U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2010, 06:36 PM

14,253 posts, read 15,339,238 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alley01 View Post
If they have business class tickets in your price range, get them. Because paying an extra $150 each way for United's crappy extra leg room economy plus - whatever they call it isn't worth it. Try to move around when you can, get some sleep and drink plenty of water. Avoid anything carbonated. But, you are in economy and really there isn't much you can do. For flights that long, it is worth paying for business class although sometimes they charge so much more for it that it isn't a possibility. Luckily, the company pays for that...
I agree that you can shop around and get some okay business class fares. I find day flights in coach much more bearable than night flights. Going to Europe you can get day flights from JFK to London and probably to a few other European destinations. That can be a good alternative to the red-eye and you are not wrecked for the whole of the next day either. We flew to London, landed at about 8.30pm and got a pretty good rate at the Sofitel in Terminal 5. It was about the same price as getting those "extra-room" seats except that we got a really good nights sleep.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2010, 07:07 PM

12,303 posts, read 18,425,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I agree that you can shop around and get some okay business class fares. I find day flights in coach much more bearable than night flights. Going to Europe you can get day flights from JFK to London and probably to a few other European destinations. That can be a good alternative to the red-eye and you are not wrecked for the whole of the next day either. We flew to London, landed at about 8.30pm and got a pretty good rate at the Sofitel in Terminal 5. It was about the same price as getting those "extra-room" seats except that we got a really good nights sleep.
Bargains for business class international? I don't know, that's an airlines bread and butter. Normally they go for 5 or 10 times a coach class ticket. They won't even let me, a platinum elite, upgrade to business class on international without a full fare ticket, even if the cabin is empty (domestic is different, i very rarely sit in back). Seriously, if you are paying $500 for coach, expect $3,000 plus for business minimum. That's alot to pay for comfort.

Old 08-26-2010, 07:20 PM

2,187 posts, read 6,835,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Bargains for business class international? I don't know, that's an airlines bread and butter. Normally they go for 5 or 10 times a coach class ticket. They won't even let me, a platinum elite, upgrade to business class on international without a full fare ticket, even if the cabin is empty (domestic is different, i very rarely sit in back). Seriously, if you are paying $500 for coach, expect $3,000 plus for business minimum. That's alot to pay for comfort.
I agree - the deals can be rare because it just takes one trip traveling coach or coach plus to put up the extra money for business. Plus, most companies, like mine require us to be upgraded to Business class if our flights are over a certain length or to a certain region of the World. If I travel long distances, I just split my travel up to as many layovers as possible so that I can manage to stay in coach without getting off the plane and feeling horrible. Your best chance of finding a decent price for the upgrade is to talk to the gate agent. They aren't nearly as interested in ripping you off. They are more interested in getting you out of their face as quickly as possible.

Old 08-26-2010, 10:27 PM

4,836 posts, read 10,193,047 times
Lots of water this is key. Also if you have leg problems like you said make sure to get an aisle seat so you wont hesitate in getting up every 2 hours. I have never had a problem like that. But when flying 7+ hour flights I always get up 2-3 times. 6 hours or under it depends. I flew BOS-London about six months ago did not get up once. Slept most of the flight. Most of the time I wont sleep much maybe 3-4 hours max no matter if it is a 7 hour flight or a 14 hour flight. But make sure you walk around! Also take your shoes off. Roll your ankles, try to touch your toes. Lift your legs off the seat etc.. As long as you keep moving around a bit and get out of your seat every 2 hours you should be fine.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:55 AM

737 posts, read 2,249,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I doubt many business class passengers are going back to coach as has been described previously (for one thing - airlines pack flights nowadays, you will rarely have more than a couple seats empty).
Yeah, they really did.. back in the day. Traveled ATL/CDG once a month and often found 3 seats available to take a real nap... Delta.

Anyway, point is, keep hydrated and keep moving. Of course I rarely followed that advice but on the rare occasion I did, I felt great getting into CDG early a.m.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:31 AM

1,492 posts, read 6,961,429 times
Thanks everyone. Yes, the upgraded classes are way more. I paid $1300 and the next class up is $3500. And I'm paying for my teenager to come so 7k in tickets is out of the question.

They do have that upgrade for the economy plus seat- but the other poster said it wasn't worth it.

I'll follow your advice on the tips and also look for vacant rows when I check in online....probably won't have any but you never know....a flight I took to HNL years ago...1/2 the plane was empty. I took the entire middle row (the long one) and slept. Maybe I'll get lucky again.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:28 AM

7,983 posts, read 11,667,446 times
I don't have any different tips for the leg swelling but on long military flights to the mid-east I always packed truly comfortable clothes - sweat pants and a loose long sleeve t-shirt, some thick socks that I changed into when on board, sort of like changing into jammies.

I also took a washcloth in a ziplock and a handtowel, toothbrush, so I could freshen up, plus a pair of clean underwear to change into. And then actually some of the frequent refueling airports that we used had free showers handy, so several times about halfway I jumped into the shower. It just made me feel so much better and slamming beers or just sitting around was boring anyway.

Now for long flights just comfortable clothes and though ugly I wear my hard rubber Birkenstock garden clogs. Easy slip on and off at TSA and during the flight.

I wonder if it would be a good idea to take baby aspirin for the possible clotting thing?

Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 PM

367 posts, read 953,397 times
Comfy clothes are key for long flights. Also check seatguru.com to make sure you know where to get one of the better offerings as far as seats go, even if it's coach. Find out what kind of plane it is - I see quite a bit of flights to Europe being narrow body planes (757's). Not much room to stretch on for a 8.5 hr flight, plus any kind of weather issues may force the plane to land elsewhere to refuel (happened to me last year). Definitely worth a few more bucks to get on a wide body plane which typically have better range/fuel capacity.
I don't feel hydration is an issue, as long as you drink (and not just alcohol) when you are thirsty. Drink too much and you'll have to hit the restroom all the time.

Any long flights I go on will also be with my Bose QC headphones (worth the money!!) and my netbook for movies in case the in-flight entertainment is limited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel