U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 07:10 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,406,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilVA View Post
Travel with one piece of luggage. Check in nothing. Head to gate & check in there. Gate check your luggage. Pick up your luggage as you exit the plane. Saves alot of time.
I have never checked a piece of luggage in my life. All I have is one carry on, as does my husband. We did 2 weeks in Europe with just a carry on each without any issues. I never understood why people pack so much stuff for trips. I bet half of it isn't even used!

As far as gate checking goes, it works on those small planes where everyone gate checks then gets it back at the end, at the next gate. If you give your luggage to them at the gate on a regular flight, you have to claim it in the baggage area. The last flight I was on (last week), they ran out of overhead space. They made an announcement telling people they now have to gate check and can pick it up at the baggage carousel, not at the gate, after. While they didn't pay, they had the inconvenience of going to baggage claim. I'm willing to bet more people would try gate checking if they could do so for free and get it back at the next gate! It waives the fee, but it's a huge inconvenience to have to wait for your bag after.

And as far as not continuing on a leg of the trip...say you buy a ticket from JFK to SFO with a stop in ORD because it's cheaper to buy it that way rather than directly to Chicago. You have no interest in going to SFO, so you don't continue. The airline has every right to cancel the return flights, since you never completed. My friend tried to pull that on a European flight and didn't continue to his final destination. They flagged him and cancelled the return flights. It wasn't fun explaining why he didn't make it to the final destination! Things like that breach security.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2010, 07:59 PM

21,353 posts, read 24,079,680 times
Quote:
........European flight.......
Much more difficult, have to use open tickets.

Old 09-13-2010, 12:55 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,558,544 times
MEANWHILE... long long ago on page one this thread was about he saddle seats....
It looks like they are higher up than regular seats. That would be good since it would mean your legs would be angled down slightly and less likely to stick in the back of the person in front of you. Still, the seat part of these seats looks very uncomfortable. Also, the idea of standing is not good. I used to be ina profession where I stood most of the day. It was no big deal. However, one time I had to stand for two hours on a packed train in Japan and it was very tiring. I can only assume that it was because I had nothing to do that I felt so tired, as opposed to when I was working and the time went by quickly. Stnding while flying would be very tiring very quickly.
I still think it would be possible to do seats laying down and stacked vertically. It's the same amunt of space as standing and laying down IS more comfortable. It would even be possible to sleep. The only problem would be getting in and out of the non-aisle seats.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:19 AM

1,743 posts, read 3,197,829 times
I'm tall and hate flying in coach. I also have a bad back and had an ergonomic assessment for my work area. They sent me to a place for a chair fitting. They had all sorts of chairs. Most were very traditional but with some extra height and stuffing. One was a saddle chair, no back. It was the most comfortable work chair I've ever sat in.

I don't like the idea of those in airplanes but it was a darn comfortable chair.

Old 09-16-2010, 12:28 PM

7,977 posts, read 11,652,026 times
Had a business from Dayton to Huntsville, I drove. Sometimes Dayton to D.C. I plan on driving in the future. As long as driving is cheaper its allowed.
I figure anything within 8 hours I'm going to drive.
Hate hate hate flying, what a cattle call.

If the did the big seats and high prices it would kill a lot of companies which I don't think people want to do given the economy.
Of course it might encourage companies to VTC more which I think is a viable option (not all the time but more than now) that is underused.

Your business must be doing good to always fly business or buy 2 coach and seem to have no regard for price. Would they sustain that profit margin if travel prices go up?

Old 09-16-2010, 03:22 PM

3,852 posts, read 8,277,068 times
I saw a clip of these real-live seats on the news last night. The dang skinny people could barely get to their seats, they were so close to the seat in front! My chubby self would never in a million years be able to even GET to the seat, let alone sit in it comfortably.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,567,489 times
I don't think you'll be able to stuff you average chubby american into those seats anyways.

And I for one will not be flying with a triangle seat wedged up my butt and squashed up against the seat in front of me.

I think once you get into your mid 30's like I have, some of this rough stuff isn't of interest anymore and I'm at the point in my life where if I am not comfortable, I can't be bothered. I'm not traveling in discomfort.

Old 09-19-2010, 09:24 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,567,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Had a business from Dayton to Huntsville, I drove. Sometimes Dayton to D.C. I plan on driving in the future. As long as driving is cheaper its allowed.
I figure anything within 8 hours I'm going to drive.
Hate hate hate flying, what a cattle call.
I tell clients any place within a days drive, I'm driving. If I have to get a connecting flight out of say Philadelphia, I can beat the plane.

A few years ago, me driving my car and everyone else flying, as well as leaving at the same time, I actually beat them flying from Columbus, OH to Atlanta and got to the hotel first.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:35 PM

32 posts, read 114,671 times
lol id take a bus bf i flew in one of them stingy seats lol. and thas saying something

Old 09-23-2010, 03:33 PM

1,188 posts, read 2,046,466 times
I wouldn't buy or fly them! Enough is enough and I personally have had enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or