Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 10:08 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times

Advertisements

I will be going to India for the second time in a year next month. The only rule is - you WILL get sick, there is no getting around it. Hopefully it will be only a mild case of the runs.
Ironic however, went to Nepal years ago - ate the street food, lived in huts, drank some of the local moonshine, walked until I was caked with dirt and dust, didn't get sick. Went last year for work - stayed in a 5 star hotel, ate at the hotels 5 star resteraunts, went to work and back - sick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 10:36 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
good watch about street food in India:

YouTube - Street Food - Mumbai - 14 Nov 08 - Part 1

Old 09-11-2010, 12:30 PM

16,391 posts, read 30,917,838 times
I will be going to visit my girlfriend out there, her and my indian friends were actually the ones against me eating the street food haha, they said even they don't dare touch it in monsoon season. I did say I really wanted to try some so she said she was going to take me to a place where I can get some nice street food in Bandra. Either way, I'm really excited to be there and I think overall it will be an awesome trip.

What are the best medications to take for upset stomach? I know curd is good, but what about medicine haha.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:49 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Oh yeah, don't eat street food if it's raining. That's a no-brainer. Water drips off of everything (and into/onto your meal) and there's tons of crap on the roofs; not just birdcrap.

Immodium will put a cork in the poo fountain you will become. Take a lot.

Old 09-19-2010, 12:53 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I though of your post when I saw Anthony Bourdain live tonight. He said that many Americans will rather eat at the Hilton in whatever foreign city they're staying than local street food. He said one of his producers gets sick on every trip and it's most likely from the brunch at the Hilton, since she refuses to eat local food. When in India, spaghetti bolognese is not your best choice and you really shouldn't be eating it. They have no idea what it should taste and look like and at the hotel, don't really care if you get sick the next day since there's a good chance you'll be on a plane ride back home before it hits you.

He said most street carts have been around for years and have 15+ locals lined up to eat there late at night. If they were poisoning people, they wouldn't be in business but based on the lines you can bet it's going to be a good meal. Anthony urges people to eat locally, accept the food graciously and be thankful to the locals. He kept mentioning that traveling is a privilege, not a right. If you have a chance to see him in your city, I highly recommend it. He's hilarious and makes the average American look like a fool when they travel! Of course, he's speaking from his own travel experiences and since he's been to so many places, I think his opinions are quite valid!

Old 09-20-2010, 12:10 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I have only been sick twice in my life from anything I ate, and both times it was in the kind of restaurants I normally can't afford. When traveling in the third world, I never eat anything but street food.

But if you're the kind of person who throws out leftovers if they were left on the counter for two hours and puts your cutting board in the dishwasher and puts bread in the toaster wearing rubber gloves, you probably have no immunity at all to ordinary microbes, and you will have some digestive discomfort no matter where you eat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel