U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 12:34 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times

Advertisements

I've done the Y route in a few different places and have had a good experience (the one in Bath England stands out for some reason)

I've also stayed at religious hotels for a good value in major cities in the US .... they had very stringent rules (like no mixing of genders on the floor, had to wear pants and footwear when visible in the hotel, etc) ......... however, the rooms were very nice, TV, full desk, private - depending on the purpose of the travel those worked out alright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 12:35 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,424,156 times
you can also look at universities to see if they run a hotel or if they rent out dorm rooms at all

Old 08-31-2010, 09:00 PM

17,382 posts, read 21,223,392 times
One of the pluses to staying at a Y, especially in NYC is you don't pay that outrageous room tax, as the Y's are non-profit org.'s.

I stayed at the Vanderbilt Y in NYC last April, one bunk per room, with TV,
writing desk, community bathrooms/showers, for $35, and no added taxes.

Great location near the United Nations, an excellent Amish grocery store/deli right around the corner.

In a normal hotel, at $100 a night, you're going to pay close to an additional $20 in room taxes.

Old 09-02-2010, 12:48 AM

7,653 posts, read 15,331,160 times
jlawrence01: I have visited Priceline on multiple occasions, and never really understood how it worked. I've also been to Hotwire in passing, but your post inspired me to re-visit it, and I actually think I'm going to book a few nights in Chicago in a two-star hotel there I found for very cheap! However, after playing around with it, its functionality seems limited to larger cities (at least in the Midwest). For example, I couldn't find anything in Door County under $99 / night with it.

jtur88: I've been to Ashland many times, considering I live about 65 miles away from it. Beautiful town. However, this will be a trip to "log" new counties I've never visited before.

Finger Lakers: I said "hostal", NOT "hostel". Backpackers frequent hostels; normal people frequent hostales. Although hostels often have private rooms, their centerpiece accommodation is usually dormitory-style rooms. The best description I can give of a "hostal" is a very small family-run hotel with private room. Also, they seem to be located much of the time in otherwise normal apartment buildings.

Old 09-02-2010, 11:48 AM

14,258 posts, read 23,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
jlawrence01: I have visited Priceline on multiple occasions, and never really understood how it worked. I've also been to Hotwire in passing, but your post inspired me to re-visit it, and I actually think I'm going to book a few nights in Chicago in a two-star hotel there I found for very cheap! However, after playing around with it, its functionality seems limited to larger cities (at least in the Midwest). For example, I couldn't find anything in Door County under $99 / night with it.

Priceline/Hotwire sell excess inventories of hotel rooms. Therefore, you are likely to see more participation in areas where there are 30,000 rooms that in a market with 2,500. However, I have been successful in a number of small towns like Charleston, IL, Appleton, WI, Mansfield, OH, etc.

If you are looking for cheap hotels in Chicagoland (not directly in the city of Chicago) the places to look are in there areas:

3* Arlington Heights/ Arlington Heights North/ Schaumburg

Some of the properties are going $25-35 per night. Decent, usually older properties.

2* Lombard/Oakbrook $23-28

You usually get either the Extended Stay on Pasquinelli Rd or the Homestead Suites on Technology Rd. The prices are so low on these hotels that a lot of people stay all month long as it is cheaper than renting an apartment plus utilities plus cable and phone in a month.

In Appleton, WI and the Green Bay airport, you can generally get a room for $30-35 at an Extended Stay America. I am NOT a real fan of ESAs BUT those properties are pretty good.

Hope that helps.

Old 11-26-2016, 06:17 AM

5,926 posts, read 2,887,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Finding little lacking in U.S. Hotels?

To me, no hotel room is complete without a balcony. Can't find a hotel where I'm going with a balcony, I'll stay home!

I wish there was a hotel site just for people like me, people looking for hotels with balconies so we could ignore all the other offerings.

I'm appalled at all these hotels being built today without them. Won't stay in them not even for $25 a night.

And please don't tell me it's a liability issue. There's two new hotel towers opening on the Strip here in Las Vegas, 50+ stories, with balconies.
Your move, Genghis.

Old 11-26-2016, 07:14 AM

15,068 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
That sounds like an excellent value. I think that some hotel entrepreneur needs to start up something similar here in the US. I'm ok with shared restrooms as long as I can have a private place to sleep so I'd use one of these facilities.
Somebody has. It's called Airbnb.

Old 11-30-2016, 05:36 PM

24,980 posts, read 23,891,412 times
Or Micro Hotel.

Old 12-01-2016, 09:05 PM

7,236 posts, read 4,128,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Finding little lacking in U.S. Hotels?

To me, no hotel room is complete without a balcony. Can't find a hotel where I'm going with a balcony, I'll stay home!

I wish there was a hotel site just for people like me, people looking for hotels with balconies so we could ignore all the other offerings.

I'm appalled at all these hotels being built today without them. Won't stay in them not even for $25 a night.

And please don't tell me it's a liability issue. There's two new hotel towers opening on the Strip here in Las Vegas, 50+ stories, with balconies.

It's not a liability issue, it's a cost issue. Why install a balcony when most people are just looking for a place to flop at night. When I stop at a motel or hotel for the night, I'm just looking for a comfortable bed, a toilet and a shower. A balcony is the last thing I'm interested in. Balconies are more appropriate at destination hotels, like those in Hawaii.

Old 12-02-2016, 12:36 AM

6,557 posts, read 3,656,219 times
I've not used Airbnb but considered it for a trip through northern New Mexico in October. There was not a lot to choose from at less than $100-$120. That's pretty rural country and some were old airstream trailers or spare basement rooms. There were hunting and fishing cabins that were looking pretty good once I got there but I found a reasonable motel. In cities I've found that extended stay places can be as low as $35 a night with a small kitchen -- but it seems prices vary by season or how busy they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel