U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 07:24 PM

8,566 posts, read 9,666,384 times

Advertisements

Looking for some direction, good ideas and/or answers. Adult male, 62, no attachments. I've been to the euro zone a few times, lived in Lisbon as a child and now looking for an adventure. The only schedule I have is my dog, about 16 y.o., and will be moving on soon. He's awesome. After the dog goes I want to take an adventure. Funds will be limited to SS but would otherwise be enough to live on where I am.

I would like to spend some time in the euro countries, moving from one to the other at different points in time, depending on seasons or events. Staying in pensions or renting space in someone's home. I don't require much, a bit of security, cleanliness, a couple of snacks a day, water.

From experience, I fully enjoy walking the euro cities any time of day or night, sometimes not realizing lack of safety.

Is there some bureau or agency that would handle affairs of an adventurer in transit? Would there be a restriction on staying within the euro market other than a single country's limited visitation? Is there a website to meet up with other people doing the same thing? I wouldn't really have any reason to return to the U.S. other than to vote or... well, nothing.

Thanks for looking up...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 12:59 AM

86 posts, read 153,008 times
Sounds like you want to become a Debit Card Gypsy. No Home, possessions, except what carry with you. And of course a debit card & credit card to access your funds.

You might want to look at this website Retire Early Lifestyle. At 62 you won't be an early retiree. But the lifestyle they lead and write about sounds like what your looking for

Old 08-29-2010, 06:09 AM

7,980 posts, read 11,659,551 times
I worked with someone's parents who did this. They would stay with each of their sons for a couple months out of the year, build some funds. The rest of the time they would go to some foreign country and sub-let an apt and stay for a couple of months and basically just hang out.
I'm sure there are websites with forums for this kind of thing. This forum is probably not going to get you far.
I think in Europe it used to be that you could find individudals hanging around at the train stations with rooms to rent, that sort of thing. Not sure they do that too much anymore with the way things are, but if you do this and land someplace without lodging, keep an eye out. They are probably standing around looking people over.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:19 AM

737 posts, read 2,248,514 times
Road Scholar: Educational Travel and Learning Vacations for Adults from Alaska to Italy

you can look up adventures and receive special offers, meet other like-minded people. bon voyage!

Old 08-29-2010, 07:23 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,621,989 times
no advise to give, just want to say how jealous i am!!!
i wish i could do this too!

Old 08-29-2010, 10:08 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times
Sounds like a wonderful opportunity!
I agree with Giesela that there are other places to research this.
Just googling "expat" will bring you several choices, depending on what area interests you most.
But here is a start:
You cannot stay in any Schengen country for more than 90 days at a time.
Schengen Fact Sheet (and other tips)

Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,632,455 times
As far as I know you can stay for 90 days in the Schengen-Area without a visa. If you want to stay longer, you may have to obtain a visa. I am not sure whether it is possible to stay longer without a special purpose (job, studies...).

Schengen Fact Sheet

However, I wish you a lot of fun in Europe. I'd like to visit Lisbon too one day.

Old 08-30-2010, 04:43 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,917,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
As far as I know you can stay for 90 days in the Schengen-Area without a visa. If you want to stay longer, you may have to obtain a visa. I am not sure whether it is possible to stay longer without a special purpose (job, studies...).
Correct!
Staying longer with a visa is possible, but involves red tape, and you can't restart the clock to a new 90 days (in a six month period) by leaving, then returning.
Having said this, I think travelers do frequently over-stay without running into any trouble, but that's another story.

Old 08-30-2010, 08:15 PM

9,595 posts, read 17,174,264 times
My 2 favorite websites should get you started: BootsnAll Travel Network :: Travel Community, Travel Stories, Cheap Tickets, Youth Hostels and all your travel needs and Portal for Work Abroad, Study Abroad, Cultural Travel and Living Overseas. I'll ride in your suitcase for free, but gotta go now and check out that road scholar link.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel