U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 10:32 AM

318 posts, read 698,450 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steel7 View Post
Its a 10k fine.

The procedures at the airports are out of control.

PROFILING SHOULD COME BACK.
If this is true (I totally believe it), that's f*kin nuts! The worst they should be able to do is tell you that you cannot fly! WTF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 11:18 AM

860 posts, read 1,617,574 times
I too will never fly again unless it's a dire emergency for someone I love very dearly.
My adventurous best friend rode her Harley with a couple buddies all the way from Alaska cross country to the Sturgis rally in S.D. this summer. A trip she'd wanted to make long as I can remember. Like me, she's a recluse Alaskan and rarley gets off this rock and I'd been sick with worry. She crashed 17 miles outsisde Sturgis, horrible road rash all over, 38 stitches & staples in her head, crushed foot, was a mess but ALIVE. 48 hours & 3 airports later I finally made it to her bedside and worked our way home to Alaska once she was released from the hospital.
She was in a wheelchair, bandaged from head to foot and in great agony. The first time a TSA agent whisked her away from me and shoved me in with the general population I came out of the medal detector to see this witch rubbing my friends wounds up and down, shoving her hand up into her crotch and even the wound on her cracked skull. Silent tears and a look of pure agony on her face and I could see through the gauze fresh blood from the wound on her leg. That was the ONLY TSA agent to touch her again. I don't know how I got away with it after seeing this video but I gotta tell you, I was ready to kill the next person to lay a hand on her and let them know right up front. I refused to be separated from her and demanded she not be touched, period. From then on they pulled out a chemical wand of sorts, scanned her with it a couple inches away and done deal. I suppose if I pulled that today we'd be in jail if I didn't stand there and watch them torture her.
If I can't the take the ferry or a puddle jumper out of here, I'm staying home.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:35 PM

1,300 posts, read 2,727,095 times
there is a building backlash againest the socalled pat downs and screening that is done by the tsa along with the pilot union telling the pilots not to go through the screening also ..for a few familys and females are starting to complain about the whole thing of a inpersonal search this people are doing now..

it bad when you have a person doing the pat down on a child that would make a chomo proud of the way you seach the child ..

it going to take that one special case to make the tsa people go off on a person and show them and there ways to be heavy head and it not going to stop in the courts or the media intill the tsa is gone from the airports..

that i have voted with my money for i will no longer fly or use the airlines when i travel ..now i will take the train or drive to the place when traveling ..

also there is a website that is saying that we should all not fly for one week and then tell the airlines get better screening system in place before we fly again ..the bottom line is money make them not make money and you see a better screening set up ..

Last edited by henry1; 11-15-2010 at 02:03 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 02:58 PM

14,175 posts, read 13,627,160 times
What we are dealing with here is an anti-terrorism "industry" and at the center of it is the DHS and an annual budget of $7 billion. The TSA have a vested interest in keeping the money flowing so they have to find ways to spend it. That means more fancy machines and to get them they have to dream up a "need". That need of course is "enhanced security". Alongside the TSA you have a bunch of corporations and their lobbyists who want to sell equipment and services to the TSA. They represent a powerful vested interest.

It has been established that the Israeli approach to security, which involves profiling, is more efficient than the TSA approach. But there is no money in that so no one in the "industry" wants it.

Now the airlines don't especially like what is going on but they don't hate it enough to come out in opposition. That is because it isn't really costing them much money. People still fly and many, especially those who fly for business, have no real option. Driving from Chicago to Houston for two days of meetings is not efficient; flying is.

The bottom line is that none of this is about security. It is all about money.

Last edited by Jaggy001; 11-15-2010 at 03:30 PM..

Old 11-15-2010, 03:03 PM

318 posts, read 698,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Win.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:30 PM

2,994 posts, read 3,968,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
Actually, i think it is more about politics than money, but money is an important aspect. If there was another serious problem on a flight our president would have another huge issue. That would be a nightmare situation for the country and for our president.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:47 PM

820 posts, read 1,883,183 times
This is just another reason not to use the main security checkpoint at ATL. Back in October I foolishly decided to use the main checkpoint as it looked abandoned and was shepherded to a line with a scanner. I tried to turn around and go to a normal line and was denied. I opted out and the TSA guy took my belongings from the belt and kept them next to where I was sitting the whole time. All told it was less than 10 additional minutes vs the standard. The groping is excessive and more people need to complain.

As these things are rolled out to more and more airports I think you will see the furor grow. Hopefully enough to send these things back where they came from.

The epilogue to my October story, when I opted out the TSA guy asked why. I said in a somewhat loud voice "I refuse to enter the death box". He was not amused and even less amused when the next person selected also said she refused to enter the death box.

Old 11-15-2010, 03:55 PM

13,654 posts, read 15,037,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammasCabin View Post
I too will never fly again unless it's a dire emergency for someone I love very dearly.
My adventurous best friend rode her Harley with a couple buddies all the way from Alaska cross country to the Sturgis rally in S.D. this summer. A trip she'd wanted to make long as I can remember. Like me, she's a recluse Alaskan and rarley gets off this rock and I'd been sick with worry. She crashed 17 miles outsisde Sturgis, horrible road rash all over, 38 stitches & staples in her head, crushed foot, was a mess but ALIVE. 48 hours & 3 airports later I finally made it to her bedside and worked our way home to Alaska once she was released from the hospital.
She was in a wheelchair, bandaged from head to foot and in great agony. The first time a TSA agent whisked her away from me and shoved me in with the general population I came out of the medal detector to see this witch rubbing my friends wounds up and down, shoving her hand up into her crotch and even the wound on her cracked skull. Silent tears and a look of pure agony on her face and I could see through the gauze fresh blood from the wound on her leg. That was the ONLY TSA agent to touch her again. I don't know how I got away with it after seeing this video but I gotta tell you, I was ready to kill the next person to lay a hand on her and let them know right up front. I refused to be separated from her and demanded she not be touched, period. From then on they pulled out a chemical wand of sorts, scanned her with it a couple inches away and done deal. I suppose if I pulled that today we'd be in jail if I didn't stand there and watch them torture her.
If I can't the take the ferry or a puddle jumper out of here, I'm staying home.
You should have called the police. She was being assulted in more ways then one. I have been taking the train for a couple of years. I will certainly not under any circumstances fly now. You should write to your representatives and the tsa and the airline describing this. Be graphic about it and do it personally, no form letters, and find a specific person to write.

This is insanity. Imagine a kid who's been told to never let someone touch them and then they tsa arrives. The TSA is blowing off the travel industry and airlines when they protest, but keep pushing. I agree with one poster on the subject that this may be the line in the sand they'bve been approaching for a while now.

Check our this thread and a couple others in Politics. This is hitting some very raw nerves. What gets me are the sheeple who still spout the fear card and say to blow it off...

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...our-groin.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...-happened.html

Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 PM

2,935 posts, read 10,530,419 times
Default Report Abuse During Passenger Screening in U. S. Airports

From the website of the American Civil Liberties Union:

Report Abuse During Passenger Screening in U. S. Airports

Many people are concerned about abuses during the passenger screening process in U. S. airports. Travelers have expressed concern about:
• Being forced to go through the AIT machines also known as full-body scanners or “naked scanner” machines
• Unnecessary groping of passengers’ breast or genital areas
• Humiliating experiences including for disabled or transgendered passengers
• Lack of privacy during pat-downs
• Lack of respect for religious requirements.
The ACLU is collecting individuals' stories in order to determine the scope of this problem and evaluate future action. If you have had such an experience, please help us by filling out the following questionnaire. The information you provide in this questionnaire will be kept confidential unless we contact you and obtain your permission to share it with others. Please provide detailed responses where necessary. Your input is very important! Thank you!

https://secure.aclu.org/site/SSurvey...SURVEY_ID=1440

Old 11-15-2010, 09:04 PM

16,416 posts, read 23,382,866 times
If anyone wants to look at my nude pic in this scanners so be it.. but they have to deal with the jealousy for the rest of their lives.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel