U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 12:38 PM

239 posts, read 786,674 times

Advertisements

A friend is on a very long three week trip to Europe and one week into the trip is very homesick. They really had NEVER been on a vacation before. Previous trips were generally 3-5 day long weekends to visit friends or family. They had planned this trip to Europe for five years. Now that they are in Europe, they are sending a daily email to a distribution list of close friends and family and every day they report they are so homesick for their cat, dog, and the people they love. They are thinking of them often, and miss us so much they are not able to enjoy Europe. I suspect the trip will be cut short due to the stress of being away from family, friends and pets.

So, can you relate?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 01:21 PM

13,382 posts, read 40,931,363 times
Remember that old Dan Hicks song, "How Can I Miss You If You Won't Go Away?"
I do miss family a bit if I am traveling alone, but these days I rarely take a trip longer than 3 weeks, and it always seems to go pretty fast.
I always miss my dogs, esp when I see someone else with my dogs, and sometimes I worry about my cat, because nobody loves her as much as I do.
But I always seem to have such a good time on my trips that I never pine away--I am too busy enjoying myself.

Old 09-07-2010, 02:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,633 posts, read 39,998,659 times
I've seem this behavior many times, especially as things get stressful or go wrong on a vacation. So folks really desire dependability, familiarity, and ritual. They will likely return home, and in a yr or two (after they recover) will exclaim that it was their BEST trip.

I thrive on change and am happier when away than when home. I have been on extended (several month) trips and never missed anything or anybody, but that is not a very nice thing to say .

Old 09-07-2010, 03:13 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,888,618 times
No. Thats why I take vacation. To see new things and experience a different culture, or just plain getting away from it all.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:39 PM

17,417 posts, read 21,259,305 times
From 3-5 days to 3 weeks is pretty big jump. Perhaps a 10 day trip would have been better for someone getting their feet wet on foreign travel.

But I'm willing to bet, when this person returns, this person will be shortly hatching ideas for furthur foreign travel.

I've had those trips, where a few days into the trip, I smiled and proclaimed:
That's it! This is the very, very last trip I'll ever take to a foreign country!

And? A month after my return, I was browsing on Virtualtourist.com, Lonely Planet or Trip Advisor researching my next trip.

Without blessed amnesia, I would have stuck to my guns!

Old 09-08-2010, 04:25 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,027,288 times
I travel with Hubby the only person I would truly miss. I have never missed my family and friends whilst on long journeys and never been homesick in my life. Possibly because I have never really felt home anywhere. I love my friends and enjoy seeing them but as long as I can keep in touch with them on a fairly regular basis by post or phone I really have no issue with being away.

I'm afraid I am always far too busy enjoying being away from the routine and domestic chores and my travels to think too much about back home... Travelling to me is the very air I breathe and even as a child I never missed my parents when I was away at boarding school. Too many things to do and too many adventures to have.

Some people I know think it very odd and I suspect some think I am a monster of sorts for having no sense of home-sickness. I suppose I just try and enjoy being where I am when I am on the road .

My problem is the opposite. I get sick of home rather than home-sick... It is actually quite an issue as I am constantly restless.

Old 09-08-2010, 05:23 AM

13,382 posts, read 40,931,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I always miss my dogs, esp when I see someone else with my dogs
THIS is the reason my status always is "A typo waiting to happen."

I agree with TJlover that perhaps a 3 week trip is a mite too big of a jump from a 3-4 day trip.
Probably their overseas airfare was considerable, so they planned a long trip to get plenty of bang for their buck.

I also agree with Moose that it is blissful to escape the same old homelife routine.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:25 AM

8,925 posts, read 13,676,605 times
I've never been on vacation for more than about a week to 10 days (except to visit family, which is different) but I'm never ready to go home by that point - so I imagine I'd be fine for at least 2 weeks. Your friends sound like homebodies to me - not something I can hugely understand.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:35 AM

9,830 posts, read 19,585,964 times
I've traveled a lot for extended periods both for work and tourism and I find after about a month I am ready to go home and catch up with home life. Going past a month is just self defeating. For me I don't think it's as much about missing home, but probably more just burn out of constantly traveling or living in temporary accommodations.

Old 09-09-2010, 10:52 AM

812 posts, read 1,653,611 times
uh NO! I want a 1 month vacation to be honest. The only thing I start missing is home cooking! But most of our trips are 10+ days. Growing up it was always the 1 wk beach vacation with immediate family and maybe a friend but DH and have always taken long vacations.

IF I am spending all that money/time and/or frequent flier miles I am staying as long as I can manage to get away from work! I used to miss my dogs before kids when I wasn't sure if they were happy at their kennel (new place) but as long as I feel like everyone is content and well cared for I am not the least bit ready to come home!

We have taken a long weekend without kids but they are only 2 and 4. I don't know if I could leave them for more than a week. They are too much fun to leave for any longer.

We head out tomorrow for 10 days in So Cal and I can't wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or