U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 10:30 PM

452 posts, read 1,239,084 times

Advertisements

Thought this might be interesting too:

United Airlines and American Airlines (the two that were used in the attacks) had commercials specific to post 9-11 after the attacks. Commercials centered on American pride, freedom of travel, and overcoming obstacles. Some of the nicest commercials these two airlines ever made.

"We are United"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VywUQ...eature=related

"United Welcomes You Back"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGr61...eature=related

"We are an airline proud to bear the name American"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V64IM...eature=related

"We are an airline proud to bear the name American" 2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzDOa...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGr61ZB8wQo

Last edited by coo77; 09-06-2010 at 10:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 11:24 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,359,735 times
I had friends stranded in Belgrade. Luckily they had family about an hour or so away to wait out the extra week or two.

Not sure how common this was but I heard a few stories of locals taking in backpackers stranded at various airports across Europe. A very kind gesture.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:49 PM

38,854 posts, read 20,162,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Hard to believe she could miss that much work. With normal airport procedures pre or post 9/11, by the time someone drives to an airport, parks or returns a rental car, waits in security, waits at the gate, waits at the taxiway, flys, lands, deplanes, walks to baggage claim, waits at baggage claim, catches shuttle to rental car or parking lot, walks to vehicle or rental car, waits in rental car line, and drives to destination....

....it's almost faster to drive from SF to LA.
I really don't know exactly how many work days this cost her as my recollection is fuzzy. All I can recall was her calling in the office and informing us that she was stranded in SF area and was going to rent a vehicle to get back to LA. That would have cost someone at least ONE day as it is an 8-hour trip. It's not like she could have driven herself directly from SFO to the job and expect to work a full day.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:42 AM

14,253 posts, read 15,329,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Called work later that day, turns out my employer was trying to track down all employees flying and I was one of the last accounted for.

Got home 5 days later, boss told me just hang out and expense everything until the airports opened.
I don't know if this is true for everyone, but my employer was great about the expenses and trying to get us home.

Old 09-07-2010, 07:19 AM

43,858 posts, read 44,600,216 times
I've posted this before, but I worked for British Airway during 9/11 (in reservations & tours, not as a flight attendant). This is the time of year when there were lots of unaccompanied minors on the plane with summer travel and college student travel slowing down. We worked for hours around the clock dealing with parents who had no idea where their children were....and initially, we didn't either. Planes had landed all around the world and it took awhile to get all the specific information together.

These parents were spastic and I don't think I ever cried with more strangers. It was so awful for them.

Only after the first 48 hours of shock had passed did we realize what a complete mess we were in. People were not only stuck in airports that didn't have customs available, thus no access to luggage, but other people had run out of money in various locations though out the whole world. Some hotels really gouged prices....which I thought was so rude and greedy.

All we could do is put people in contact with the Red Cross who proved to live up to every promise. They were just stellar and earned all our respect. To this day, it is my favorite charity because they were/are such a blessing to so many.

In the end, everyone got home and reunited with their loved ones. The airline industry suffered financially beyond words. Between the mess and all the canceled flights later, they had no choice but to lay off thousands of employees around the world. I was one of them. But I will never forget how much they DID care and how hard everyone worked to help their customers as much as possible.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:03 AM

12,275 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I don't know if this is true for everyone, but my employer was great about the expenses and trying to get us home.
Yes my expenses were all covered, not only that but my boss in so many words told me to just take the days off. In effect, I got a 5 day unrecorded all expense paid vacation (but I still did some work via my laptop).

Some employees stuck across country simply got rental cars and drove cross country home but, it was like a gamble - I kept thinking naw they will open up the airports tommorrow morning, then the next morning, then the next....

Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 PM

51,816 posts, read 29,893,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
I've posted this before, but I worked for British Airway during 9/11 (in reservations & tours, not as a flight attendant). This is the time of year when there were lots of unaccompanied minors on the plane with summer travel and college student travel slowing down. We worked for hours around the clock dealing with parents who had no idea where their children were....and initially, we didn't either. Planes had landed all around the world and it took awhile to get all the specific information together.

These parents were spastic and I don't think I ever cried with more strangers. It was so awful for them.

Only after the first 48 hours of shock had passed did we realize what a complete mess we were in. People were not only stuck in airports that didn't have customs available, thus no access to luggage, but other people had run out of money in various locations though out the whole world. Some hotels really gouged prices....which I thought was so rude and greedy.

All we could do is put people in contact with the Red Cross who proved to live up to every promise. They were just stellar and earned all our respect. To this day, it is my favorite charity because they were/are such a blessing to so many.

In the end, everyone got home and reunited with their loved ones. The airline industry suffered financially beyond words. Between the mess and all the canceled flights later, they had no choice but to lay off thousands of employees around the world. I was one of them. But I will never forget how much they DID care and how hard everyone worked to help their customers as much as possible.
I remember the Red Cross' efforts, and other organizations, and many churches, who did their best to help out stranded air travellers with food, and places to stay. It's also unfortunate that some hotel chains took advantage of those travellers and gouged them. On the other hand, I also heard of some hotel chains that either let their guests stay at their hotels, at very discounted rates, or even for free.

Many residents in Gander, New Foundland also opened their homes for the over 6,500 stranded travellers, who were on trans-Atlantic flights, and most of the aircraft that were enroute to the United States and Canada, were ordered to land at Gander because that is one of the first major airports most flights will be close to after completing the Atlantic leg of the flights, with runways long enough to safely accomodate very large and heavy aircraft like the Boeing 747.

Last edited by Magnum Mike; 09-07-2010 at 03:57 PM..

Old 09-07-2010, 03:23 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,870,341 times
I was scheduled to fly from Chicago to Baltimore, and I was living downtown Chicago. I woke up to the news and began looking out my window at the Sears and Hancock towers to see if someone was going to hit them. Watched the streets fill with busses evacuating south away from downtown. Called my boss and told him that I wouldnt be going anywhere, and he said just stay home and we'll see what happens. Everyone at work was watching it as well.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:23 PM

51,816 posts, read 29,893,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
I was scheduled to fly from Chicago to Baltimore, and I was living downtown Chicago. I woke up to the news and began looking out my window at the Sears and Hancock towers to see if someone was going to hit them. Watched the streets fill with busses evacuating south away from downtown. Called my boss and told him that I wouldnt be going anywhere, and he said just stay home and we'll see what happens. Everyone at work was watching it as well.
On that day, after it was learned that the American, and United Airlines Boeing 767s that were crashed into the World Trade Center towers, were not accidents, the US Air Force, and the Air National Guard were ordered to go after and shoot down any aircraft whose flight crews were not complying with the orders to land at the nearest airports. Thankfully, they never had to resort to those means.

Old 09-07-2010, 04:27 PM

13,821 posts, read 18,783,357 times
my cousin was stranded at the airport and she said that she was just so upset she was crying and she did not relish spending the night in the airport . Well a young man a little older than her came up to her and asked her where she was trying to go ? she said tennessee , im trying to get home see my folks live right outside nashville . Well that young man turned out to be a member of the band diamond rio and they gave her a ride home in their tour bus . boy I cannot tell you the looks that they got from my aunt and uncle and my aunt offered to feed them for their trouble and they said thanks but no thanks they were already late for a concert that they were performing that night . I thought that was just awesome . she still to this day flips when we tell the story of what happened right after 9/11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or