U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2010, 12:48 PM

3,644 posts, read 5,077,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskercurve View Post
First off, the radiation doses are tiny. You get more just by being in the airplane. Also, the images are not saved on any device whatsoever, so it's not like they'll see everything as if you were naked. There's only a vague outline of the clothes and it highlights anything that its image pattern recognition thinks may be dangerous. Everything else is blacked out.
Where habve you been? You are only repeating the company line about those machines. The TSA has been caught time and time again saving the images and even transmitting them off-site. Do you work for the machine manufacture or are you just a TSA stooge? As for radiation, ANY unnecessary radiation is too much. You think the images are 'only a vague outline'? They are so detailed that in internet news stories they have to blur out the picutures because they are so detailed that they can't show them in a news story.

Quote:
And the TSA is technically correct - you CAN opt out of the scanner. You have just to accept the consequences, as all free societies foist on their civilians.
No, she does not have to accept the consequences of having arrogent, rude overpaid federal workers treating her like that. She should file a complaint. We need to reverse the federalization of airport security. Making htem federal employees did nothing for their incompetence. It just made them well-paid incompetents.

Security does these "random" checks because htey are too PC to pull the serious risks out of line for a more detailed review/inspection. Islamic Jihadists, including American converts, are the real threat. Until security starts looking at them seriously they will remain nothing more than an overpaid sad joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2010, 01:43 PM

14,080 posts, read 13,357,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
Most of those TSA agents are glorified baggage handlers, rude, obnoxious and just think who the hell they are.....the rude ones far out number nice pleasant ones
This is not my experience and I have been a frequent flyer for some years now. For the most part, I have found the TSA agents to be helpful and pleasant. They have a job to do and it isn't always easy given the large number of clueless people going through security. Most frequent flyers spend more time trying to avoid the clueless who hold up the lines because they have put a couple of bottles of water in their bag, because some woman is wearing half a ton of metal jewelry or because - in one case - they had some ammo in their bag (Phoenix T4).

Old 09-24-2010, 02:32 PM

7,291 posts, read 11,663,828 times
It's doubtful that any people were looking at the crazy woman who was getting searched. People get checked out all the time and frequent travelers are used to seeing this. They forgot about you by the time they put their shoes back on.

I've had many more decent experiences with TSA than poor ones, but there are always a handful of idiots in any job, who have the finesse of a battering ram.

The TSA website does include information about the rights of travelers, as well as contact information for filing complaints. If you feel that you have a valid complaint then it would probably be worth your time to file one.

TSA: Civil Rights for Travelers (http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/civilrights/travelers.shtm - broken link)

Old 09-24-2010, 04:58 PM

3,852 posts, read 7,507,789 times
While I know that the TSA are not the most pleasant people on earth, I have to say your post made ME roll my eyes.

You're worried about radiation? Give me a break. Nothing is going to happen to you.

Think about this:
If some terrorist was randomly picked for the screening, do you think they would decline it, too? So, in a sense, the TSA had EVERY RIGHT to react the way they did when you declined the scanning. That's a bit of a red flag, don't you think?

Here's my motto: You make their jobs more difficult (which you did), they'll surely return the favor.

P.S. You did not lose your laptop and wallet like you stated at the beginning. Don't exaggerate.

Old 09-24-2010, 08:05 PM

1,492 posts, read 6,416,653 times
I will never go through one or allow my teenage daughter.

That said, I prepare for what you went through. ALL valuables on my person. Keys- just stay in my luggage-even if it is carryon.

From the TSA website:
Private Screening

Your screening may include a hand-wanding procedure and pat-down inspection. You may request a private area for your personal screening. The private area will either be a separate room or an area out of the view of the general public.

If you would have known this you could have alleviated part of your stress.

But go online and file complaints. Contact Peter Greenberg (the travel guy for NBC), it sounds like you were put through the ringer.

But thanks for sharing to let others know what COULD happen to them.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:46 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,677,778 times
I'm surprised by the un-supportive response from a select few here. My biggest upset was the public pat down - which is pretty intense. Perhaps I did a poor job of explaining just how intense it is.

The other upset was being separated from my personal belongings. Do y'all not read the papers? Here in Norfolk (where I live) a woman was separated from her $24,000 Rolex watch and (surprise, surprise) the surveillance tapes from that day have gone missing.

http://jacksonville.com/news/metro/2...security-check

I, for one, do not have the financial means to replace a wallet with traveling cash, a nice cell phone and a new Toshiba laptop, so I was pretty upset when TSA separated me from those items, leaving them to languish at the end of the conveyor built UNATTENDED and UNGUARDED.

Rosemary

Old 09-26-2010, 10:26 AM

5,027 posts, read 12,163,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'm surprised by the un-supportive response from a select few here.

The other upset was being separated from my personal belongings. Do y'all not read the papers? Here in Norfolk (where I live) a woman was separated from her $24,000 Rolex watch and (surprise, surprise) the surveillance tapes from that day have gone missing.

I, for one, do not have the financial means to replace a wallet with traveling cash, a nice cell phone and a new Toshiba laptop, so I was pretty upset when TSA separated me from those items, leaving them to languish at the end of the conveyor built UNATTENDED and UNGUARDED.
Hey, I'm with you. I have no issues with the pat downs, but for me it's all about leaving my belongings unattended. My husband travels with his Rolex as well. He refuses to take it off unless I'm across and waiting for it or if he can put it in a bin and go right through to retrieve it. You have to be crazy to not keep an eye on a watch that costs thousands of dollars. He'd be very, very pissed if someone stole his watch!

As I mentioned, I travel with my Macbook, iPhone, and several thousand dollars worth of camera equipment. You better bet that I won't be leaving that at the end of the conveyor belt while TSA takes its sweet time patting me down! There have been a lot of thefts at security checkpoints over the years, I refuse to be their victim!

Old 09-26-2010, 12:54 PM

14,080 posts, read 13,357,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
Hey, I'm with you. I have no issues with the pat downs, but for me it's all about leaving my belongings unattended. My husband travels with his Rolex as well. He refuses to take it off unless I'm across and waiting for it or if he can put it in a bin and go right through to retrieve it. You have to be crazy to not keep an eye on a watch that costs thousands of dollars. He'd be very, very pissed if someone stole his watch!

As I mentioned, I travel with my Macbook, iPhone, and several thousand dollars worth of camera equipment. You better bet that I won't be leaving that at the end of the conveyor belt while TSA takes its sweet time patting me down! There have been a lot of thefts at security checkpoints over the years, I refuse to be their victim!
I always wear my Rolex. It hasn't set off the metal detector in the 10 years I have had it. You do not need to remove it and I have never been asked to.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:17 PM

8,268 posts, read 9,609,156 times
I'd recommend you file a complaint.

I fly for work all the time and the overwhelming majority of TSA workers aren't anything like the "thugs" that people sometimes post about on here. Their job sucks, they say good morning to me, I say good morning back, etc.

Old 09-26-2010, 01:21 PM

8,268 posts, read 9,609,156 times
Also = No offense but I don't believe for one second you had to wait 30 minutes for a female TSA worker to appear to pat you down, or that it took 15 more minutes to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel