U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2010, 03:33 PM

604 posts, read 366,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
I have a brother who has lived in Korea on and off for the last 8 years. He's only had one visitor the whole time--our mom.

Today, during a conversation online, he asked me when I was coming to visit, and added he wasn't kidding.

Has anyone here been to Korea before? What's it like? How long did you go there for and how long would you suggest a newbie stay?

I'm seriously debating on going. Flights are less than $1,000 r/t which is a heck of a lot less than I was thinking.

This could be my chance to FINALLY get a stamp in my passport!
Yes please post pictures if you do go, haven't thought much about what its like there...

South Korea...right?
I hear there's a granny up north that tends to get cranky, if that goes down, get the h*ll outta dodge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2010, 12:26 AM

38,724 posts, read 34,638,021 times
Koreans are very gentle, patient and civilized people. You can wander around Korea freely, and nothing will happen to you. Very few people speak English, compared to most other countries, and a lot of them who can speak English a little will be too shy to do so. But school children will be very friendly, and I mean that in a good sort of way. (None of that 'Hello, Mister, give me money') Get used to eating tofu, meat is very expensive. Also, learn to like Kimchi. Although it's a densely populated country, there is plenty of rural countryside and lots of very rugged wilderness and great coastlines and offshore islands. More than any other country in the world, they consider their nationality to be "pure". It is very insulting to them to be regarded as just like the Japanese or the Chinese. It is cheaper than the US, but a bit more expensive than Mexico. The winter can be very bitterly cold, like New England.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-18-2010 at 12:50 AM..

Old 09-18-2010, 09:38 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,754,762 times
The best part of going to Korea, or anywhere else for that matter, is to eat! Bulgogi, kimchi, galbi...I love Korean food.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:07 AM

373 posts, read 875,624 times
Quote:
I'm seriously debating on going. Flights are less than $1,000 r/t which is a heck of a lot less than I was thinking.
Where are you flying from? That's a great price if that is from the east coast of the US.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:57 AM

3,752 posts, read 4,676,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LightningMcQueen View Post
Where are you flying from? That's a great price if that is from the east coast of the US.
Phoenix.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:19 AM

5,058 posts, read 7,754,762 times
Quote:

This could be my chance to FINALLY get a stamp in my passport!
I found flights to Australia from LAX for $798 rt, which is really cheap. You should just come there with me since D said I can go if I find someone willing to sit on a plane for 14 hours!

And I haven't gotten a passport stamp in years! 16 countries in the last 2 years and I think I only have 4..all from the US airports I entered on the way back! Even then, not all of them do it!

Old 09-21-2010, 04:19 PM

15,155 posts, read 14,235,496 times
Why not go, traveling when single is great. Korean BBQ is fantastic, and you get little samples of a bunch of foods with each meal. Koreans (in the South) feels positively toward Americans.

If you want to get some easy stamps, take a 4 day jaunt to Playa Del Carmen, MX or Banff (via Calgary) in the summer.

Old 09-22-2010, 11:24 AM

6,351 posts, read 12,555,353 times
I sometimes wonder how many Americans who are stationed in South Korea in the U.S. military come home and later regret that they didn't see more of the "Land of the Morning Calm" than the area adjacent to their post or base... I know I'm glad every day that I got to see some of the country besides the local areas where I was stationed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel