U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 06:22 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,712,061 times

Advertisements

FOXNews.com - TSA Worker Arrested After Jokes, Fight About Size of Genitalia
Quote:
A TSA worker in Miami was arrested when he "lost his mind" and attacked a colleague who repeatedly made fun of his small penis after the security screener walked through a high-tech scanner that showed his genitalia, according to Miami-Dade police.
There's one fine article that bespeaks the mental aptitude of the people running these scans.

If you read about the problems TSA is having with those that "opt out" one of the BIG problems is lack of female attendants trained in patting down female passengers. Typically, females are subjected to longer waits than males.

While waiting in line at the security area, I called my husband. When I entered the conveyor belt area and started the process of putting bags on the belt, I said "good-bye." After I emerged from the area, I was so upset I called my husband back, in tears.

Hence, it was easy to look at the time of the two phone calls and determine how long the event had lasted.

All of this conversation about time is a red herring. The point is, if you opt out of the Whole Body Imager, there's going to be a price to pay. The TSA has overstepped their bounds time and time again. We're passengers; not criminals.

The news is awash with stories of abuses. For that many stories to be in the headlines, it means the abuses must be ubiquitous and far reaching.

TSA is out of control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 06:36 AM

8,595 posts, read 14,391,541 times
Did you file a complaint with the TSA?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 AM

1,291 posts, read 2,877,839 times
If this event was so upsetting, you should have filed a complaint right away. Also. I know it is sometimes not possible, but find myself flyng less because of all the hoops involved with air travel.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:58 AM

27,236 posts, read 38,208,445 times
aye, the safest thing to do is to board the plane in your skivvies, having checked your bags through--or, better yet, having shipped them ahead of you via FedEx or UPS.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:02 AM

12,413 posts, read 22,609,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
FOXNews.com - TSA Worker Arrested After Jokes, Fight About Size of Genitalia
There's one fine article that bespeaks the mental aptitude of the people running these scans.

If you read about the problems TSA is having with those that "opt out" one of the BIG problems is lack of female attendants trained in patting down female passengers. Typically, females are subjected to longer waits than males.

While waiting in line at the security area, I called my husband. When I entered the conveyor belt area and started the process of putting bags on the belt, I said "good-bye." After I emerged from the area, I was so upset I called my husband back, in tears.

Hence, it was easy to look at the time of the two phone calls and determine how long the event had lasted.

All of this conversation about time is a red herring. The point is, if you opt out of the Whole Body Imager, there's going to be a price to pay. The TSA has overstepped their bounds time and time again. We're passengers; not criminals.
The news is awash with stories of abuses. For that many stories to be in the headlines, it means the abuses must be ubiquitous and far reaching.

TSA is out of control.
Exactly.....they have you by the short hairs!!
Atlanta....one of if not the worst airports I've ever been through.
Overpaid uneducated glorified baggage handlers

Old 09-27-2010, 11:28 AM

14,175 posts, read 13,630,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
I believe the story. People working in airports, train stations, bus depots, subways, etc., tend to be on the unfriendly/crabby side no matter where you go.

I also don't doubt they made the o.p. wait as long as she said. It's a part of their game and power trip.
Frankly, I have to wonder if we are getting the whole story. As a frequent flyer, I go through airports all the time and this story is far from what I have personally experienced and seen. In my fairly extensive experience, TA agents are just fine and their attitude varies from neutral to friendly.

The - relatively few - bad experiences I have had have always been with airline staff and not the TSA.

I do accept, however, that if someone were to adopt a major attitude with TSA staff then they might choose to retaliate in the manner described. However, I am sure that the OP did no such thing.

However, I am sure that the OP has filed a detailed complaint with the TSA and that she will update us on the status of that complaint.

Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 PM

333 posts, read 1,337,429 times
I've traveled quite a bit over the years, and I think this story is totally plausible. Figure the number of TSA personnel that are out there, and there is a certain percentage that haven't been taking their daily dose of Metamucil. I've run into some of the nicest, funniest, most professional folks out there, and there are some that have been some of the most ignorant, unhelpful, power-tripping idiots ever put on earth... but take a look around you in a plane sometime, and I'll bet the ratios are there, too... just hope you don't sit next to one for any length of time (and to answer your question, yes, I HAVE been stuck next to some of them).

I've had a couple run-ins to rival Rose's "adventure", but I agree that I tend to "opt out" of the body scanner... I just try and identify the lanes using them and move to another. Until and unless the TSA makes the body scan mandatory, no matter what rationale a person may have, it is still their right to refuse the screening. And shame on the TSA for not doing what they can to accommodate any polite travelers that opt out of the procedure.

As for reporting incidents, I had one that I reported and never received any reply from the agency regarding the issue... not that I expected one, but I spoke with some other airport personnel and I now know some of my options should I ever be put in another similar situation.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:41 PM

42,672 posts, read 66,788,033 times
My wife has a tale that might be able to top that. She is a congestive heart failure patient, who wears an implanted defibrillator. She is advised not to be wanded by security personnel, or pass through x-ray. She had to go to the county courthouse on business associated with an estate to which she was the executrix. She explained to the security man that she has a medical reason for not being wanded. He said then she would have to be patted down, but there is no female attendant on duty today, so she'll have to come back tomorrow.

In other words, citizens who have medical reasons to not be exposed to radiation, RF, etc. need to phone the court house in advance, for a schedule of what days they will be admitted on business to this public building. I can't help wondering what would have happened if she'd had jury duty that day, or had been subpoenaed to testify in a trial.

America has become a playing field for jackasses with flow charts.

By the way, that's not her only court house story. Once she arrived there with a swiss army knife still where it always is---in her purse. Security said you can't bring this in. So she took it and went outside and put it under a bush, and came back in. Security said where did you put it. Under a bush. You can't leave it on court house property. She said I can come in as long as I don't have the knife. No you can't. She said can I put it in my car? Yes. But my car is in the courthouse parking lot, so is on courthouse property. That's OK.

The trouble with arguing with an idiot is that bystanders can't tell which one of you is the idiot.

Last edited by jtur88; 09-27-2010 at 02:56 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 06:46 AM

12,413 posts, read 22,609,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Frankly, I have to wonder if we are getting the whole story. As a frequent flyer, I go through airports all the time and this story is far from what I have personally experienced and seen. In my fairly extensive experience, TA agents are just fine and their attitude varies from neutral to friendly.

The - relatively few - bad experiences I have had have always been with airline staff and not the TSA.

I do accept, however, that if someone were to adopt a major attitude with TSA staff then they might choose to retaliate in the manner described. However, I am sure that the OP did no such thing.

However, I am sure that the OP has filed a detailed complaint with the TSA and that she will update us on the status of that complaint.
Don't hold your breath on that one..it could be months if ever the woman receives a response from the idiots that run that agency....

Old 09-28-2010, 07:30 AM

1,282 posts, read 1,712,061 times
My story is true and the details are accurate. Read the posts at this site and you'll see that my experience is not that uncommon. Nude-O-Scope Opt Out Stories [merged] - FlyerTalk Forums

Perhaps even MORE interesting is that folks at this frequent flier forum agree: Atlanta Airport is far and away THE WORST in the country, as far as issues with the TSA.

I've got eight books in print which requires frequent travel. Since 2002, I've been a frequent flier. I travel around the country lecturing and selling books. I've had a lot of experiences with a lot of airports, but the experience I had in Atlanta was far and away the worst.

And yes, I've filed a complaint.

Lastly, thanks to all the kind souls who wrote supportive comments.

Rosemary
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel