Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2010, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 1,301 times

Advertisements

hello, I will be moving to Henderson, Nevada from Everett, Washington in October and was wanting to take a scenic drive down there, any suggestions? anyone ever take this trip? My suv is a 2001 Ford Escape 4x4. EvanBogue@gmail.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:30 AM

14,076 posts, read 20,530,289 times
There are several scenic routes you could take, but I'll limit myself to that which I've run myself, more than once.

From Everette, go down I-5 to Eugene, OR, then east on OR-58. It runs up through some beautiful country as it climbs into the Cascades. At the junction with US-97, turn south and go down to Klamath Falls. You can stop along the way at Crater Lake, if you'd like.

From Klamath Falls, take OR-39 down into California, where it turns into CA-139. The Lava Beds National Monument is right there, which is also the site of the massacre of Gen. Canby during the Modoc Wars of the 19th century. There's a lot to see and do around there, including Cpt. Jacks' stronghold.

CA-139 takes you through some high country in a gap between the Sierra's and the Cascade's. There's no real uphill or downhill sections.

At the town of Canby, go east on CA-299 to Alturas and pick up US-395 south right into Reno. You're now on the east side of the Sierra's and it's a pretty dry and desolate countryside, remakably different from what you just came through. In the little town of Standish, look for a sign pointing down a county road to it's junction with US-395 again. It cuts off having to go through Susanville. Stay and play in Reno/Sparks, if you'd like, or visit Lake Tahoe which is only right over there.

From Reno, get on I-80 east out to exit 46, then take Alt. US-50 into Fallon and US-95 south right into Vegas. You'll be out in the God-awful Nevada desert for the whole trip, but the view of the Sierras off to the west is magnificent. So too emptiness of that part of the Silver State. Watch your speed about Goldfield, though. At night, you might even see some strange aircraft flying around as a goodly part of that portion of Nevada is controlled by the US military and God knows what they've got out there in the dark. Area 51 and the nuclear test site aren't far away.

If you're so inclined, there are several cathouses you can visit, including one which use to have a couple of wrecked airplanes in the front yard. It was at Beatty or Amaragosa Valley and I assume it's still in business. By the way, from Scotty's Junction, Beatty or Amaragosa Valley, you could take a side trip down into Death Valley. I've never done that, so you'd be on your own. :-)

Have fun!

Old 09-09-2010, 02:36 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
From Reno, get on I-80 east out to exit 46, then take Alt. US-50 into Fallon and US-95 south right into Vegas. You'll be out in the God-awful Nevada desert for the whole trip, but the view of the Sierras off to the west is magnificent. So too emptiness of that part of the Silver State. Watch your speed about Goldfield, though.
Reno to Las Vegas via 95 all the way is a bit tedious and somewhat boring. A more scenic route only slightly longer is just stay on 395. If stopping in Reno get back on it. 395 will take the traveler through part of the Eastern High Sierra, with a couple of summits over 8000 feet. It will then pass through the northern part of the Owens Valley. Bishop is a good place to stay overnight, or to get gas and food. At Big Pine take CA168 east. It skirts the White Mountains with its bristlecone pine forest, a worthwhile attraction. 168 changes to NV266 and connects to the 95 at Lida Junction, then south to Las Vegas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel