U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 PM

11,879 posts, read 32,912,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coo77 View Post
Detroit is a the second largest hub for Delta Air Lines and their main Midwestern hub. They have several of their flights to Asia and Europe there so many of the passengers are connecting, which is why the amount of passengers is still so high.
Detroit is actually one of my favorite airports. They did a good job when they built the new terminal a few years ago. It's very easy to navigate, and it's not dark and cramped like a lot of older airports (Cleveland, Milwaukee, Memphis, and others). I particularly like the psychedelic light show in that underground walkway that connects the two terminals.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2011, 05:47 PM

18,633 posts, read 27,056,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I have always had good experiences with MCO - seems pretty efficient and for good reason they really handle families and small children better than any other airport IMHO. It is very noticable
Yeah, its a very nice airport. Flew there for the first time last year. Clean and navigable.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:43 PM

28,905 posts, read 46,728,705 times
I think the Houston Airport's ranking is well-earned.

At the same time, I think Atlanta's ranking is way too generous. I have flown through Atlanta about a dozen times in the past few years, and I have always had big delays regardless of airline and time of day. It is so bad that I will bend over backwards to change planes in Dallas, Cincinnati, or just about anywhere else for that matter.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:55 AM

3,076 posts, read 5,449,582 times
Quote:
Detroit is a the second largest hub for Delta Air Lines and their main Midwestern hub. They have several of their flights to Asia and Europe there so many of the passengers are connecting, which is why the amount of passengers is still so high.
Yes, and metro Detroit also has 5 million residents. It is not the ghost town that the media makes it out to be. The city of Detroit itself is losing people fast, but the suburbs are doing OK. There's still a lot of people and wealth in the suburbs.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 AM

8,002 posts, read 16,059,074 times
Let me preface this by saying that I expected Logan to rank poorly due to frequent delays due to weather, delays due to high traffic, unfriendly personnel, expensive parking, and traffic getting to/from the airport. It did rank poorly, but the reasoning behind the poor ranking was surprisingly weak. I think the voters have a notion from a decade or more ago that they can't change.

Quote:
Logan Airport sure does try to please travelers, with its kids’ play areas, rocking chairs, free WiFi, and even an on-site spa—but AFC voters aren’t noticing, ranking it 22nd for entertainment.
The above amenities are better than most airports. It's not to hard to find these things either. I never get too bored at Logan (especially due to free wifi and plenty of power hookups).

Quote:
Logan lands near the bottom (No. 28) for design and functionality, which includes layout and good signage,
Now this I can see. I've always maligned Logan's lack of connectivity to the other terminals. Rest assured, you CAN connect, but the quickest way may be walking through Central Parking. Boston needs a "skytrain" or something similar.

Quote:
and ranks No. 25 for transportation both inside and outside the airport.
Again, I have to call BS. inside the airport, it's not great (though there are plenty of moving walkways, etc), but that's sort of been covered in the previous criteria. Outside the airport, you have to be kidding me. I can't think of another major international airport (DCA is a good one too) that's so well connected to the city via transportation. You can take .the Blue Line subway from Logan to downtown in 3(!) stops. You can take the Silver Line to South Station very quickly too and from there, your connections are limitless (Amtrak, Acela, local subway, commuter rail, regional bus, local bus). I'm not even getting into the hotel shuttle connectivity since all the hotels (even downtown hotels) are so close.

Again, I'm not surprised Logan ranks poorly. However, the criteria is a little screwy.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,765,765 times
Newark has come a LONG way over the past 20 years, but agree it has a long way to go and not surprised it's #1 worst (along with JFK/LGA). I think a big part of it is delays - it doesn't have the runways to handle the volume. However, I would choose it over JFK/LGA - IMO those are ugly horror shows, and further from midtown than EWR.

I love MCO - great airport.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:17 AM

13,220 posts, read 17,957,502 times
EWR was kind of filthy when I transferred there.

By the way, Travel & Leisure's lists are missing a few cities (Detroit, Pittsburgh, Portland, Tampa).

Old 06-27-2011, 08:24 AM

8,002 posts, read 16,059,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
Newark has come a LONG way over the past 20 years, but agree it has a long way to go and not surprised it's #1 worst (along with JFK/LGA). I think a big part of it is delays - it doesn't have the runways to handle the volume. However, I would choose it over JFK/LGA - IMO those are ugly horror shows, and further from midtown than EWR.
EWR, in my opinion, is a nightmare. It's by far my least favorite airport to fly into and I fly there frequently (frequent transfers from BOS, especially on Continental). My big thing is the delays. Almost every time I fly in, we're waiting for a gate to open up. At departure, you frequently hear, "Ladies and Gentlemen, we're number 18 in line for take off so it we'll be a little late departing." The lines on the taxiways are horrific.

Beyond that, I find that the staff is often incredibly unhelpful and rude. Even if they were super sweet, I'd still hate flying there because of the delays which seem at this point, inevitable.

One comedian I listened to made this funny comment about EWR: "Newark Airport. It's the Newark of Airports."

I do, however, agree that it's often times easier to get to Manhattan from EWR than JFK or LGA.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:39 AM

57 posts, read 101,780 times
Growing up in Atlanta, it is always a headache to go to Hartsfield-Jackson. However, ATL has the most traffic of any other airport in the world every year. You definitely feel that you're in a small city at the airport for that reason alone. They have done some remodeling, but mostly just additions to compensate for the large amounts of traffic. It has a lot of food options, but its really just a gargantuan airport.

Now that I live in DC - their airports are even worse.

Old 06-27-2011, 08:47 AM

717 posts, read 700,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brain86 View Post
Growing up in Atlanta, it is always a headache to go to Hartsfield-Jackson. However, ATL has the most traffic of any other airport in the world every year. You definitely feel that you're in a small city at the airport for that reason alone. They have done some remodeling, but mostly just additions to compensate for the large amounts of traffic. It has a lot of food options, but its really just a gargantuan airport.
True, that airport feels like a city within a city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or