U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-16-2010, 02:40 PM
 
313 posts, read 542,396 times
Reputation: 162

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jucaam View Post
That's pretty insensitive to laugh at someone's else expense. I see no humor in the OP's posting.
I would tazer you as well...... and laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-18-2011, 09:27 AM
 
48,526 posts, read 72,382,996 times
Reputation: 17774
Bascaily the Op has the optio not to fly is about all that can be advised.I am sure that we are not gewttig the whole sotory on who acted out in this situation also.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 07:46 AM
 
1 posts, read 1,190 times
Reputation: 13
Default More abuse by Atlanta TSA

I was very touched by your experience at ATL airport. This is the second time my wife comes out in tears after going through very humilating security check by the rude Atlanta airport security crew. My wife is an American Muslim, born and raised in the US. We are both in our mid fifties. Our first experience at ATL where my wife was asked to be searched in a private room instead of the public check. She came out very upset and crying about the severity of the check. Yesterday, June 17, 2011 at 4PM, they made her go through the full body scanner without asking her for the other option. It was a male screener too. This wasn't enough for them. They also did the physical check too by a rude female security this time. If this is not discrimination, I am not sure what is it. We made a decision to stay away from Atlanta airport and to avoid flying on their Delta Airlines too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 08:08 AM
 
8,268 posts, read 9,296,330 times
Reputation: 4722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
It has been established that the Israeli approach to security, which involves profiling, is more efficient than the TSA approach.
Apples and oranges.

You are talking about Israel securing mainly an airport that is overwhelmingly international travel and moves only about 12 million annually.

Hartsfield-Jackson in Atlanta alone moves almost 90 million passengers annually, the volume of domestic flights in the United States does not reasonably lend itself to profiling in the same manner that Israel does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 08:13 AM
 
8,268 posts, read 9,296,330 times
Reputation: 4722
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salih View Post
Yesterday, June 17, 2011 at 4PM, they made her go through the full body scanner without asking her for the other option. It was a male screener too. This wasn't enough for them. They also did the physical check too by a rude female security this time.
They let you into the remotely located body scanner screening room to see the gender of the person checking the images? Somehow I doubt this.

Quote:
If this is not discrimination, I am not sure what is it.
Tell it to the people saying we should profile like Israel.

Quote:
We made a decision to stay away from Atlanta airport and to avoid flying on their Delta Airlines too.
Delta doesn't run the TSA, nor does Atlanta.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Kingston, ON
405 posts, read 395,681 times
Reputation: 455
Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
If anyone wants to look at my nude pic in this scanners so be it.. but they have to deal with the jealousy for the rest of their lives.
I think you mean laughter, not jealousy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-18-2011, 01:05 PM
 
Location: NYPD"s 30th Precinct
2,357 posts, read 3,548,571 times
Reputation: 2333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salih View Post
I was very touched by your experience at ATL airport. This is the second time my wife comes out in tears after going through very humilating security check by the rude Atlanta airport security crew. My wife is an American Muslim, born and raised in the US. We are both in our mid fifties. Our first experience at ATL where my wife was asked to be searched in a private room instead of the public check. She came out very upset and crying about the severity of the check. Yesterday, June 17, 2011 at 4PM, they made her go through the full body scanner without asking her for the other option. It was a male screener too. This wasn't enough for them. They also did the physical check too by a rude female security this time. If this is not discrimination, I am not sure what is it. We made a decision to stay away from Atlanta airport and to avoid flying on their Delta Airlines too.
A) Those pat downs are done hundreds of times a day. They all follow a very specific, but basic procedure. I've had them, there's really nothing to cry over.

B) She did have the option to get the pat down instead of the full body screener yesterday. The TSA agent doesn't have to verbally tell you this, but if you ask if there's another option they will inform you of it.

C) You have no idea the gender of the person that was viewing the image from the body screener as they are located in a remote room. That person would never be able to pull your wife out of a line up.

D) Neither Delta Airlines nor the Atlanta Airport have any say in how the TSA conducts their business. Hartsfield is free to pursue the Opt-out program and get their own private screening force, but 1) They would be operating under the exact same regulation as the TSA. Maybe they'd get a different color uniform but not much else would change, and 2) The TSA has stopped approving requests to this program, although Congress is fairly pissed off about that, so maybe that'll change.

E) It has nothing to do with discrimination. I see people everyday from all walks of life getting screened. Little old ladies, young kids, etc... of course Muslims are going to be pulled aside, but with no greater frequency than anyone else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-21-2011, 02:12 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,103 times
Reputation: 17
Perhaps only a minority of Atlanta TSA employees are rude, but what they lack in numbers they make up for in rudeness. Those of you who don't mind being treated like criminals, and that's basically what airport security is now, have no right to dismiss those of us who expect to be treated with respect. I don't believe you folks are as mellow about this as you claim. I've been in numerous airports in American and western Europe. Atlanta is the absolute worst with regard to the manners of security employees. Also, in England and France, countries that have had far more terrorism than us, (not to dismiss the trauma of 9/11), customs is generally a stroll through. As to long waits, me and my wife and son were 'randomly' pulled out of the Atlanta customs line and forced to wait 25 minutes for an open your luggage inspection. Very PC. I'm in my 60's, my wife is 10 years younger and our son is a teen-ager. We were exhausted after 11 hours of traveling, but, hey, we could have been smuggling in drugs or a suitcase bomb into the U.S. So could a lot of other folks. U.S. airport security is basically 'security theater'. There are holes in the system that aren't being plugged by harassing innocent travelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2011, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Norfolk
1,277 posts, read 1,597,649 times
Reputation: 3824
This happened one year ago. This was posted one year ago. I'm kinda shocked this thread is still active.

I'm the original poster, and I still remember the details of that wretched day.

It's swell to say, "Well, just don't fly anymore," but it's not realistic.

I travel for my work, and it's really not an option to drive 3,000 miles when I need to get to California. And when the federal government is done eviscerating the airline industry, they're going to be coming for Amtrak, and then Greyhound and who knows what's next.

Secondly, we're being stripped of our rights and our freedoms. That's no small deal, and in fact, it's the core, underlying issue here.

One day, I'll stop traveling and live a more leisurely life right here in Norfolk, VA but in the meantime, I'd like to be able to move about the country without being treated like a felon.

Rosemary Thornton
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2011, 11:17 PM
 
6,789 posts, read 6,964,111 times
Reputation: 20835
This happened one year ago. This was posted one year ago. I'm kinda shocked this thread is still active.

Quote:
I'm the original poster, and I still remember the details of that wretched day.

It's swell to say, "Well, just don't fly anymore," but it's not realistic.

I travel for my work, and it's really not an option to drive 3,000 miles when I need to get to California. And when the federal government is done eviscerating the airline industry, they're going to be coming for Amtrak, and then Greyhound and who knows what's next.

Secondly, we're being stripped of our rights and our freedoms. That's no small deal, and in fact, it's the core, underlying issue here.

One day, I'll stop traveling and live a more leisurely life right here in Norfolk, VA but in the meantime, I'd like to be able to move about the country without being treated like a felon.

I have complained on this forum and others here before about TSA and airline security. Let's begin by stating that Osama Bin Laden is now dead and that Al Quaeda is seriously weakened.

Americans tend to "want their cake and want to eat it too". We are very poor when it comes to the concept of logically evaluating data and making trade offs. That is exactly what we must start to do as a people if we are to have any kind of a future.

I submit in a country where we are talking about making $400 billion cuts to the federal budget that one of the first things to go ought to be the intense screening conducted by TSA. The budget for TSA is approximately $10 billion a year. Prior to TSA, the airlines had the responsibility of conducting passenger screening. Before 9/11 came along, I'm unaware of any other serious incidents that took place on airliners.

If as a country we are seriously going to consider cuts to Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid and other services upon which Americans depend to live than I believe TSA should be on the chopping block as well. The value we are getting from TSA is simply not worth the inconvenience we all are going through. When one person one time tries unsuccessfully to bomb one airliner with a shoe bomb, the response of the system should not be to make hundreds of thousands of travelers remove their shoes daily in the airport.

My proposal would be to eliminate TSA and return passenger screening to the airlines. I'd much rather do without TSA than many other things our government does for us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:03 AM.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top