Surf!
3,080 posts, read 9,959,688 times
Reputation: 2983
Jaipur, India. After Delhi, we were dreading backpacking through another dusty city in northern India. While there were the usual slums surrounding the town, touts, and poverty everywhere, the hilltop fortresses, incredibly cheap prices, and upbeat friendly locals led to a much better experience than we expected.

We were encouraged to go there by a Indian family who opened their home to us. They were right, it was well worth spending extra time going to Jaipur instead of sitting around in Agra.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-30-2010, 07:14 PM
 
28,306 posts, read 40,015,711 times
Reputation: 36825
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I thought this thread was about having negative reactions before going but then being pleasantly surprised once you got there? All I see is people complaining about a particular location, and nothing in regards to what the OP asked for. There already is a thread bashing places, this isn't the one!

Basically, if you had a trip booked to NYC and was having second thoughts about it but then went and had a great time, this is the thread for you. If you had second thoughts and think it's the worst city ever, the other thread is for you! This thread is about being pleasantly surprised about a destination you weren't excited about visiting, not about bashing!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooseketeer View Post
Wow. Simply Wow. A real charmer aren't you ? Believe it or not I have now figured out what a total jerk you are. Sorry I had not realised I was not allowed to answer points raised. I am now fully chastised and shall beat my chest and pull my hair out in total contrition. Happy Buddy ?

Oh and just to make sure you know : YEP I LOATHE VEGAS. LOATHE, LOATHE, LOATHE IT. Shall I repeat if for you. If it annoys you that much I might simply have to write this a thousand times... It would be worthwhile by the sound of it. Nah can't be bothered.

I can't quite be bothered to read all your posts ( no doubt all of them equally charming) but I am sure you have never in your life elaborated on one subject . EVER. After all this is not supposed to be a dialogue in any way and all of us are only entitled one post on one subject.

The ignore list is such a wonderful thing isn't it.

Take a chill pill or see to the attitude.


And, yes, ignore is a great feature. One which I use when needed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top