U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 11:01 PM

13,169 posts, read 20,795,870 times

Advertisements

I can't figure out why I am having so much difficulty finding a direct flight from Atlanta to St. Martin this fall. The majority of what is available has either multiple stops or layovers making a 3.5 hour trip into a 18-24 hour one.

Is it just the time of year? We don't usually go in the fall. I know it's hurricane season, but St. Martin isn't usually affected. Delta seems to have stopped service between ATL and SXM, which is adding to the frustration.

If it is just the time of year, I will rethink my dates, but if it is going to be like this from now on I would look for another destination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 03:41 PM

721 posts, read 2,663,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
I can't figure out why I am having so much difficulty finding a direct flight from Atlanta to St. Martin this fall. The majority of what is available has either multiple stops or layovers making a 3.5 hour trip into a 18-24 hour one.

Is it just the time of year? We don't usually go in the fall. I know it's hurricane season, but St. Martin isn't usually affected. Delta seems to have stopped service between ATL and SXM, which is adding to the frustration.

If it is just the time of year, I will rethink my dates, but if it is going to be like this from now on I would look for another destination.
I've never really looked into flights from ATL, I was disapointed when Air Jamaica got bought and that ended direct flights from Chicago. American and USA3000 picked up direct flights from ORD though.

Check out Caribbean Airlines, USA3000 and Spirit, I dont knwo about atl but they tend to have the best caribbean flights

Old 08-30-2010, 11:05 PM

21,365 posts, read 24,109,773 times
Alot of routes were lost due to changes required to do passport control. They could no longer use the same terminals due to TSA constraints. It was much easier when an American drivers license was enough.

As to your iteniary from ATL there are numerous routes with one stop and the trip taking about 7 hours. US Airways seems to have the best price for your trip.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:14 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,260,566 times
Have you checked for Saturday flights? I always fly US Airways out of Philly to SXM on a Saturday and they have two direct flights there and back.

Old 09-01-2010, 05:04 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
Where Delta flys from atl has to do with $'s. What route will make them the most money, make best use of the aircraft and gates. The international arrival gates in ATL are limited, Long haul international flights make them the most money. so they will use the gates for flights to far off places. Outbound flight can use any gate.
Caribbean flights tend to be vacation, lower price tickets, so they dont make much money off them. If Delta could fill the plane with high priced tickets they would fly there in a second.

Old 09-03-2010, 12:07 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,879,146 times
I've always used American as I think they have the most flights. Either through Miami or San Juan.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:32 AM

13,169 posts, read 20,795,870 times
I appreciate all the responses. I checked each and every one, and came up empty handed. USAir has such a strange routing that we couldn't do it in less then 18 hours. American was a bit better going down, but the return trip had us going from SXM, to Philly, then to Atlanta. I just can't figure out why it is cheaper for the airlines to do that than stop in Atlanta before heading up to the northeast.

At this point we're resigned to another location.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:59 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
Took a look at DL one flight a day they have to SXM, The plane are totaly book, maybe 2 seats in coach, and 2 in F/C. Makes me think that someone has block book'ed a bunch of seats. Maybe a ship pass. going 1 way to/from. Hotels/resorts running packages?

Old 09-03-2010, 10:53 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,190,110 times
I was surprised when I read the thread and looked myself and your right. I guess because it is the off season and the ATL-SXM flight is sold out. Your best bet would be spend a night in Miami. American is the largest airline in the region with their Miami hub and San Jaun focus city.

Old 09-03-2010, 05:33 PM

12,054 posts, read 20,260,566 times
You cannot go by the airline website to see if the seats are filled. When I made my SXM reservations this summer, there were no available seats on the flight back except for the ones that I booked. When I logged on to do an online check-in for our return flight, most of the flight was empty. For $15 per person, I moved up from Row 28 to Row 6 and baggage was free.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel