U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2011, 11:49 AM

6,435 posts, read 9,953,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigo5110 View Post
America's Best and Worst Airports

I hope that link works. For the avid travelers among us, feel free to discuss.
I love Dallas/Ft.Worth International. Such a nice and big airport with so many food choices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 11:57 AM

6,435 posts, read 9,953,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalie Brown View Post
Atlanta airport: crowded, hectic, kinda dirty, lots and lots of black people
I see lots and lots of white people at mostly all the airports I've ever been to and that's never bothered me. And speaking of the Atlanta Hartsfield airport, I was transferred to that exact airport when I was traveling to France for spring break. I barely saw any black people to be completely honest. So I don't know where your statement is coming from.

Old 06-27-2011, 01:15 PM

1,939 posts, read 3,982,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
I see lots and lots of white people at mostly all the airports I've ever been to and that's never bothered me. And speaking of the Atlanta Hartsfield airport, I was transferred to that exact airport when I was traveling to France for spring break. I barely saw any black people to be completely honest. So I don't know where your statement is coming from.

Maybe he meant the people who are employed there, and yes, they are mostly Black, and Latino.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:46 PM

717 posts, read 700,610 times
When I was last at that airport (back in 06) the employees and passengers alike seemed to be mostly black. I didn't say I had a problem with it, nor did I say that it was always like that. It was merely an observation. Y'all read way too much into stuff. Go sit down.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:31 AM

564 posts, read 1,833,601 times
I actually prefer Houston's Hobby Airport to IAH (although, IAH is very clean and comfortable in itself). I'm not much of a flyer to begin with, but even so, Hobby is so quaint and straight-forward that you have to giggle a little as you're walking through the terminal. Parking is pretty simple too, which is a big plus for people like me. In this, Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood Int'l seemed to be very similar in design, although it has been years since I last visited it.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM

12,284 posts, read 31,762,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
EWR, in my opinion, is a nightmare. It's by far my least favorite airport to fly into and I fly there frequently (frequent transfers from BOS, especially on Continental). My big thing is the delays. Almost every time I fly in, we're waiting for a gate to open up. At departure, you frequently hear, "Ladies and Gentlemen, we're number 18 in line for take off so it we'll be a little late departing." The lines on the taxiways are horrific.

Beyond that, I find that the staff is often incredibly unhelpful and rude. Even if they were super sweet, I'd still hate flying there because of the delays which seem at this point, inevitable.

One comedian I listened to made this funny comment about EWR: "Newark Airport. It's the Newark of Airports."

I do, however, agree that it's often times easier to get to Manhattan from EWR than JFK or LGA.
I don't disagree with this. Imagine how it was 20 years ago if it's light years better today!

Old 06-29-2011, 11:24 AM

22,331 posts, read 32,152,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
I don't disagree with this. Imagine how it was 20 years ago if it's light years better today!

An oddly still take EWR over JFK or LGA any day of the week. Oddly EWR at times makes PHL look good; and that is for an airport that is, well lets call it serviceable

The delays are just killer - sux being in the busiest airspace in the country in many ways. BTW Logan is no picnic either but think better than EWR or PHL for that matter.

I often now fly to PVD (eleviates on delay pain point unfortunately not the PHL part for me personally) when going to the Boston area, especially for Waltham and points west

Old 06-29-2011, 12:03 PM

12,284 posts, read 31,762,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
An oddly still take EWR over JFK or LGA any day of the week. Oddly EWR at times makes PHL look good; and that is for an airport that is, well lets call it serviceable

The delays are just killer - sux being in the busiest airspace in the country in many ways. BTW Logan is no picnic either but think better than EWR or PHL for that matter.

I often now fly to PVD (eleviates on delay pain point unfortunately not the PHL part for me personally) when going to the Boston area, especially for Waltham and points west
Absolutely 100% agree with this. I'd agree even if I didn't live closest to EWR. I can't stand JFK/LGA.

I've never flown out of Philly but I have family in Central Jersey who love it - they say it's really less crowded than EWR. Problem is you can usually fly out of EWR more cheaply.

I always look into ABE when we need to fly (about the same distance for me as EWR), but it's either significantly more $$ or they BUS you to EWR! LOL

Old 09-19-2011, 02:52 PM

1,558 posts, read 2,393,515 times
Dallas-Ft. Worth International
Raleigh-Durham Terminal 2
Denver International
San Diego
Ft. Lauderdale
Charlotte
Austin-Bergstrom International

All very modern clean easy to access airports.

Miami International is by far super disorganized, at least the last time I was there. and JFK and Philly are just in need of some major modernization.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:21 PM

21,188 posts, read 30,359,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I'm completely shocked PHL isn't in the top 5 worst. I'll take it.
I couldn't believe it wasn't ranked among the worst 5 either. Flights are pretty much never on time departing and the ground crews (doesn't matter which airline) work at a snail's pace. They always seem thrown off by regularly scheduled flights that show up on time, as in the jetway is seemingly never set-up for arrival.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Way to go MCO, but this comes as no surprise. OIA is constantly ranked one of the best airports according to T&L, Conde Nast, JD Power, all all those other organizations. Plus it's one of the busiest, non-connecting airports in the country.
It's a real pleasure coming to/from home as this is where I live now. It's super clean, very efficient and usually little if any delays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Detroit is actually one of my favorite airports. They did a good job when they built the new terminal a few years ago. It's very easy to navigate, and it's not dark and cramped like a lot of older airports (Cleveland, Milwaukee, Memphis, and others). I particularly like the psychedelic light show in that underground walkway that connects the two terminals.
Detroit doesn't get the national exposure but it is definitely quite the surprise in terms of how nice it is. The Delta section of the airport (Detroit is one of their major hubs now) is very modern and features good restaurant/shopping options as well as a very cool monorail running the length of the concourse/ terminal.

Discover the D - Metro Airport - YouTube

Last edited by kyle19125; 09-19-2011 at 03:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or