U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-03-2010, 06:11 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,410,135 times

Advertisements

I can usually find very reasonable weekly rates- but now I'm in a position where I need a car for more than a week- like for 10 days. Unfortunately those 3 extra days are more than the whole week! Has anyone found a way to circumvent this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2010, 07:08 PM

14,289 posts, read 24,073,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I can usually find very reasonable weekly rates- but now I'm in a position where I need a car for more than a week- like for 10 days. Unfortunately those 3 extra days are more than the whole week! Has anyone found a way to circumvent this?
I don't know the days you are traveling but sometimes it is better to make a weekend rental for three days and then a weekly rental. And you may book the two rentals with different agencies.

Getting a cheap rental car these days is more a matter of persistence and creativity.

Old 09-03-2010, 07:24 PM

14,319 posts, read 45,072,962 times
If you can keep the car for the full 2 weeks, sometimes it makes more sense to rent for 2 weeks rather than 10 days. Realize if you book for 2 weeks and then turn it in early you are stuck with the same higher rate, usually. I'm assumng a local rental. If you are visiting a *very trustworthy* friend, you could put them on the contract as well and leave the car with them to turn in after the 2 weeks is done.

Rental car pricing is worse than airline pricing for not making any sense.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:39 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,375,866 times
I recently rented a car in Massachusetts from a Wednesday through the following Tuesday. We actually arrived the Tuesday evening at Logan but it worked out cheaper to pay for a hotel for the Tuesday night and pick up the car on Wednesday morning rather than renting Tuesday to Tuesday.

Old 09-04-2010, 08:42 AM

9,140 posts, read 17,215,641 times
Also if you pick up OFF airport you can save all the Airport Fees & taxes. Can save you 10-15%

Old 09-04-2010, 09:00 AM

1,802 posts, read 7,316,808 times
I was annoyed to see that some car rental providers are charging an extra fee for a one way rental. We are flying to Ft. Lauderdale and then renting a car to drive to Key West. Once we get there, we turn the car in because we don't ever use it for the week we are there. Then we rent another one to drive back.

We've done this a number of times; most recently in 2007. First off, the rates are way up from what they were then - more than double. Then I see that for the trip from Ft. Lauderdale to Key West some of the dealers are charging an extra $100 for a one way rental. Never had to pay that before. They aren't charging it for the trip back (to Ft. Myers) presumably because we're keeping it for 3 days.

We did find one that didn't charge the extra $100. Even so, the 3 day rental is only a few dollars more than the 1 day rental for the trip down.

Old 09-04-2010, 09:07 AM

9,140 posts, read 17,215,641 times
One way rental (in some markets) costs even out to many car only going one way. If to many car wind up in Key West, and do not go back up north. The car rental company has to pay someone, Plus gas to drive it back out. Cars sitting in the lot dont make them money, it costs them money. On the flip side, Some car rental give great rates for moving there car back. Friend rented a car in orlando for week, and dropped it back in Atlanta, and paid next to nothing for the rental. Reason: They had way to many cars in orlando at end of season, and needed them else where.

Old 09-04-2010, 04:18 PM

6,174 posts, read 6,343,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
I do not know any fast simple fixes to your situation. However with some time and effort you might find a much better rate. One would think all of the rental companies at one location would have close to the same rates. However that is not the case. One rental company might be sold out of cars while the company at the next counter has too many cars on the lot and is offering deep discounts in an attempt to move the cars. Try joining their VIP clubs. The VIP clubs usually have a seperate phone number for reservations. They tend to be more flexable than the regular reservation people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or