U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2010, 02:37 PM

7,230 posts, read 11,289,079 times

Advertisements

It sucks for the Rolex lady. I wear a Rolex through the detector every time I travel. I never take it off at TSA. Should there come a day that I must remove it, it will go into the carry on and be fastened inside so I can keep an eye on it. Although my watches carry their own special insurance policy, I would still dislike losing one of them as most of their purchases are memorable to me.

In addition, my laptop and cameras stay close. I never, ever use the little round containers for small things. I put two bins into the machine at TSA: One for computer, one for "everything else" that must come out or cannot be condensed into my carry on.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:31 AM

4,714 posts, read 7,548,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
...rude, obnoxious and just think who the hell they are.....the rude ones far out number nice pleasant ones
As someone who flew pretty much every work for work for the better part of a decade, that is usually what I think about my fellow passengers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
The new full body x-ray should be fought by all freedom lovers. Not only are they invasive but the images can be saved and shared despite claims the TSA made.
Generally, most people who I have seen complain about this are people that most of us would not want to see naked in the first place.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:04 AM

29,988 posts, read 32,260,443 times
Woman who was cuffed to chair and had her ticket torn in half when asking questions about pat down after "optiong out" of body scan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJGvsAgpfig

Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 AM

7,842 posts, read 8,168,658 times
I won't go through the microwave. I'd rather get felt up than zapped. Especially if one is crew or a very frequent flier, there is serious question of long term effects. The pilot unions are against the scanners even. To be clear, TSA does not want you to opt out, so they make it inconvenient. I don't trust TSA whatsoever (based on having to work with them in an official capacity) so I certainly will not trust that they say it's safe.

http://www.npr.org/assets/news/2010/05/17/concern.pdf

Interesting to note that Chertoff founded a security agency that advises the company that makes these scanners. I'm sure it's just coincidence

Why Is Michael Chertoff So Excited About Full-Body Scanners?

Homeland Security Today - preparedness and security news - Michael Chertoff on His New Firm (http://www.hstoday.us/content/view/8710/151 - broken link)

Chertoff Group

Also:

http://www.optoutday.com/

Old 11-11-2010, 09:29 AM

42,673 posts, read 64,065,372 times
The airport is the only place Americans still get to opt out. See the Automotive forum for a discussion of unmarked vans that are driving around the streets equipped to body-scan whomever they please without their knowledge or consent.

http://autos.aol.com/article/x-ray-t...c3_lnk1|183480

The Techno-Papal Inquisitions have been ramped up another notch. Presumption of guilt until you submit to a means of proving your innocence.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backscatter_X-ray

Last edited by jtur88; 11-11-2010 at 09:38 AM..

Old 11-11-2010, 01:35 PM

80 posts, read 158,609 times
Default unsupportive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I'm surprised by the un-supportive response from a select few here. My biggest upset was the public pat down - which is pretty intense. Perhaps I did a poor job of explaining just how intense it is.

The other upset was being separated from my personal belongings. Do y'all not read the papers? Here in Norfolk (where I live) a woman was separated from her $24,000 Rolex watch and (surprise, surprise) the surveillance tapes from that day have gone missing.

Baker County woman sues after Rolex goes missing at Norfolk airport | jacksonville.com

I, for one, do not have the financial means to replace a wallet with traveling cash, a nice cell phone and a new Toshiba laptop, so I was pretty upset when TSA separated me from those items, leaving them to languish at the end of the conveyor built UNATTENDED and UNGUARDED.

Rosemary

I must say I am surprised by people's reactions to your post as well. Their reactions seem quite a bit more emotional than one would think is necessary to disagree with a person.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,989,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The airport is the only place Americans still get to opt out. See the Automotive forum for a discussion of unmarked vans that are driving around the streets equipped to body-scan whomever they please without their knowledge or consent.
And this is legal? Great. I can't wait until the home-vesion of this in a few years when it is smaller and cheaper. Pervs will be able to hang out in front of middle-schools and scan the kids on the way in and out. We need to shut this down NOW!

Old 11-11-2010, 03:29 PM

11,656 posts, read 21,230,662 times
I will believe almost anything negative about the TSA. And that's just based on my own personal experiences.

I've gotten the pat down before. Not pleasant but I survived.

What really got me was the 80 something YO woman in a wheelchair. She was crying because the TSA ruined her hairdo by picking through it with metal instruments. She was going to another city for her sister's funeral.

And in the meanwhile.....men wearing traditional garb under which could be hidden a nuclear device walked around unchallenged.

And BTW, I've flown all over the world and have never yet been asked to remove my watch. YET.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:44 PM

86 posts, read 197,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnu2308 View Post
HAHAHA, I read this post and laughed. If I were the screener I would have tased you for good measure. You should lock yourself in your house and never leave. K, thanks.
That's pretty insensitive to laugh at someone's else expense. I see no humor in the OP's posting.

Old 11-13-2010, 05:43 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,883,468 times
TSA agents are educated losers + many are perverts.

Its too bad the op didnt slap that tsa agent into tomorrow.

TSA is nothing but idiots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel