U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-08-2010, 04:30 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,939,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Found it!...I kept looking at that building thinking how arty it is in one way, but so business in another. So I thought who would design a creative, open business building? I don't know a ton of architects but am somewhat familiar with Frank Lloyd Wright and sure enough it's his! Racine, WI.

You're right, that site has oodles of buildings and they're all through links instead of images right there on the page. Ok...now do you wanna post a challenge Stillkit?
Naw. It's not my turn.
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2010, 06:32 AM

14,023 posts, read 9,939,769 times
Ok, since nobody is around this time of day, here's a pretty easy one just to keep the ball rolling.

This thing is a lot of fun to ride.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:34 AM

38,755 posts, read 39,181,351 times
Why would there be a fleet of so many little ferries carrying a few cars each, instead of a larger boat?
What could possibly be on the other side thatso many tourists would need to take the car along with them, but there is no efficient commuter transport? Obviously not Catalina Island, those boats would never make it through the surf.

It appears to be California: American flags, license plates, costumes, and California fan palm trees. Looks like San Diego.

Googling "Malaga" comes up with nothing.

Last edited by jtur88; 11-08-2010 at 09:54 AM..

Old 11-08-2010, 09:46 AM

702 posts, read 2,014,508 times
Looks like I missed a lot of action...

Could the latest one be Balboa Island Ferries, in Newport Beach?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:10 AM

Yup, that's it. The sign in the picture looks like "Malaga", but is actually a dead giveaway if you can make it out correctly.

My original question remains. Only in America would people demand a ferry, to save a four mile drive over the causeway to a ferris wheel.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:11 AM

154 posts, read 104,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkyMonkey View Post
Looks like I missed a lot of action...

Could the latest one be Balboa Island Ferries, in Newport Beach?
Looked it up and it seems you are correct. I could only get as far as California.

Old 11-08-2010, 10:13 AM

154 posts, read 104,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
My original question remains. Only in America would people demand a ferry, to save a four mile drive over the causeway to a ferris wheel.
I looked at it on a map and was thinking "Why the heck was there ever a ferry put there?"

Old 11-08-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post
I looked at it on a map and was thinking "Why the heck was there ever a ferry put there?"
Meanwhile, there are only five Mississippi River crossings in the 380 miles between Memphis and Baton Rouge, and only one of those is a ferry.

Old 11-08-2010, 11:05 AM

Location: If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space
12,345 posts, read 5,290,627 times
Congrats Chunky - where's our next challenge?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yup, that's it. The sign in the picture looks like "Malaga", but is actually a dead giveaway if you can make it out correctly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tietherope View Post
First of all - how are you guys reading all these signs!? It's too small and blurry as is, and if I download and enlarge the pic it's too pixelated.

The ferry existed as a private enterprise at least ten years before there was a car bridge from the island to the mainland. The ferry business has been in the same family for almost 100 years now. It's inexpensive and a fun, nostalgic novelty. Think of it like the first ride before you get to the amusement park - hell, it's probably cheaper than riding the ferris wheel! My guess is that most people don't even take it both ways - chances are they drive to the island from the mainland, ferry to the peninsula, and head off back to the mainland along the highway.

Apparently the frozen banana with chocolate was invented on balboa island. Yum

Old 11-08-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
First of all - how are you guys reading all these signs!? It's too small and blurry as is, and if I download and enlarge the pic it's too pixelated.
That's why I thought it said "Welcome to "MALAGA".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel