U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2010, 05:25 PM

10 posts, read 10,531 times

Advertisements

So, my wife thinks that we're going to a cabin in mountains for Christmas but I'm actually taking her to Washington DC. She will be elated trust me, she's a history teacher and has never been. My question is how far do you think I can make it before I have to tell her? Could I make it past the ticket counter or even security? Can some genius out there actually figure out how I can get her on plane, thinking she's going somewhere else. Ideally, I would take her around the corner from our hotel to a view of the white house but I'm not totally delusional.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 05:33 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,931,818 times
You will make it probably up to when she ask for the intinerary. If she goes along blindly, you can avoid the dreaded "You going too" or "your flight to DC is at gate X" at checkin by using carryon only and web check in to print the boarding pass. But odds are at security, she will be holding her own boarding pass adn ID so that's about as far as I think you'll get. If the bill for the ticket comes in before the flight, she may realize something is wrong. just hope she doesn't think your sneaking a clandestine meeting with some other women

Old 09-10-2010, 05:44 PM

8,037 posts, read 2,827,428 times
Nice idea to surprise your wife .... but be aware that the clothes she needs for DC will most likely be quite different from those she needs for a cabin in the mountains. So your surprise may backfire on you when she finds out she has packed completely the wrong clothes! Can you sneak a couple of her 'city' outfits into your bag without her knowing... or at least factor in a shopping trip when you arrive in DC!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:55 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,455,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Nice idea to surprise your wife .... but be aware that the clothes she needs for DC will most likely be quite different from those she needs for a cabin in the mountains. So your surprise may backfire on you when she finds out she has packed completely the wrong clothes! Can you sneak a couple of her 'city' outfits into your bag without her knowing... or at least factor in a shopping trip when you arrive in DC!
Exactly! I don't like surprise trips. I'd be so mad if I was told we're going to say Park City to ski and ended up in Vegas and all I packed was winter clothes! I hope your wife likes surprises, otherwise it can backfire!

Old 09-10-2010, 05:56 PM

4,919 posts, read 19,931,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
So your surprise may backfire on you when she finds out she has packed completely the wrong clothes!
Oh yeah, great catch! I don't think she will care one bit, but you had better be working that overtime to pay for the cloths at DC area stores because you will discover that she needs and must have five time what she would have packed. And if you don't let her buy it, she will never let you forget how screwed up the vaction became all because she didn't get new fancy dress shoes (and that dress to match, and that sweater to keep her warm, and the coordinating purse, and the earings to go with the dress, and the stocking to roundout the outfit, and the........)

Psst... Take her to the cabin.

Old 09-10-2010, 10:01 PM

9,145 posts, read 17,235,071 times
My sister took her DH to football game in buffalo, from Manchester NH, She made it to Newark where they picked up there connecting flight. That he figured it out as they stopped at the gate for the buffalo flight instead of leaving the airport. He thought they were going to visit family in NJ.

Old 09-11-2010, 08:02 AM

Default already covered

Keep in mind she does think we're flying to California, so she has already seen the bill from...Orbitz, which also has the hotel on it, so she can't see what hotel we're going to. Now, I have the second concern covered too. I've told her that "we will probably go skiing but we'll get you those clothes when we get there. And we're staying in a resort town so pack the cold weather stuff for walking around in during the day and the nice stuff for the nights." Trust me, DC is freezing in December. And yes, I could see how some of you may wish you were going to the mountains instead but number 1, she's not a great cold weather person, number 2 she's definitely a city girl, number 3 she is a history teacher and DC is in her top 3 of places to go.
I'm also from that area, so I have friends living in the city. She's also used to me surprising her with special gifts with just about every chance I get. I can't even guarantee that I can keep this surprise a secret but if i make it the whole way, I wanted to see how far I could get. The plan is that if I know how far I can get then right before I get to that point, I will hand her like a Fodor's guide to DC in Christmas wrap. A little side note, we had agreed that since we were going to "the mountains", that would be our present to each other...I'm horrible at following rules like that.

Old 09-11-2010, 11:45 AM

There wouldn't happen to be someone out there who works for an airline or TSA who might have some tips on how to get her past the ticket counter and security.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:05 PM

5,027 posts, read 13,455,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aprluvr View Post
There wouldn't happen to be someone out there who works for an airline or TSA who might have some tips on how to get her past the ticket counter and security.
When you go through security, they don't ask where you are going, just checking that you have a ticket and valid photo ID. Unless she is reading the ticket, she won't know. Since she thinks she knows where she's going, it's doubtful she'll stand there reading the ticket especially since she trusts you. You can always hold on to her ticket and hand them to the agent along with yours.

As far as sitting in the waiting area, she may glance up at the screen and see where the flight is going. I never look honestly, because my husband takes care of all that when we travel together. It all depends on how perceptive she is. You can always sit away from where the screens are.

However, this will all backfire when it's time to board and they announce that it's time to board flight xxx to Washington, DC. Then, on the plane, they will further announce where the flight is headed. I think you can only keep it from her up until boarding time, realistically.

Old 09-11-2010, 12:40 PM

16,410 posts, read 26,331,163 times
I think the surprise will be good enough if you get to the airport , it sounds really cool, i wouldnt expect to get to the plane without her knowing though, possible but unlikely
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or