U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 11:02 AM

9,729 posts, read 18,430,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
I guess I find it hard to believe, you complain about airline fees but then will spend 2x as much money in gas alone, not to mention 10x the time, to drive a car? Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
I guess you have never driven cross country. I have twice & its well worth the adventure. I dont like to fly & i dont plan to anytime soon.

I DONT trust the airlines & you shouldnt either. I bet you trust politicians & utility companies though...huh ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 11:04 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,629,878 times
How are these "hidden" fees? They are spelled out - if you bother to read.

When I was very young, my parents taught me that "there is no such thing as a free lunch". And if there is a large price descrepancy, you should read the fine print to find out what it is.

This summer, we went to buy a car. I was hugely distracted, for personal reasons. In the finance office, as we were signing the final paperwork, I finally caught on that the "maintenance free" plan was an additional $5k for 3 years of included oil changes, tire rotations and fluid fills. $5k, three years - total ripoff. So glad I finally listened - and yes, they had said it twice before and handed me the literature. If I'd walked out of there paying the additional $5k, it would've been MY fault, not the fault of those whose job it is to SELL these things for as much as people are willing to pay.

Personal responsibility is something everyone needs to learn, rather than just whining about being 'ripped off'.

Old 09-10-2010, 11:31 AM

11,945 posts, read 21,533,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
I guess you have never driven cross country. I have twice & its well worth the adventure. I dont like to fly & i dont plan to anytime soon.

I DONT trust the airlines & you shouldnt either. I bet you trust politicians & utility companies though...huh ?

Well by saying this:

Quote:
I dont fly & havent in many yrs. I want to take a trip back east next summer but ill drive instead of fly & see the country like it should be seen.
You infer you wanted to fly, but due to the increased fees have decided to drive. If you never plan to fly why the concern over hidden fees?

I work for an airline, no I don't appreciate the way the industry is going but understand that this is what the consumer wants. Cheap cheap, lowest cost possible. That is what we all want, that is the American way. Believe it or not Greyhound and Amtrak tickets are on par with cost and can take days not hours to get to their destination vs and aircraft.

Old 09-10-2010, 03:15 PM

12,292 posts, read 18,413,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
II DONT trust the airlines & you shouldnt either. I bet you trust politicians & utility companies though...huh ?
I know that wasn't directed at me, it's buyer beware for all transactions and vendors you deal with. No one trusts politician's but, dude, you are the one with this quote: "hopefully the govt does something about it".

So I throw the question back to you: Do you trust politicians, i.e. govt, to do the right thing and not screw things up even more?

Old 09-10-2010, 04:49 PM

5,691 posts, read 8,601,954 times
these are not hidden fees, they are fully disclosed... just because you were lazy and didn't bother to read the full terms and conditions doesn't make the fees "hidden". I have never been charged any "hidden" fee ever!

Old 09-10-2010, 07:39 PM

9,127 posts, read 17,145,055 times
The problem is when you are looking up a fare/room etc on travel websites, you dont get a apples to apples prices, What's included in one rate is not in the other. My fav is Hotel 'resort' fees and other non/optional fees. The room rates on the some websites do not include it. so one hotel has a room rate of $80 a night other $85 a night, but the $80 one add's on the fees making it cost more. I should not have go to each hotels/airline ... websites to find what each includes in there rate, each search for a hotel could come up with dozens of diffent hotels. Should I have to check each one? I stayed at one hotel that had a $5/day 'phone' fee for the phone in the room. I told them to take the phone out of the room i didnt want it. They waved the fee, but that one of the things in the room rate that I would think would be included not a seperate non/optional fee that gets added on. If the fee & taxes on the room are not optional it should be included in the rate, They can hyperlink the price that gives you a break down of what in the rate if they want so you can see what in it.

Old 09-10-2010, 08:34 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,862,681 times
They do this because people shop by price not features. the lower they can advertise a rate, the better chance of a booking. a person will book a rate with the lowest advertsed price even if the fees add up to more than what another place advertises that includes everything. It has become all about that first low price not the full cost. Just like the airline example, the lowest total cost fare will go unnoticed compared to the higher cost fare because people only see yhe initial low cost and think that a ood deal. They complain later because they didn't do their homework and ended up paying more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or