U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2016, 12:00 PM

13,893 posts, read 7,400,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless99 View Post
The US passport CARD is quite useless in form and substance. Try using it for ID at the airport when going thru the TSA checkpoints, and you'll soon find out.
Really? I use mine occasionally. I'd love to see a citation of anyone anywhere in the country having TSA problems with a passport card. I've certainly encountered barely-literate 80 IQ TSA employees with English as their second language but I've never had one refuse to take my passport card.

The main reason I have a passport card is in case I need to get to Canada in a hurry while my passport is being renewed. I do a lot of business where I drive and I use Montreal for Canadian domestic flights a few times per year. I sometimes get in road warrior cycles where I'm out of the country enough that it's tough to renew my passport without spending the day in-person in the Federal building in Boston.

Mostly, I just like having the spare government ID just like I have a couple of credit cards in my fireproof box. If something awful happened where I lost both my wallet and passport, I can get my passport card and spare credit cards FEDEXed to me. If I'm in Canada, I can get back into the country and fly home out of a US city. The only thing I can't do is rent a car.

My life would be unchanged with just a US passport. I can spare the extra money and there's some slim chance a passport card might be useful at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2016, 12:08 PM

2,668 posts, read 1,979,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reckless99 View Post
The US passport CARD is quite useless in form and substance. Try using it for ID at the airport when going thru the TSA checkpoints, and you'll soon find out. As the others have said, it's really only good as a backup in case you lose the real US passport (BOOK). If $$$ is tight for you, then you probably can do without the CARD altogether.

One thing: If you are planning on getting them both when renewing, you can use the short-form DS-82 - don't believe folks who tell you that you have to use the long DS-11 form for this. This is a major time-saver, as some Passport Acceptance offices (meaning: US Post Office employees) will try to convince you otherwise.
I regularly use my passport card as ID when checking in at the Airport, and never get a second look from the TSA folks.

Old 09-28-2016, 03:14 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,850,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Gomar Holnyuk View Post
There are other nice places to visit in the world such as Europe, South America. Here from another asian website where it clearly tells the situation in Vietnam.

Posted September 14, 2016

Notice to U.S. citizens who plan to first enter Vietnam before going to Cambodia: Effective August 30, 2016, as required by the Vietnam immigration authority, a holder of a passport issued by the United States of America (U.S.A.) getting an entry-visa (either tourist or business visa) into Vietnam, shall be given only a multiple-entry visa that is good for one (1) year and charged US$135.00. Only this type of visa can be given to all U.S. passport holders.

For the time being all other types of Vietnam visa (1 month single and multiple entries, 3 months single and multiple entries, or 6 months single and multiple entries) are NOT available for U.S. passport holders.

Read more: Visa for Cambodia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel