U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2011, 02:58 PM

2,360 posts, read 3,575,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

Prior to TSA, the airlines had the responsibility of conducting passenger screening. Before 9/11 came along, I'm unaware of any other serious incidents that took place on airliners.
Nothing has changed with that. Under the current regs, the airline is still responsible for ensuring that their passengers have been screened. The difference is that instead of a private screening company (usually) it's the TSA that does it now.

It's not like pre 9/11 screeners were Delta employees or something.

Also, you're not aware of any serious aircraft incidents pre 9/11? Seriously? Air France 8969, FedEx 705, Indian Airlines 814, Lufthansa 592, Singapore 117, etc... Those are just some of the bigger ones I'm aware of without having to do much research. Not to mention the period further back in the 60s and 70s when aircraft hijackings were literally a common, almost weekly occurrence.

I mean I'm not claiming that the TSA is much more than a joke, but to claim that 9/11 was the only serious act of aircraft hijacking is quite far from the mark.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2011, 09:27 PM

29,988 posts, read 32,106,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
This happened one year ago. This was posted one year ago. I'm kinda shocked this thread is still active.

I'm the original poster, and I still remember the details of that wretched day.

It's swell to say, "Well, just don't fly anymore," but it's not realistic.

I travel for my work, and it's really not an option to drive 3,000 miles when I need to get to California. And when the federal government is done eviscerating the airline industry, they're going to be coming for Amtrak, and then Greyhound and who knows what's next.

Secondly, we're being stripped of our rights and our freedoms. That's no small deal, and in fact, it's the core, underlying issue here.

One day, I'll stop traveling and live a more leisurely life right here in Norfolk, VA but in the meantime, I'd like to be able to move about the country without being treated like a felon.

Rosemary Thornton
I quit flying and I drive everywhere now. It allows me to move about without being treated badly by the flight staff or TSA too. My final decsion came when the flightstaff refused for over 2 hrs. into a flight to allow me out of my seat to use the bathroom (and I was feeling quite I'll in the gut). The flight I took prior to that someone vomited in the aisle infront of me and the flight attendant got nasty when I asked her if she could please clean it up. Instead she came and actually sprayed me in the face with Lysol. I could barely breathe after that.

When I drive I say when I pull over, no one else; and, I don't have to put up with anyone treating me like something they stepped in.

Old 09-18-2011, 09:40 PM

8,268 posts, read 9,336,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
I quit flying and I drive everywhere now. It allows me to move about without being treated badly by the flight staff or TSA too.
It also allows you to have way fewer options for travel destinations.

Also = we manage to move all the time without being treated badly by flight staff or TSA.

Old 09-19-2011, 06:24 AM

1,277 posts, read 1,609,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
It also allows you to have way fewer options for travel destinations.

Also = we manage to move all the time without being treated badly by flight staff or TSA.
Then you must be a very well-behaved traveler, never questioning authority, never questioning inane, made-up-on-the-spot rules and always looking deferential when being interrogated by ex-McDonald's employees wielding their cloth badges.

I fly several times each year and part of the problem is, their rules are so completely capricious. Stupid, stupid stuff, too.

I was recently told to remove a 1920s silk scarf I was wearing around my neck.

When I asked why, I was told, "It's the rules."

I responded, "I'd really like to see the code section on that," and then they threatened to pull me out of line and get a supervisor.

BTW, 95% of the time, I wear scarves when flying and that was the ONLY time I was asked to remove it.

I have zero respect for the TSA. It is security theater, nothing more, and if you read the stats, you'd see they're missing the great majority of contraband items inserted into luggage during tests.

Rose

Old 09-19-2011, 12:26 PM

5,308 posts, read 5,233,551 times
Quote:
Then you must be a very well-behaved traveler, never questioning authority, never questioning inane, made-up-on-the-spot rules and always looking deferential when being interrogated by ex-McDonald's employees wielding their cloth badges.

I fly several times each year and part of the problem is, their rules are so completely capricious. Stupid, stupid stuff, too.

I was recently told to remove a 1920s silk scarf I was wearing around my neck.

When I asked why, I was told, "It's the rules."

I responded, "I'd really like to see the code section on that," and then they threatened to pull me out of line and get a supervisor.

BTW, 95% of the time, I wear scarves when flying and that was the ONLY time I was asked to remove it.

I have zero respect for the TSA. It is security theater, nothing more, and if you read the stats, you'd see they're missing the great majority of contraband items inserted into luggage during tests.

Rose
I too have no respect for the TSA. I have to go thru screening hundreds of times a year. I feel no safer after I have gone thru screening than I did before. I have to put up with inconsistant policies just like everyone else. However, I have also learned to pick my battles. While I have been asked to do many stupid and ineffective things at screening points, none of them have been anything worth getting all worked up over. As a result, I breeze on thru. I save my rage for more important things.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Then you must be a very well-behaved traveler, never questioning authority, never questioning inane, made-up-on-the-spot rules and always looking deferential
I don't think I look deferential, and really don't have much verbal interaction with them at all other than exchanging pleasantries when they check my ticket and identification. The rest is just moving along the lines doing the same thing as everyone else.... bag up, laptop out, shoes off, etc. What do you want me to question them about to display this questioning authority stance you mention? Should I demand to be able to leave my shoes on?

Quote:
when being interrogated by ex-McDonald's employees wielding their cloth badges.
I've never been interrogated by them, nor do I know where they used to work. The most interrogation I've had in the United States is from Customs officers not TSA, we often travel overseas for weeks at a time with only backpacks and for some reason this can lead to quizzes of why we didn't pick up our luggage before exiting the terminal.

Longest interrogation I've had was flying out of Vietnam when I stupidly answered that I'd been born in the United States when it is actually Japan and my passport says that. Assumed he meant where am I citizen of, so getting that question wrong got me some bonus office time.

Old 09-19-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
While I have been asked to do many stupid and ineffective things at screening points, none of them have been anything worth getting all worked up over. As a result, I breeze on thru. I save my rage for more important things.
Exactly. I find it an occasionally time consuming but generally easy process to deal with, and just can't muster the rage that some seem to be able to.

Ironically it seems people who fly the least have the most angst about it, in some cases people who never fly at all spend the most time detailing the injustices that are placed upon people or saying how everyone gets molested. Then they say they never fly. Wtf?

Old 09-19-2011, 02:16 PM

2,360 posts, read 3,575,602 times
Quote:

Then write your congressperson. Otherwise, you may as well go to Best Buy and yell at the cashier about their return policy. The TSO doing the screening has nothing whatsoever to do with policy creation.

Quote:
So you're holding up everyone behind you because you want to see their policy on scarfs in writing, and they wanted you to step out of line so everyone else could keep moving. That doesn't sound particularly unreasonable.

Old 09-19-2011, 03:07 PM

3,628 posts, read 8,477,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
Exactly. I find it an occasionally time consuming but generally easy process to deal with, and just can't muster the rage that some seem to be able to.

Ironically it seems people who fly the least have the most angst about it, in some cases people who never fly at all spend the most time detailing the injustices that are placed upon people or saying how everyone gets molested. Then they say they never fly. Wtf?
I just cross my fingers behind my back that I get to go through the regular metal detector.

Then usually laugh under my breath when they do something stupid like pass my bag through when there's nothing in there.

I find that airports that aren't that important (i'm thinking of Nashville specifically) have TSA staff that have nothing better to do than annoy people and/or scan their stuff over and over. Never once have I had a problem in Chicago. We will see how I fare in Cleveland (they are probably also bored).

Old 09-19-2011, 04:25 PM

3,644 posts, read 4,972,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
I just cross my fingers behind my back that I get to go through the regular metal detector.
I had been luck yand always gotten the metal detector until last month. Last month while flying to MIA from IAH (Houston) I got picked to go through the radiation machine. When I said I wanted to opt out things when into theatric mode right on schedule. The lady yelled "We've got an opt out". They got a guy to come over and ask me to identify my luggage and then he picked it up and took it to a side table. He did the groping thing and then told me to stand there while he tested his gloves for explosive residue. I wanted to put my shoes back on because my plane was taking off in 5 minutes (Airport taxi ran super late) but he freaked out when I started to reach for the container with my stuff in it. I knew I had to stand there like a store manaquin if I wanted to have any chance of catching my plane on time. Overall, it wasn't the intrusive, humiliating or terrifying experience of being interrogated by the East German police but it was still more than a law-abiding citizen of a free country should have to endure without any probably suspicion.

Side note: NEVER take the super shuttle (SuperShuttle Airport Shuttle Service LAX SFO DIA PHX DFW TPA JFK BWI IAD SAN DCA SMF MCI IAH LGA MSP EWR AUS SNA HOU BUR DAL OAK BNA ONT LGB RDU SJC AZA ISP PTP PIE CDG ORY BVA Airports). I have taken them twice and they were late both times. Fortunately for me my flight was cancelled once for bad weather and the other time it was 25 minutes late to arrive so I didn't miss my plane either time but I will never trust those guys again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel