Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 11:08 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,712,103 times

Advertisements

Am traveling to an area where it is advised large sums of cash should be worn on a money belt.

I'm a petite lady and worry about bulk. Anyone recommend a good money belt/ pouch that is worn around the waste?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2010, 11:14 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,247,756 times
I have two very basic money belts, they cost me less than $10 about 15 years ago and I haven't had any problems with them. I wouldn't spend a lot of cash on a belt, but that is just my opinion. Also, dig into your belt only where you feel safe, and keep cash for the day somewhere else (pocket?).

Old 09-22-2010, 11:18 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Check out a military surplus store, I've found in the past that a good money belt is hard to find in other kinds of stores. There are two kinds, one fits around the waist just below your belt. The other goes on a strap around your neck and hangs down the front. For a woman, the first gives you more wardrobe flexibility. Look for a belt with a nylon strap that goes around your back, with two metal rings for closure. They are very durable and will last forever. Wear it ALL the time, so you notice its absence and feel naked without it.

The external belly-pack is unsatisfactory, it is a signal that you are carrying valuables, and very easy for a thief to get into in a crowded environment. If you need to get into your money belt while you are out, find a place to stand where nobody can see what you're doing.

Old 09-22-2010, 03:19 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The external belly-pack is unsatisfactory, it is a signal that you are carrying valuables, and very easy for a thief to get into in a crowded environment. If you need to get into your money belt while you are out, find a place to stand where nobody can see what you're doing.
Great advice! And if you see signs that say, "Beware of Pick-Pockets" resist the urge to pat your tummy or your pockets or wherever you are keeping your money to make sure it is there all safe and secure. That's a great big "Here it is!" to the bad guys. They are watching.

Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Take some old pants you plan to throw away, rip out the pockets, re-sew them inside the pants you plan to wear. If the pockets aren't deep enough,
go to a thrift store and buy some pants with the deeper pockets, rip them out, re-attach/sew them to the inside of your pants. Stick the money in there.

I carry my money in zip-lock bags, stuffed into my socks before I put my shoes on. After awhile, you'll get used to it, feeling that plastic bag in your socks/shoes all day. To get to that money, they'd have to knock you down,
take your shoes and socks off.

Last edited by tijlover; 09-22-2010 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Add lin

Old 09-22-2010, 09:47 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
I once traveled for months with a few $100 bills tucked into the tongue of my sneakers. Pull out the entire tongue, and put a slice in the base of the under-fabric. Wrap several $100 bills in a small plastic bag, roll it narrow enough, and push it up inside the tongue. Then relace the shoes. If the thief leaves you your shoes, you still have the emergency money.

Old 09-23-2010, 06:47 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Great place to get ideas.

Safety & Security | Magellan's Travel Supplies

I have this one:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safet...ltsSV627?Args=

Mrs. Tek has this one:

http://www.magellans.com/store/Safet...ltsSV638?Args=

Old 09-26-2010, 01:32 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
I suggest an under-arm pouch strapped beneath a vest. It's pretty much impossible for a pickpocket to get to as your arm hangs over the top flap and the bottom is too high and hidden for a razorblade, but it does get stinky after a year's worth of backpacking through tropical regions.

I never took mine off except to shower while I left it in my wife's hands. Never lost anything either. Then again, we only encountered one group of obvious pickpockets in Spain who half-heartedly tried the "newspaper trick." But it was pretty clear who they were and what they were after, so we dodged them pretty easily.

Old 10-02-2010, 01:13 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,293,698 times
I have two waist-pouches ~ one that snaps around the waist, and one that a belt loops through. I take both since I don't always wear a belt. Also, try to find one with a plastic zipper to avoid obvious problems at security.

You can also tuck your bills inside your sock or bottom of an enclosed shoe.

I have also stashed bills and c.c. into smaller ziplocks then pinned them inside my pants or shorts.

I still use a small purse or fannypack to hold other things. Being female, a pickpocket would likely assume that I have "everything" in there.

Old 10-02-2010, 02:22 PM

21,368 posts, read 38,109,972 times
Rick Steves' Europe: Tour of a Moneybelt

Rick Steves' Travel Store (http://travelstore.ricksteves.com/content/promo_moneybelts.htm - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel