U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:23 PM

5,027 posts, read 12,304,453 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I always wear my Rolex. It hasn't set off the metal detector in the 10 years I have had it. You do not need to remove it and I have never been asked to.
I know you don't have to remove it, but try arguing that with the damn TSA people. They have made him remove it more times than I can count, and ask him to put it in a separate container to go through the x-ray. Some airports don't look twice, but many ask him to remove it. We've been through a good portion of the US airports, and I'd say half made him remove it. The overseas ones don't, which is not surprising since you can keep your shoes on there as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 03:13 PM

1,286 posts, read 1,712,061 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Also = No offense but I don't believe for one second you had to wait 30 minutes for a female TSA worker to appear to pat you down, or that it took 15 more minutes to do so.
WOW!

No offense, but you're a liar?

If that comment is not intended to offend, I'd hate to hear what you consider to be an offensive comment.

Herein lies the problem with the internet. You know nothing about me. You know nothing about my experience. You know nothing about my exchanges with the TSA at the Atlanta airport on 9/11/2010 from 3:30 pm to 4:15 pm. Yet you're discounting my story because you believe I've simply fabricated some or all of this story?

Why are you at a community bulletin board? Why bother reading anyone's posts?

For the record, I'm a former newspaper reporter. I pay attention to details. As soon as I was on that airplane, I documented the details of my experience with pen and paper, so as to not forget them.

Aside from all that, I've found that most criticism - especially baseless criticism - is autobiographical.

Your flippant and uninformed comments tell me a lot about YOU.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:14 PM

14,175 posts, read 13,632,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
I know you don't have to remove it, but try arguing that with the damn TSA people. They have made him remove it more times than I can count, and ask him to put it in a separate container to go through the x-ray. Some airports don't look twice, but many ask him to remove it. We've been through a good portion of the US airports, and I'd say half made him remove it. The overseas ones don't, which is not surprising since you can keep your shoes on there as well.
I find that very strange.

Until very recently I was a frequent traveller clocking 100k miles/year and never once have I been asked to remove it whether it be Phoenix, San Diego, LAX, Burbank. La Guardia, Richmond, Westchester County, SFO or Newark which were the main airports I used.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:32 PM

4,373 posts, read 5,459,910 times
The new full body x-ray should be fought by all freedom lovers. Not only are they invasive but the images can be saved and shared despite claims the TSA made.

Old 09-26-2010, 07:39 PM

14,175 posts, read 13,632,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The new full body x-ray should be fought by all freedom lovers. Not only are they invasive but the images can be saved and shared despite claims the TSA made.
Why do you care? Is your body so much different from everyone else that it would attract the salacious attention of bored TSA agents?

Old 09-26-2010, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Why do you care? Is your body so much different from everyone else that it would attract the salacious attention of bored TSA agents?
What if someone famous goes thru one of the machines? The images could be sold or leaked. These machines have already caused problems. At one airport, I forget which, one worker has a sexual harassment case because he was used to test the machine in training and his co-workers were able to see the size of his package and harassed him.

The normal x-rays are fine. This is just another example of the federal government to encroach on civil liberties much like the Patriot Act.

"Hey, we want to see you naked because you're, um, suspicious!"

Old 09-26-2010, 08:34 PM

24,025 posts, read 35,218,471 times
Out of curiosity: Is there anywhere you can check to find out how many dangerous weapons or packages that were an actual threat have been discovered?

I'd wager the number is much lower than the Feds want us to think...

Old 09-26-2010, 09:07 PM

8,268 posts, read 9,748,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
No offense, but you're a liar?
I don't think you're a liar, I just think you have a propensity towards exaggeration that manifested itself in your estimation of times.

"already-scowling TSA attendant"

"strident voice, she then screeched"

"microwaved on "medium defrost""

"51-year-old body ogled by a TSA employee"

"What a perfect punishment ... Park them NEXT to the machine so that they get mega-doses."

etc. to me you seem that you add dramatic touches, so I'm pretty comfortable discounting your account of having to wait 1/2 hour for them to have a female TSA come.

No offense.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:15 PM

I believe the story. People working in airports, train stations, bus depots, subways, etc., tend to be on the unfriendly/crabby side no matter where you go.

I also don't doubt they made the o.p. wait as long as she said. It's a part of their game and power trip.

Old 09-26-2010, 09:17 PM

5,027 posts, read 12,304,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post

etc. to me you seem that you add dramatic touches, so I'm pretty comfortable discounting your account of having to wait 1/2 hour for them to have a female TSA come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
For the record, I'm a former newspaper reporter.
Well, she did say she's a former newspaper reporter. You have to be creative (read: dramatic) for people to believe you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
They already have been saved and shared all over the web. However, if someone can recognize you from those images, I think a full-body scan is the least of your worries!

Feds admit storing checkpoint body scan images | Privacy Inc. - CNET News

Here's an article about a pregnant woman who requested a pat down in Chicago, but was mocked by TSA and refused.

Pregnant Woman Forced Through Full-Body Scan | The Stir
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel