Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2010, 03:49 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,455,745 times

Advertisements

Okie, dokie!

Here's another interesting piece of sculpture.

What city is it in?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2010, 04:18 PM

42,579 posts, read 86,610,587 times
Winner is the first person who guesses the correct set of keywords that are in the site caption. I haven't guessed them yet. But I have learned one thing---there are way, way too many artists in the world who are using the same tired motif.

There are hundreds of statues of people sitting on benches, all of them more descriptively captioned than this one.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:31 PM

18,936 posts, read 11,526,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Winner is the first person who guesses the correct set of keywords that are in the site caption. I haven't guessed them yet. But I have learned one thing---there are way, way too many artists in the world who are using the same tired motif.
That's not so. Have you only got ones right that you'd seen before - either in person or in a photo/film?

Any of us who don't immediately know the answer have to go through some process of figuring out what it is. Experience and memory help - familiarity with geography, art, architecture, culture helps - inspiration and deductive reasoning help. There's more than one way to whittle it down and find the answer. I'm guessing you bring more real world experience to this than most of us do - you get more right than most of us do - so try not to be too grumpy when a few come along that you don't click with right away. <shoves a few more cookies in JT's general direction>

Old 11-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
That's not so. Have you only got ones right that you'd seen before - either in person or in a photo/film?

Any of us who don't immediately know the answer have to go through some process of figuring out what it is. Experience and memory help - familiarity with geography, art, architecture, culture helps - inspiration and deductive reasoning help. There's more than one way to whittle it down and find the answer. I'm guessing you bring more real world experience to this than most of us do - you get more right than most of us do - so try not to be too grumpy when a few come along that you don't click with right away. <shoves a few more cookies in JT's general direction>
It ceases to be travel-related or geography-related, if the only clue is to specifically identify a specific work of art, which could be placed in or transported to anywhere in the world, shows nothing unique, is not of relative artistic importance, and is of a heavily over-taxed genre, and there are no other clues. The figures seem to have a Latin American flavor, but none of the rest of the scene reflects that. Although the greenery and the terra-cotta paving stones suggest warm climate, that is of little value in trying to place it.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:01 PM

18,936 posts, read 11,526,287 times
That's true - I'll give you that about the sculpture-only ones - especially if it's commercial art with no historical significance.

Old 11-04-2010, 05:20 PM

Quote:

There are hundreds of statues of people sitting on benches, all of them more descriptively captioned than this one.

What site caption are you talking about?

Old 11-04-2010, 05:22 PM

Ok, forget that one then. It's at the Radisson Hotel in Caracas, Venezuela.

Try this one:

http://img.ezinemark.com/imagemanager1/files/2010/19/building/1.jpg (broken link)

Old 11-04-2010, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
What site caption are you talking about?
Whatever caption is on whatever site contains the picture of the statue, which nobody has found yet. The picture will be displayed only if one enters keywords that were actually used in the text in the site where the picture occurs. For example, if the caption calls it a "statue of a seated" person, the keywords /sculpture sitting/ will not trigger a hit. One needs to guess which words were used in the site (if any) to describe it, but plenty of pictures from google images have no caption at all.

Old 11-04-2010, 07:05 PM

Maybe ex-USSR, like Ukraine? Wait, red roof---Bulgaria?

Last edited by jtur88; 11-04-2010 at 07:17 PM..

Old 11-04-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Maybe ex-USSR, like Ukraine? Wait, red roof---Bulgaria?
No, but you're fairly close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel