U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 04:52 PM

721 posts, read 2,663,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by aprluvr View Post
So, my wife thinks that we're going to a cabin in mountains for Christmas but I'm actually taking her to Washington DC. She will be elated trust me, she's a history teacher and has never been. My question is how far do you think I can make it before I have to tell her? Could I make it past the ticket counter or even security? Can some genius out there actually figure out how I can get her on plane, thinking she's going somewhere else. Ideally, I would take her around the corner from our hotel to a view of the white house but I'm not totally delusional.
As soon as you guys get to your gate she will know where your going.

You apparently dont know women very well. My gf woudl definately not go along with this. She would want to know what clothes to pack, etc. If I told her were going to a cabin and she brought crappy cabin clothes and then we wind up in DC at a nice restaurant she would be super pissed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2010, 06:23 AM

10 posts, read 10,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I think the surprise will be good enough if you get to the airport , it sounds really cool, i wouldnt expect to get to the plane without her knowing though, possible but unlikely
This is kind of what I figured, I just had this fantasy in my head of making it all the way to DC without her realizing. Maybe I'll just give myself a challenge and see if I can get all the way to the gate.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaicabound60565 View Post
.... what clothes to pack, etc. If I told her were going to a cabin and she brought crappy cabin clothes and then we wind up in DC at a nice restaurant she would be super pissed
I guess I wasn't detailed enough in my previous post. I told her that we won't be spending any time at the cabin; that it's just a place to wind down, eat and sleep, so no crappy cabin clothes. We will be in a resort town, so bring the nice clothes and some warm day clothes with comfortable shoes for walking around and shopping and such. Yes, I already thought of it and I will not let her get on a plane without the right clothes. And yeah, I might even take her shopping when we get there; I know plenty of nice places to go shopping in the area.

Old 09-12-2010, 06:37 AM

8,918 posts, read 13,665,901 times
I really don't think she'll make it on my plane without finding out. Sometimes, the screens above the check in desks display the destination, it will probably also say so on her ticket, on the flight status screens, at the gate and they may even announce it on the overhead speakers when they announce boarding for the flight. Failing all that, the pilot often mentions the destination before take off.

But don't listen to all the naysayers about surprising her in general - I think it's really romantic and you know your wife better than anyone else here. My husband once told me "I've book a trip for us but I want the destination to be a surprise". So I didn't know where we were going until we got to the airport and I read the screen above the check in desk. I loved it.

Old 09-12-2010, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
... My husband once told me "I've book a trip for us but I want the destination to be a surprise". So I didn't know where we were going until we got to the airport and I read the screen above the check in desk. I loved it.
So, did you make it that far because you stayed away from getting the boarding passes and all that? Now that I think of it, you didn't necessarily have to find out once you got to the gate. He wanted it to be a surprise so you could have worn ear plugs?! I would think it would be pretty awesome to step off a plane and have no idea where you are. Maybe when we get to the airport, I'll have some ear plugs handy and I'll say, "OK, we're not goin to California and I have these ear plugs if you want to be really surprised." Then if she's surprised enough and wants to know, I can hand her the wrapped guide book (she loves books too, by the way. especially travel and history books...bonus!). And if it hasn't struck anyone yet, this is a December trip and I'm writing this post now...I'm really freakin excited and going out of mind not telling her.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:56 PM

8,918 posts, read 13,665,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprluvr View Post
So, did you make it that far because you stayed away from getting the boarding passes and all that? Now that I think of it, you didn't necessarily have to find out once you got to the gate. He wanted it to be a surprise so you could have worn ear plugs?!
I found out at the check in desk, not the gate, so by the time I got my boarding pass, I already knew. I could have tried to avoid looking at it but I figured it was going to be difficult to avoid it the whole time we were at the airport so I looked. I'm sure she'll be just as surprised no matter when she finds out!

Old 09-12-2010, 03:42 PM

848 posts, read 1,680,434 times
Face away from the monitor at the gate and she won't see where the plane is going.

Handle her ticket through security so she doesn't see the location.

Well, this depends on your wife of course, but you could ask her to wear earplugs. Get NRR 32 and they'll block out most everything.

The "Silent Ear" model is NRR 32 - Great!

Ear Plug for Personal Protection and Painless Flying

Old 09-15-2010, 12:40 PM

93 posts, read 323,302 times
Tell her the best tickets you could get required a lay over in DC (at Reagan or Dulles or whatever). That way, she will be expecting to at least see the DC on the ticket. It's feasible- I was looking to go to Charlotte from SA and many had layovers in either Chicago, NY, or even Denver.

Talk about how it's a shame you won't be able to stay there, oh babe, I know how much you want to, but maybe next year. Maybe we'll see the Washington Monument from the plane!

Lay it on thick at the airport.

Old 09-15-2010, 06:32 PM

Now that's what I'm talkin about. This is what I'm looking for. Keep the ideas coming.

Old 09-15-2010, 08:50 PM

16,411 posts, read 26,238,678 times
To go with what follie said, say you did a price bid through priceline and the best rate was through multiple airlines thats why the intinerary only shows up until DC. Tell her from DC you will have an airline change and from there you will take (anything besides american airlines because they suck) to your final destination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or