U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:44 AM

21,365 posts, read 24,104,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Ha! I'd love to see a $200
I fly up and down the east coast, but if you need a flight agent here are some quotes on one way flights on or to the west coast.

But as to my original reply, it was a sarcastic answer. I really don't care what is done in economy class. I fly business. If there is no business class then we purchase double (1 flyer) or triple seats (2 flyers) in coach.

As to cost, again I dont care. Business expense.

Here are some sample coach flights since you seem to be another poster that posts BS with no doccmentation.

I don't know how you fly, but I can jump on a flight from JFK to LAX for $140 (all my numbers are one way) on AA.

https://www.aa.com/reservation/matri...4199317950-184

As for JFK to SAN $154 on AA

https://www.aa.com/reservation/matri...84199621306-12

And one more for LAX to SJC for $49 on AA

https://www.aa.com/reservation/matri...4200264389-432

But no clue why you needed to go off on a tangent on flight costs.

Well the links dont seem to work, so go to www.aa.com and type them in yourself. But just in case you need a better online serch engine for flights, go to www.seatguru.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Whoever came up with that stupid seat idea needs a swift kick with one of them. They look very uncomfortable.
Take a short haul flight on an Embraer 100 series or a MD series airplane. By the end of the flight you wish you had been able to stand for the entire flight.

But all said new planes would need to be designed to do so. If this country continues to not build high speed rails then as the population grows airlines will get to the point where they can no longer shrink the seats and will need to come up with alternative seating.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:41 AM

13,036 posts, read 22,019,784 times
I think I would rather sit on the floor to be honest, even with a lot of current airlines ! As someone cursed with long legs airlines seats on the whole are a form a slow torture... I have gotten off some flights virtually in tears with ankles so swollen I could literally barely walk off ...

Maybe they should all shrink wrap us like luggage or simply break our legs whilst they are at it. The industry is going insane it seems.

Ryanair I think was also proposing to charge to go to the bathroom.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:16 AM

9,127 posts, read 17,141,418 times
Not sure making seat narrower would do anything in most planes, Only makes since to do it if you can get a another seat in a row, Other then in wide bodies you don't have enough seats across to save enough room by make each seat 2 or 3" smaller to get a another seat in 6x2= 12" 3" smaller and narrower aisle then maybe you can fit 1 more seat in per row, but flight as to be real short, to get people to want to fly it.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:21 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,415,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I fly up and down the east coast, but if you need a flight agent here are some quotes on one way flights on or to the west coast.

I don't live in Los Angeles, you seem heavily focused on LAX. I will not pay over $100 for a car service to get me there, it's absurd! Not to mention the 4 hours of ridiculous traffic to get there! Until you live in San Diego, you have no idea how expensive it is to fly from here. Flights are limited, we have connections almost everywhere we want to go and times are terrible given that there is a noise ordinance at night. The cheapest, round trip, airfare I found for my time there in October is $359. Of course, that's going to JFK. My family is in Jersey, flights to Jersey are ridiculous despite EWR being one of the busiest airports. So, I must also get a rental car to get myself to the other side of the Hudson. I don't care that it's $359...I'm just pointing out that there are no $200 flights from SAN to EWR or even JFK, ever! This is coming from someone who, between the two of us, fly from SAN to JFK at least 15 times per year! I've paid over $600 at one point (January), since that's all that was available which to me is crazy. Somehow, it's always cheaper for my friends/family to come visit from JFK than it is for me to go there. Sometimes, our airfare is double of what they are seeing. I priced a one way on my upcoming flight from SAN to JFK and it is $420. $420. That's more than I'm paying for round trip. Much cheaper one way JFK to SAN. San Diego is expensive, but I'm sure most already know that.

We fly all the time, several times a month to various destinations. We recently priced flights to Vancouver, which are beyond outrageous fro San Diego. My friend is meeting us from EWR and her flight is cheaper! Either way, we swallowed it up and booked. You pay a price for living in paradise, and we see it most in the form or ridiculous airfare since we're huge travelers. We've never seen high fares when we lived in Jersey and had the option to use EWR, JFK or LGA for our flights. We went to Europe for less than it costs us to fly home! Aruba? Very cheap from JFK. The deals are existent there, not on the west coast as you seem to think. We want to go to Cabos but are not paying over $500 for a ticket, ever, for such a short flight. I just find it funny how someone who doesn't live here is going to randomly quote some airfare sites to tell me that I'm wrong! I know what I pay for airfare. I have travel dates that I have to meet and can't just go off on a whim. Until you live here, you have no idea.

Old 09-11-2010, 02:55 PM

4,714 posts, read 8,477,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Ha! I'd love to see a $200 fare from San Diego to NYC, or even Newark at this point! I flew home in July and I assure you, it was nowhere near $200! I just booked a flight again to JFK today, going at the beginning of October, and again, nowhere near $200! I fly coast to coast all the time. My husband? At least twice a month, sometimes more! Neither of us has seen these $200 fares, ever!

And short haul flights? Do you want to know how much it would cost me to fly to LAX, from San Diego? It's ridiculous! SF? Seattle? Those are more than some of these cross country trips, it's outrageous! I assure you, if I could get to Seattle from SAN for $120, I'd be flying up there more often!
I am sure that the airlines would be able to offer cross country flights for $200 and still be able to make a profit (or at least break even).

What all airlines need to do is this: Offer roomy, cushy seats, free checked bags, free food, and every other amenity under the sun - and charge everyone a fare that actually allows them (as any other company) to make a fair profit doing so. And people who cannot afford to fly...they can take a bus.

Old 09-11-2010, 03:56 PM

Quote:
.........Until you live here, you have no idea.
I feel your pain. I don't fly directly out of JFK (EWR,LGA). I'm stuck with IAD,BWI,RIC,PHF. I've had some routes that I could have driven there faster then actually flying. As to this tangent on cost, you started it not me. For some reason you needed to rant on like a New Yorker. And maybe when you travelled from NJ to NYC you had a seat on the train. I didn't. When I lived in NY I stood in the same postion on most days for about an hour. Driving was not a good option since it took nearly two hours to make the same trip. At this stage in my life/career I dont look for lowest fare. I look for the shortest flight. And as to your airport, I visit it every few months to see my son at the Marine base there. Personally I wish he had more time as I would fly him up to Reno and meet him there and then take the drive over to Tahoe.

Let me give you a hint on flying: When the roundtrip ticket is cheaper than the one-way ticket, buy it and throw away the return leg. Another hint when you are looking for flights to certain cities, look for flights that stop in the city you are looking for but continuing on to a cheaper final destination. Again throw away the next leg. And I'll give you one more. Travel with one piece of luggage. Check in nothing. Head to gate & check in there. Gate check your luggage. Pick up your luggage as you exit the plane. Saves alot of time.

Old 09-11-2010, 04:06 PM

Quote:
I just booked a flight again to JFK today, going at the beginning of October, and again, nowhere near $200!
I just looked up Delta for October, its $175 each way. All my responses state one-way. Are you answering my one-ways with roundtrip charges??

Old 09-11-2010, 04:09 PM

Quote:
What all airlines need to do is this: Offer roomy, cushy seats, free checked bags, free food, and every other amenity under the sun - and charge everyone a fare that actually allows them (as any other company) to make a fair profit doing so. And people who cannot afford to fly...they can take a bus.
This is how is used to be nearly 20 years ago. I still have some of the pins they used to give out to the kids.

Old 09-11-2010, 07:05 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,415,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
I just looked up Delta for October, its $175 each way. All my responses state one-way. Are you answering my one-ways with roundtrip charges??
My apologies, I thought you meant $200 rt. Sadly, for me anyway, my friend flew to see me from NYC for only $216 rt recently. For some reason, she can fly here next to nothing but when I go home I pay almost double that every time. I'd go back more often if I could get $216 rt fare. That said, flying into Philly will get you huge discounts from what I see, sometimes over $100 less from SAN. But, it's nowhere near where my family is and not a good option at this point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or