Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 06:41 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times

Advertisements

My first thought was that the week before and through Christmas to New Years would be a great cheap time to travel because everyone would be staying home to be with family. Or at the very least the airlines would be crowded as people traveled to be with family and all the hotels and warm tourist destinations would be empty.
But I guess that is not the case as family's apparently take advantage of kids being out of school to take Christmas vacation away? Is that right?
I can maximize my vacation days by sandwiching them between the 25th and 1st which I get off. I would love to get some sun since I live in a winter cloudy place. But if it high season/full price and/or really crowded it might not be worth it to me.
Any knowledgeable folks out there with Christmas vacation experience ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 09:24 AM

43,620 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Traveling on Christmas Day, December 25th is usually cheap. But traveling on all the days immediately before (from December 16th onward) and all the days after until about Jan. 5-6 the flights are usually fully booked and very expensive as many people have vacation time and travel during this period.
I have heard of people that go to Florida during this time for a sunny vacation but they do book their vacation well in advance in order to find reasonable fares.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:14 AM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Actually, Christmas week is one of the most expensive to travel. We've done it many times and end up paying more than we should. So, we started traveling on January 1st, and have saved significantly. Most don't travel on that day and many are coming back from trips because they have to go back to work, kids go back to school, so you save a ton. If you ask any travel expert about this, they will recommend Jan 1 over Christmas week. The savings are very significant.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:40 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,261,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
My first thought was that the week before and through Christmas to New Years would be a great cheap time to travel because everyone would be staying home to be with family. Or at the very least the airlines would be crowded as people traveled to be with family and all the hotels and warm tourist destinations would be empty. ?
You would think that Christmas would be a great time to travel. Actually, it is one of the worst, IMHO.

First, if you are into historical sites, MANY close during the holidays. Many close Christmas Day, Christmas Eve, New Years Day, and New Years Eve. In a recent trip to Louisiana and Mississippi, we had difficulties finding anything open. We planned for closures on the holidays but not for the four day weekend.

Second, especially on the Christmas holiday, EVERYTHING closes. I used to work in hospitals. One year, my wife and I decided to find a Christmas dinner in St. Louis after work. We drove around St. Louis, MO and the only place open was a Del Taco ... and only the drive thru (and then my car broke down).

Even places that "NEVER" close like truck stops and freeway fast food joints may on the holiday.

In London, the train system and cabs all shut down on Christmas days. So, there is no service between Gatwick and the Central Business District.

Car rental agencies close, especially in smaller cities.

As for flying ON THE HOLIDAY, that trick is so well publicized that well, it does not work that well. When we started taking Thanksgiving flights in the early 90s, jets were less than half full. Now, Thanksgiving day is almost as bad as the night before. We flew MDW-CMH on Thanksgiving so mane times that I recognize at least 25% of the fliers on that flight. The airlines have really cut back on holiday flights.

We have been driving the last few years as it has been cheaper and due to the times we travel, we are able to avoid ALL traffic.

As for the cost of travel during the holidays, it is a mixed bag. You can find some phenomenal deals on hotels and occasionally rental cars if you look for deals. Flights is generally expensive, ESPECIALLY if you are INFLEXIBLE.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:51 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Sunny (and warm) accessible destinations are typically quite booked during this week.

int he USA I would consider another option with sun, but maybe not warm (such as southern UT National Parks). I think you will find lodging in 'destinations' to be spendy, but I will imagine there are smaller towns with affordable lodging. I would 'couchsurf' in a town with a nice recreation center that is open that week. I would look at Moab, UT too but ORV 'Christmas' crowd may be too much. Consider smaller towns that are NOT on the interstate highway.

I can recommend Lead, SD and staying at the hostel there. (you will need to verify if community center is open that week (Sturgis and Spearfish have nice recreation centers too)). There is a nearby Ski destination that may make Lead expensive and crowded this week. Custer, SD might be another option.

If you want warm and sunny, then do a small town in the SE of USA or in Mexico. Any 'prime' venues will be booked and crowded. Small towns will be largely closed down (so activities limited, R&R & hiking possible, bring a good book)

Old 09-26-2010, 11:28 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Flights are very expensive around Christmas time because there's a lot of people traveling to see family. I did once take a flight on Boxing day, the day after Christmas and it was very quiet but not cheap.

Old 09-26-2010, 12:02 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Second, especially on the Christmas holiday, EVERYTHING closes. I used to work in hospitals. One year, my wife and I decided to find a Christmas dinner in St. Louis after work. We drove around St. Louis, MO and the only place open was a Del Taco ... and only the drive thru (and then my car broke down).
Not the case in San Diego! We first visited San Diego over Christmas in 2006, we were amazed at how it felt like any other day. Beaches were packed, restaurants open, and no one at home celebrating with family. We right then said we are moving there, and in October 2008, we did. Since we've been here, everything is still open on Christmas. Finding restaurants that are open is not a problem and of course you can hang out on the beach, enjoying our beautiful weather. Maybe the Southern states close, but here in San Diego, holidays feel just like every other day and we love it that way. Not everyone celebrates Christmas, and it's unfair to close down an entire city for someone else's religious holiday.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:17 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
Appreciate the input. I was hoping for somewhere somewhat quiet with good birdwatching, sunny but not necessarily hot. Water and southern migration areas usually equates to good bird watching so anywhere along the coast. I would love to drive but the coast in any direction is what...22 hours southern Ohio to the keys. Off to see if there are good bird areas that are also not tourist destinations that won't roll up the sidewalks so completely that I starve Inputs appreciated

Old 09-26-2010, 02:38 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
The Florida Birding Trail
We get some migrating birds coming through here.
Some of the most amazing sights I ever saw were in northwest Florida, but I've seen everything from bald eagles to indigo buntings over here on the east side, too.
Our neck of the woods might suit you, because we have tourism, but it's on the low key side. There would definitely be some places open for the holidays. It's festive, but not overwhelming.

About traveling on Christmas: You have already received good advice.

I've traveled on Christmas, and I'll probably do it again, but it can sometimes be a hassle, and it is rarely a moneysaver.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:48 PM

2,205 posts, read 3,331,012 times
I am going to Las Vegas this Christmas.
Flights on Dec. 24th in the evening are cheap, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel