U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 11:44 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,626,136 times

Advertisements

good luck. all she has to do is look at the monitor at the gate you are leaving from. but you are so sweet to do that for her!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 08:36 AM

556 posts, read 1,834,650 times
Sounds like a great trip - for both of you!

Why not spring the surprise on her - very well planned - when you get to the airport terminal in your home city at departure. You could take her into a gift shop, and offer to buy her something for the trip, then lay out the 'new' itinerary to her. You can have all kinds of tourism 'paper' about sights to see as a visitor in DC, to go over with her, while you wait for your flight out! You might put a bit of a damper on the actual 'travel' together, if you work on keeping it a secret too hard or too long - if that makes sense. If she's into history - the 'switch' of her mindset would make brainstorming 'what to see and where to go and what to do' all the more fun - while getting there!

Have a blast together in DC! Be sure you eat a cheesesteak while you are there for us!!! (and BTW - you sound like a keeper!)

Last edited by Rottnboys; 09-17-2010 at 08:48 AM..

Old 09-17-2010, 10:03 AM

10 posts, read 10,518 times
A cheesesteak huh? I'm not sure I've ever had one in DC.
Yes, I am up in the air about what to do now. It would be so cool to step off a plane in an unknown city but it would also be fun for her to spend the plane trip in front of a guide book.

Old 09-17-2010, 10:06 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,419,061 times
If you're going to be there on a Sunday, I highly recommend brunch at the Mansion on O Street. To date, it's still the best brunch we've ever had. It's not cheap, but worth every penny! You need to make reservations in advance, since they do book up though and you can only do so online.

https://www.omansion.com/events/rese...l?Event=Brunch

Old 09-17-2010, 10:13 AM

556 posts, read 1,834,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprluvr View Post
It would be so cool to step off a plane in an unknown city
I agree - and if money were no object - I'd suggest you charter a plane to do just that! - but I bet you touch her heart in a special way with this trip - and at the end of the day - that's probably really what you're after

The actual time in DC - you'll spend together making TONS of fun/great memories together, to recall and talk about for years to come!

I miss Cheesesteaks from our time living in Delaware.....

Old 09-18-2010, 07:22 AM

Very cool. Museum looks pretty awesome too and we're staying at McPherson square, so it's only a couple stops away. Thanks for the tip. I need more like this too. I lived in that area for a long time but I didn't get to see a lot of stuff like this because I was a kid and had to go where everyone else went. If anybody has some hidden gems please let me know. I do have friends that live in the city, so they'll help with that too.

Old 09-18-2010, 08:25 AM

14,260 posts, read 24,000,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprluvr View Post
So, my wife thinks that we're going to a cabin in mountains for Christmas but I'm actually taking her to Washington DC. She will be elated trust me, she's a history teacher and has never been. My question is how far do you think I can make it before I have to tell her? Could I make it past the ticket counter or even security? Can some genius out there actually figure out how I can get her on plane, thinking she's going somewhere else. Ideally, I would take her around the corner from our hotel to a view of the white house but I'm not totally delusional.
My wife and I travel several times a year. I thought that she would like the "surprise" idea. However, when I suggested it, she was really opposed. She wants to know what she'll need to pack and also she'll want to plan.

Great idea though.

Old 09-19-2010, 06:47 AM

Yeah, I'm the planner of the two of us, so that's not an issue. I've also made sure that she thinks she's going somewhere similar, so she packs the right things; I'll be there when she packs anyways; also not an issue. I know you guys don't know me but you gotta give me more credit than this.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:50 AM

8,178 posts, read 16,551,943 times
Have you discussed with her which mountain you're going to?

There are mountain cabins within an hour of so from DC. I'd say we're flying in there then renting a car to drive.

I want to go!!

Old 09-20-2010, 10:50 PM

26 posts, read 62,098 times
Romantic. but if my boyfriend do this for me ,maybe I will be unhappy.because I always have my plan , and don't like change suddenly. anyway ,if your wife knows that you will go to DC, maybe she will have her plan about where to go ,where to shop, but if you inform her after she arrives ,she can only go to the places you planned for her. anyway , you need to make a decision based on your wife's idea, not yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or