U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 09:15 PM

14,283 posts, read 24,068,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Detroit doesn't get the national exposure but it is definitely quite the surprise in terms of how nice it is. The Delta section of the airport (Detroit is one of their major hubs now) is very modern and features good restaurant/shopping options as well as a very cool monorail running the length of the concourse/ terminal.
Too many people remember the old LC Smith and Barry Terminals which were always crowded and very narrow terminals. Unfortunately, I spent many a flight delay in that airport.

Northwest represented well under 10% of my flights lifetime BUT accounted for 75% of my mechanical delays and 90% of my missed connections.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 11:43 AM

702 posts, read 2,801,095 times
The thing that has always bugged me about rating airports is that many airports have multiple terminals. So, one person can have a superb experience and another have a horrible experience on the same day at the same airport simply because one terminal is renovated over another. So, these lists are essentially useless. In general, America's airports are functional and average. There are a few standouts, like Denver, but its location is quite horrible. I'd rather fly into a crappy airport closer to town that a huge palace 40 miles away.

Old 09-21-2011, 05:30 PM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,915,831 times
I didn't like Dulles at all. The first time i arrived there, i didn't realize that you had to take those transformer like shuttle bugs to leave your terminal to get to the main areas for passenger pickup. It was a bit confusing finding the right place to get on that shuttle. I do like National though.

Houston(IAH) is the best!

Old 09-22-2011, 03:18 PM

3,442 posts, read 5,625,838 times
I have only been to maybe 6 or 7 different airports but my favorite by far is Charleston SC. Least favorite - as far as location to get to Manhattan is JFK, however the Jet Blue Terminal is very nice. It is so much easier and nicer to fly into Laguadia.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:38 AM

26,590 posts, read 54,713,149 times
Orlando is my home airport, and other than the fact that they have the CLEAR program, I see little redeeming value to it.

PVD is my favorite airport in the US, if they would only put in a US/UA/CO club and do something about their TSA situation it would be perfect.

YYC is another airport I really like.

I also like PHL and CLT overall (although there are some people who work at PHL who simply need a smackdown--a handful of employees with really bad attitudes can ruin an otherwise good experience there). I agree with PDX being a great airport. OAK is another airport I like. It's a bit older but clean, compact, and the people who work there are overall super nice.

Airports I can't stand and avoid are EWR (filthy and crowded), LGA and JFK (see EWR), DET (old terminal is disgusting), DCA (just UGH!), LAS (hate the never-ending noise from the slot machines), ATL & BOS (lines, lines, lines and really bad attitudes).

And what happened to PIT and BWI? Both used to be great airports. Now they are tattered, dirty, crowded, and holy sauna! Every time I've been in BWI this year the a/c hasn't been working.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:46 AM
JL

7,355 posts, read 11,915,831 times
Check out the World Airport Awards for this year. Hong Kong got top honors again. They also have best airports for different regions of the world. Interesting...

2011 World Airport Awards | the Passengers Choice

Old 09-28-2011, 09:54 PM

318 posts, read 644,962 times
Copenhagen does have a nice airport. Sadly, that's the only airport I've been to on that list. Heathrow is a horror; I waited FOREVER to get through customs.

In the US, I'm actually a bit surprised O'Hare wasn't on the Worst list. I know that some like that airport, but I absolutely hate trying to make connections there. I usually miss them, and it never seems like there's enough seating space. I think the CA bay area airports aren't too great - SFO seemed rather run-down when I went there last year, and the Oakland airport wasn't great either. But I haven't been to the Oakland airport for a long time. San Jose built a new terminal several years ago, and I think they did a nice job. The other terminal was really old; not sure if that's still there or whether it has been closed or rebuilt. In SoCal, LAX was not good.

I have to agree that the New York airports are not so hot. Haven't been to JFK but LaGuardia seems very old and not up to the standards I would expect in America's largest city. And Newark's airport is bad. One of my worst experiences in the Newark airport. And the Miami airport was all right, I got lost trying to find the rental return lot and I missed my flight. I left early and yet I still managed to get lost. Not sure how I did that...San Antonio's airport, while remodeled in parts, is not up to standard. Very poor parking and layout, IMO. I would expect more for a city that is still Texas' #1 tourist destination.

On the positive side, MSP is nice, although there are some times when I have had to walk very long distances to make a connecting flight. IAH is a very good airport, and I actually like DFW. It is big, but seems like it's well thought-out. The Tampa airport was pretty good too. The Omaha airport is a nice airport for a city that size. Very efficient. Same with Kansas City. The McNamara terminal at Detroit Airport is very nice, and while I haven't been to either of these two lately, I remember having positive impressions of the Salt Lake City and Las Vegas airports. Phoenix and Denver are ok. I don't remember much about some of the other airports I've been to, and I've been to quite a few in the US, so they must have been all right but not standouts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or