U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2010, 09:12 PM

42,670 posts, read 70,041,129 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
So, the location of their range is the place to be identified this time?
Yes, which by definition is the place where the picture was taken. Name any place within its normal range, which is narrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2010, 09:23 PM

15,463 posts, read 8,949,811 times
Is it a bird from Hawaii? I ask because the flowers look sort of like succulents and like some plants we saw in the rainforest and volcanic areas there.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
Is it a bird from Hawaii? I ask because the flowers look sort of like succulents and like some plants we saw in the rainforest and volcanic areas there.
Hawaii is correct. As for the bird, if you image-google its most obvious characteristics ( such as /red bird curve bill/), you will quickly get quite a few photos of the I'iwi. Mostly still on the big island, diminishing or absent on the others.

Your turn, Toosie.

Old 10-06-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Hawaii is correct. As for the bird, if you image-google its most obvious characteristics ( such as /red bird curve bill/), you will quickly get quite a few photos of the I'iwi. Mostly still on the big island, diminishing or absent on the others.

Your turn, Toosie.
Yay me! We were on the Big Island just this May! I'm not a birder so am surprised I got it - the foliage helped, I guess.

Oh noooo...is it frowned upon to guess but not post challenges? Will you or someone else go again please?

Old 10-07-2010, 12:01 AM

I think we owe Ghengis one, so go ahead, Ghengis.

Old 10-07-2010, 05:54 AM

20,002 posts, read 19,672,993 times
Attached Thumbnails
WHERE is this place?-image01.jpg  

Old 10-07-2010, 06:48 AM

14,079 posts, read 16,686,960 times
Wherever it is, it's awfully pretty, isn't it?

The preponderance of pastel colors makes me think of Latin America or the Caribbean, though that's not unique to just those places. But, the old fortress wall just back from the waterfront would also lend credence to that idea. So would the palm tree visible on the skyline, which makes the tropics just about a sure bet. And the lack of wave action on the water may indicate a lake or river, rather than the sea.

I'll have to dwell on this some more.

Old 10-07-2010, 08:05 AM

2,994 posts, read 4,167,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillkit View Post
Wherever it is, it's awfully pretty, isn't it?

The preponderance of pastel colors makes me think of Latin America or the Caribbean, though that's not unique to just those places. But, the old fortress wall just back from the waterfront would also lend credence to that idea. So would the palm tree visible on the skyline, which makes the tropics just about a sure bet. And the lack of wave action on the water may indicate a lake or river, rather than the sea.

I'll have to dwell on this some more.
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines as you (Latin America, river) and I immediately thought of Manaus, but then i realized that the buildings are too close to the shore line for many rivers. So, now I am thinking it may be along a sea or lake...but, now I am thinking maybe Greece?

Old 10-07-2010, 08:43 AM

20,002 posts, read 19,672,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
Yeah, I was thinking along the same lines as you (Latin America, river) and I immediately thought of Manaus, but then i realized that the buildings are too close to the shore line for many rivers. So, now I am thinking it may be along a sea or lake...but, now I am thinking maybe Greece?
not Greece

Old 10-07-2010, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
not Greece
Darn, I was thinking of someplace like Hania in Greece. Now I'm leaning more towards someplace like Cuba. That fortress is intriguing. I want to visit! Are rice, beans, and plantains readily available on that land? Are we allowed to ask questions like that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel