Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 07:37 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,175,851 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAtheBanker View Post
Love, love, love Southwest.
Yup. Their fares are extremely competitive, no charges for bags, and I've found their boarding system to be one of the easiest to use to consistently get good seating without facing a rumble at the gate. Just sit at your computer 24 hours and 5 minutes before the flight pressing "F5" over and over to refresh the checkin page until you get in = always guaranteed good seat the front half of the plane.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2010, 11:25 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,675,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjaw View Post
I've found their boarding system to be one of the easiest to use to consistently get good seating without facing a rumble at the gate. Just sit at your computer 24 hours and 5 minutes before the flight pressing "F5" over and over to refresh the checkin page until you get in = always guaranteed good seat the front half of the plane.
Some of us who travel quite frequently prefer carriers to assign us a seat as we have more important things to do than sit in front of our computers hovering over the F5 button.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Some of us who travel quite frequently prefer carriers to assign us a seat ...
and some of us who fly all the time just want to "get-on-and-go" with a flight crew that enjoys their job, is proud of their company, and are helpful at telling folks to "Grab the first available seat" and Let's Fly/ Iflyswa, tho only way to go (as millions of miles go unused in my 'major carrier' accts). I find flying those 'other' carriers in USA is disgusting as folks jam a zillion carry-ons into very little space.

I'll keep flying with "free-bags" and be much happier when they start the Tokyo run Tho that is quite a ways on a 737 and to not be "bumped' into first class. But fortunately there are good choices left like Thai and Singapore airlines. They are a "Cut-above", or... MANY levels above the USA carriers.

Old 10-05-2010, 03:46 PM

2,987 posts, read 5,238,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
and some of us who fly all the time just want to "get-on-and-go" with a flight crew that enjoys their job, is proud of their company, and are helpful at telling folks to "Grab the first available seat" and Let's Fly/ Iflyswa, tho only way to go (as millions of miles go unused in my 'major carrier' accts). I find flying those 'other' carriers in USA is disgusting as folks jam a zillion carry-ons into very little space.

I'll keep flying with "free-bags" and be much happier when they start the Tokyo run Tho that is quite a ways on a 737 and to not be "bumped' into first class. But fortunately there are good choices left like Thai and Singapore airlines. They are a "Cut-above", or... MANY levels above the USA carriers.
I don't love or hate SWA, kind of indifferent, but sometimes the free for all seating is not ideal. When I was flying with my family and in-laws back from Disney, we got split into different seating zones (We didn't have computer access). My fam got fine seats together (we have kids under 5), but then the in-laws (who speak limited english) started boarding. My cousin (age 9-no English) got a seat relatively near us with an empty seat next to him. By the time his uncle and grandparents could board, a guy sat down in the seat next to my cousin. My wife asked if he could switch seats and the guy started bitching about the no assigned seats policy at SWA...a complete butthole.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,660 posts, read 57,778,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost3am View Post
I don't love or hate SWA, kind of indifferent, but sometimes the free for all seating is not ideal. ... My wife asked if he could switch seats and the guy started .. about the no assigned seats policy at SWA...
I understand, BUT I have seen many more accommodating folks on almost every SWA flight I take. The crew often does and excellent job of de-fusing those types, and I have seen other passengers take the initiative to help folks change seating when needed, quite often helping w/ kids and baggage. Having traveled internationally extensively as a young family, I can appreciate the needs of parents, and the USA has a significant lower quality / respect of families / parenthood (as well as eldercare) than most 3rd world countries.

I have a feeling the larger presence on the east coast will not erode the SWA experience.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:04 PM

8,263 posts, read 12,175,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
Some of us who travel quite frequently prefer carriers to assign us a seat as we have more important things to do than sit in front of our computers hovering over the F5 button.
Hah your day is so tied up with important matters that you can't spend a few minutes the day before a flight to get a good seat, but you can take the time to log on to CityData, read this thread, and post that you more important things to do.

Interesting perspective, important guy.

Also = you fly enough you are automatically in front of A group anyway, so easy seat picking without wasting your three minutes that could be spent posting.

Last edited by slackjaw; 10-06-2010 at 06:20 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel