U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2010, 09:43 PM

787 posts, read 1,684,779 times

Advertisements

Anyone care to share how quickly good deals go away as summer turns to fall.

I am planning a trip to Rio De Janeiro and one city in Colombia (TBD) in late November 2010.

I live in the USA....so round trip ticket will be purchased from USA going to Rio then to one city in Colombia then back to the United States.

How soon do you think I should book my flight (for the best deals)? This week, this month (Sept), no later than early Oct., etc. ??

Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2010, 10:37 PM

12,303 posts, read 18,425,337 times
It's a crapshot, sooner is usually the better. But you never know. Don't wait longer than 3 weeks before the trip.
You have your Brazil visa right?

Old 09-05-2010, 01:33 AM

16,411 posts, read 26,250,996 times
Keep in mind you will need a travel visa for Brasil and for that you are going to need to show them a flight intinerary (although you dont have to purchase it). I think you should be able to find a deal any time before 3-4 weeks before your trip (as was stated above) but your best deals will typically be earlier the better, I usually prefer to not gamble on flights. Also keep in mind, flying within South America is quite expensive. Where in Colombia are you going? I loved it there, but I'd definitely recommend Spanish.. I didn't have a single problem down there but one of the nights I decided to stay in a hostel instead of a hotel and heard some stories from a lot of people, most of the people who didnt speak spanish were robbed, this was bogotá

Old 09-05-2010, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
Keep in mind you will need a travel visa for Brasil and for that you are going to need to show them a flight intinerary (although you dont have to purchase it). I think you should be able to find a deal any time before 3-4 weeks before your trip (as was stated above) but your best deals will typically be earlier the better, I usually prefer to not gamble on flights. Also keep in mind, flying within South America is quite expensive. Where in Colombia are you going? I loved it there, but I'd definitely recommend Spanish.. I didn't have a single problem down there but one of the nights I decided to stay in a hostel instead of a hotel and heard some stories from a lot of people, most of the people who didnt speak spanish were robbed, this was bogotá
Burgler09: Thanks for the input. In Colombia, I am trying to decide among: Bogota, Cali, and Cartagena. I do speak Spanish but it's far from perfect. Enough to get by.....

I plan to stay in a hotel in Colombia.....but you are right it's not cheap to fly to So. America, esp. with TWO destinations in mind and from the West Coast is MUY CARO. But I will just bite the bullet and do it. You only live once.

What were your impressions of Bogota? Sounds like a great city. The locals are nice if you speak Spanish? Are the local girls receptive to Gringos/Americans that can speak the language and dance some salsa?

Old 09-05-2010, 06:45 AM

I was in all of those cities except Cali. I wouldn't recommend it either, Cali is pretty dirty and by far the most dangerous among the main cities in Colombia. I was in Bogotá, Bucaramanga, Medellín and Cartagena. I think Bogotá was my favorite, it is the busiest of them all and has a certain feeling to it that I can't really explain. It has a NYC type feel to it. Each city has their own vibe though, and all were really cool. Cartagena is by far the most tourist friendly and is the only city where the locals will speak English to you. The women in Colombia are like women anywhere, they will have their standards.. so if you are a good looking guy and can talk to women you wont have any probs, but they arent gonna have their clothes off for you just because you are american (unless they are just searching for cash). All in all its a really nice place, If you have any more questions feel free to ask, i could talk for hours about it.

Also i wasn't referring to the flight TO south america, i meant within south america. Brasil - Colombia will cost you quite a bit of money.

Old 09-05-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
I was in all of those cities except Cali. I wouldn't recommend it either, Cali is pretty dirty and by far the most dangerous among the main cities in Colombia. I was in Bogotá, Bucaramanga, Medellín and Cartagena. I think Bogotá was my favorite, it is the busiest of them all and has a certain feeling to it that I can't really explain. It has a NYC type feel to it. Each city has their own vibe though, and all were really cool. Cartagena is by far the most tourist friendly and is the only city where the locals will speak English to you. The women in Colombia are like women anywhere, they will have their standards.. so if you are a good looking guy and can talk to women you wont have any probs, but they arent gonna have their clothes off for you just because you are american (unless they are just searching for cash). All in all its a really nice place, If you have any more questions feel free to ask, i could talk for hours about it.
Again, thanks for sharing your experiences. Cartagena looks beautiful but I think I am leaning towards Bogota. I like the sound of the energy, a little less of a tourist trap, etc.

While I can hold my own in the charm department, I didn't mean to suggest the women would throw their clothes off. LOL! I've just heard stories from guys coming from big American cities (like LA) who were pleasantly surprised how friendly the typical girl was down there as opposed to the U.S.

You went all those places in one trip? or you've been a few times? Did you find some people that spoke English in Bogota? What year were you there, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal35 View Post
Again, thanks for sharing your experiences. Cartagena looks beautiful but I think I am leaning towards Bogota. I like the sound of the energy, a little less of a tourist trap, etc.

While I can hold my own in the charm department, I didn't mean to suggest the women would throw their clothes off. LOL! I've just heard stories from guys coming from big American cities (like LA) who were pleasantly surprised how friendly the typical girl was down there as opposed to the U.S.

You went all those places in one trip? or you've been a few times? Did you find some people that spoke English in Bogota? What year were you there, if you don't mind me asking?
I did it all in one 2 month trip last summer (may 2009). It is just a typical latina, I lived in Miami so honestly the women weren't much different to me in Colombia or Miami. Cartagena was a very cool city, but in my opinion a bit too touristy for me, that would probably be scratched off my list if I did decide to return to Colombia, although I loved the weather.

Honestly, when I was in bogotá nobody spoke english. I mean, one taxi driver did when I was there and he said he had lived in bogotá for 30,000 years lol. The hotel I stayed in, the workers would sit outside all night with me and drink beer and smoke cigs, i taught them all swear words in english. In bogotá i'd say 99% of my conversations were spanish, but you do come across people who want to practice speaking their broken english with you, thats pretty fun. When you are in La Candelaria, dont worry too much, youll read things online telling you its dangerous, but I had a really good time there and centro/canedlaria was by far the best part of bogotá! Every friday they will close down the streets downtown and run like a parade type thing its really cool to be there and it goes pretty late in the night. Bogotá does have a certain energy to it that the other colombian cities don't have. The biggest downside to bogotá is the cold, it can be decent with the sun but consider it to feel like a winter day in LA.

Old 09-05-2010, 02:37 PM

Very cool trip. You are smart to do that while you are still in college. I think I read your prior posts that you were in college at the time. I did a trip across the USA while in college but nothing to So. America. I wish I had.

Now, I have a job and can only get so much time off....Regardless, I look forward to it. Yes, Bogota has pretty "cool" weather year round. Like you said LA in winter. I'll have fun and sun in Rio so it's ok if Bogota is a little cool (though I am a warm weather person).

La Candelaria sounds great. Again, thanks!

Old 09-05-2010, 02:39 PM

you know, i did forget to add... bogotá is no walk in the park. i mean i was completely safe and nothing happened to me but I met about 8 people that were robbed. I was on constant vigilance and constantly checking my surroundings, but i looked like i knew what i was doing and didnt have a problem, i roamed alone at night at all hours too. You'll be fine, just be smart about your travels. I don't want to overplay it to seem too safe, but at the same time I dont want you to think you are walking to a warzone. The only time i truly felt nervous was when i ended up on an empty street carrying a Diesel bag with a pair of shoes that I just bought, but nothing happened to me. I felt a million times more comfortable in bogotá than i did walking through detroit. hell.. driving through detroit at that haha

i went to a public comedian and of course the first thing he did was see me and come straight to me, he asked where i was from and i replied miami, all the girls cheered, then he asked who i was with and i said i was alone and his comment was "and nobody has robbed you yet?!" haha

Old 09-05-2010, 02:49 PM

Quote:
you know, i did forget to add... bogotá is no walk in the park. i mean i was completely safe and nothing happened to me but I met about 8 people that were robbed.

i went to a public comedian and of course the first thing he did was see me and come straight to me, he asked where i was from and i replied miami, all the girls cheered, then he asked who i was with and i said i was alone and his comment was "and nobody has robbed you yet?!" haha
Yes, I appreciate the realistic view.

You were alone in Bogota? I might be there alone if my travel partners stay on in Rio.

I've traveled alone through different parts of Mexico (in 05 and 06 before the current drug cartel violence) and never had any problems. Like you say, I'd just exercise caution and never had any problems. But maybe I just got lucky!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or