U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 03:00 AM

1,289 posts, read 1,714,268 times

Advertisements

November 2013, I flew out of STL and they're still in use there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2014, 07:42 AM

5,574 posts, read 5,009,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
November 2013, I flew out of STL and they're still in use there.
No, that may have been different technology, but it wasn't backscatter.
TSA removes body scanners criticized as too revealing - CNN.com

Old 04-02-2014, 10:32 AM

6,035 posts, read 7,278,039 times
I don't doubt the OP's story. Of course, I don't want to be the victim of a terror plot, but I seriously wonder sometimes about the free pass the government has been given to invade people's privacy in the name of safety.

Old 04-02-2014, 01:58 PM

10,065 posts, read 4,432,356 times
Granted, I don't fly very often, the last time I did was in 2011, but I don't get the big deal about the scanners. Walk thru, done & you're on your way. I could care less if some agent is scrutinizing or not, I'll never see them again.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Granted, I don't fly very often, the last time I did was in 2011, but I don't get the big deal about the scanners. Walk thru, done & you're on your way. I could care less if some agent is scrutinizing or not, I'll never see them again.
This is kind of the way I feel. Now, I fly fairly frequently (a dozen or so round trips a year, sometimes more than that), so if security isn't too busy, I'll request to opt out (just because I'm getting "zapped" more frequently than the average traveler). I've never had a problem opting out, and I've never been groped. The TSA agent isn't enjoying the pat down any more than I am. They're just doing their job.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
No, that may have been different technology, but it wasn't backscatter.
TSA removes body scanners criticized as too revealing - CNN.com
I surely do hope you're right. It was the old, "place your feet here" and "raise your arms above your head" deal.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Different people like different things, and same is true for NOT liking different things.

Some people are modest, and not too keen on having airport security guards being able to see *everything*.

There are also significant health concerns. Backscatter machines used radiation, and I'm not comfortable with that either.

Lastly, there's the egregious violation of our 4th amendment rights.

Old 04-03-2014, 03:21 PM

Quote:
I surely do hope you're right. It was the old, "place your feet here" and "raise your arms above your head" deal.
Those are wave millimeter machines, different than backscatter. The agents don't see a passenger-specific image ... they aren't seeing "you" ... the monitor they're looking at uses a generic body form and highlights areas of concern that may need to be patted down.

Every time I go through, the back of my left knee is always highlighted. I have no idea why. And the agents usually laugh when I say "let me guess ... back of my left knee, right?"

Old 04-03-2014, 03:23 PM

Quote:
There are also significant health concerns. Backscatter machines used radiation, and I'm not comfortable with that either.
I think "significant" is overstating it. You get more radiation on the plane than you do being screened. That is, very little. Unless you are a frequent traveler, it's nothing to be concerned about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel