U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 06:04 AM

7,979 posts, read 11,657,672 times

Advertisements

Basically they are saying that all the search engines don't find the cheapest price when a flight switches from hub to smaller regional route.
That you should search for individual flights and book them that way yourself.
They give some examples
Good tip I thought, too late for me now for my Sept trip.

"Imperfect search technology hits travelers wallets"

BBC News - Home
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 06:31 AM

9,126 posts, read 17,129,667 times
Down side of booking seperate tickets is if your inbound flight is late and/or canceled the carrier on 2nd flight wont re-book you for free. To them you look like a O/D passenger they don't know anything about your inbound flight. So when you show up to get re-ticketed, they will go you missed your flight to bad, buy a new ticket at walk up price (round trip) because they also canceled your return when you were a no/show.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:49 AM

7,979 posts, read 11,657,672 times
Hmm. I wonder if there's a way around that. I mean, if Orbits books "a trip" going from A to B and B to C for 700. Your saying thats a trip and if your late the airline system knows.
But you find that A to B is 300 and B to c is 200 for a total of 500 - is there a way to get them booked as "a trip" - like the article suggests a travel agent? The AAA agent I used did not find anything cheaper for me though someone here recently said theirs did.
If you find it and have them book it - wouldn't that work?

Old 08-28-2010, 06:56 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,914,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
Down side of booking seperate tickets is if your inbound flight is late and/or canceled the carrier on 2nd flight wont re-book you for free. To them you look like a O/D passenger they don't know anything about your inbound flight. So when you show up to get re-ticketed, they will go you missed your flight to bad, buy a new ticket at walk up price (round trip) because they also canceled your return when you were a no/show.
Yes.

Airfarewatchdog did an article about this recently. Supposedly, new technology is coming that will assuage this situation. Most people who book their own trips have known (and fumed) about it for some time now.

And sometimes just looking at the set-up can be frustrating.
It was infuriating for me a couple years ago when I was trying to book a flight to Paris and saw a flight to Frankfurt which was hundreds of dollars cheaper--and had a stop in Paris. Of course I could not book it.

Using multiple airlines can be tricky--and a walk-up ticket could be pricey, just as Flyonpa says.
We have successfully done the multiple airline thing many times, and so far have been lucky. There have been delays and even cancellations, but nothing ever happened that totally derailed our trip.

Old 08-28-2010, 06:59 AM

If the Trip is with in the same airline FF group (ie: star, oneworld, Sky) interconnect info is directly shared. Off network on one reserveration, The connection Flag is sent to 2nd... airline in the reservation record that orbitz sends over. So in 2nd Airline computer is know that you are connecting on one itinery, Most don't know who/flight you are connecting from, (that info is send but they may not keep it) but they know that you are connecting. If you book seperate tickets, there is know way for orbitz to tell 2nd airline that you are connecting, to them you are a O/D ticket and that how they sent it over to the airline.

Old 08-28-2010, 07:17 AM

Also Oribtz (etc) check to make sure the two flight are a legal connection. There are min connection times, on same airlines, interline with in same terminal, interline cross terminals, Internation to Dom. & Dom to international. You may find two flight but if the Min connection time is 2hours, and the two flight arrive/depart 1:59 min apart, it not a legal connection and res system will not show it (or allow it to be booked) as a connecting flight. Can you ticket it yourself and make it? Most likely Yes 99% of the time. But that 1% where you cant you are paying full fare/Walkup (unless you can talk the 2nd airline staff into letting you re-book for free),
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or