U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2010, 07:45 AM

2,721 posts, read 3,747,537 times

Advertisements

We will be going to the grand canyon tomorrow (south rim). Anyone who has been, please tell me what you liked and didn't like... what you think I should remember to bring... And any other advice you have!

We will be staying in Flagstaff and visiting Sedona for 2 days
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 09:09 AM

2,537 posts, read 8,128,986 times
While in Flagstaff, there are so many good places to eat/drink. I'd HIGHLY recommend the following: Pesto Brothers, Pasto, Cottage House, Late for the Train Coffee, Beaver Street Brewery. I sure do miss that town!

As for the GC, if you'd like to escape some of the crowds and the mules for a hike into the canyon, I recommend the Grandview Trail. It is east of the major attractions of the South Rim and as its name applies, the view is, uh, grand! Take plenty of sunscreen, snacks and water.

Sedona is other-worldly. Make sure you drive down 89 instead of 17 to enjoy the scenic Oak Creek Canyon. Bell Rock and Cathedral Rock offer easy, accessible hiking, even if they're a bit crowded. If you like coffee, be sure to pick one up at Posse Grounds.

Near Flagstaff, if you have time, you should also check out Wupatki ruins, Sunset Crater (volcano), and Meteor Crater. Just east of Meteor Crater is Petrified Forest NP...also worthy of a visit. A drive or hike up into the San Francisco Peaks is also enjoyable.

Near Sedona, head south through Cottonwood and up the mountain to Jerome, a funky little town with nice views.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:28 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,424,386 times
If you're not staying at a hotel inside the park, get there early. The lines to enter the park and traffic are horrific, especially on holiday weekends! Don't forget your camera!

As far as Sedona, I really have no tips since it's one of my least favorite places in the US. I know people think it's the greatest thing on Earth but we couldn't wait to leave! I much prefer Utah for red rocks.

Too bad you didn't post earlier...I would have suggested Antelope Canyon in Page. You need reservations to go there, but oh so worth it.

Navajo Parks & Recreation - Antelope Canyon

Old 09-01-2010, 03:57 PM

2,721 posts, read 3,747,537 times
Thanks guys I will check all that out!

Old 09-01-2010, 05:43 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,442,522 times
I second avoiding I-17 as you are moving down to sedona - oak creek canyon is a nice little drive and swinging into Jerome is definitely worth it in my opinion ......... i actually dig it more than sedona

Old 09-02-2010, 01:32 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,287,494 times
I love Sedona. It's my number one pick for a weekend getaway.

My favorite thing to do is drive through Oak Creek Canyon with the windows down (you can't do that much in Phoenix!) and hike around Bell Rock. It's so peaceful!

Old 09-08-2010, 09:09 PM

25,672 posts, read 24,314,266 times
I lived in Flagstaff and admit its a nice tourist town, expensive, but lots of interesting sites and people. Work there though for the most part is seasonal. I loved the winters there.
But Grand Canyon was 'okay' not somewhere Id be anxious to go to again anytime soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel