U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2010, 09:50 AM

3,605 posts, read 5,054,789 times

Advertisements

How unbearable would it be to take a 1 1/2 hour flight about two weekends a month to visit family ?

Would this be doable ? Would I get sick all the time from the flus and colds on the plane ? Are prices double in summer and December ?

I understand that many people fly all the time for business, but does anybody fly all the time for pleasure ?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 10:00 AM

12,265 posts, read 18,393,933 times
Answers in sequence:
not unbearable
yes
no
no not doubled but expect higher cost with the higher demand
yes

Old 09-29-2010, 10:01 AM

3,850 posts, read 9,437,792 times
A 1.5 hour flight is not that bad. There are lots of things you can do to make it easier on yourself. Book enough in advance to get a good seat. Sign up for frequent flier awards. Take a taxi or get a ride to the airport if you can to avoid parking hassles. Leave a stash of toiletries at your destination so you don't have to pack/carry them. I take Airborne or Emergen-C before a flight to help boost my immune system and I haven't gotten sick in quite awhile. I used to get sick all the time when I flew.

December is OK unless you're talking the 22nd on- then flights are expensive and crowded. You'll have to book early and your best bet is to fly on Tuesday, Wednesday or Saturday. If you don't book around 4th of July weekend, summer should be OK.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:18 AM

4,836 posts, read 10,183,245 times
Twice a month is not that much. Enjoy the flying and join a frequent flyer program and try to fly that same airline every time to earn the most miles/points possible.

Do pilots or flight attendants get sick all the time? No, its completly fine. Enjoy the flying.

Legacy Airlines: American, Delta, United, US Airways give more perks then airlines like Jet Blue or Southwest.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:35 AM

5,027 posts, read 13,408,296 times
I'd kill for a 1.5 hour flight to see family. Mine is 6 and 14, depending who I want to see. That said, my husband travels between NYC and San Diego (6 hr flight) every single week. Leaves home on Sunday night, flies in on Friday, then out again Sunday. He's home for a day and a half. They're working on a project, so he has to be there during the week, for about 2 months. Sure, he could just stay, but he wants to see his family and he's getting an insane amount of miles on Delta for these trips. He says it's not so bad so 1.5 hours must be a breeze!

If you have the means to do it, go for it. Much better than driving all that way!

Old 09-29-2010, 10:46 AM

367 posts, read 952,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davros View Post
How unbearable would it be to take a 1 1/2 hour flight about two weekends a month to visit family ?

Would this be doable ? Would I get sick all the time from the flus and colds on the plane ? Are prices double in summer and December ?

I understand that many people fly all the time for business, but does anybody fly all the time for pleasure ?
1. Depends on if you get along OK with your family, then I guess you'll be fine. Since you start out with words like "unbearable", I think that you may have to prepare for the social interaction. Is this the relationship forum?

2. Depends on how strong your immune system is and your general health. I fly around 70 flights a year, and haven't been sick in years. Prices in general will always be higher around holidays.

3. ?? This is relevant why?

Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 AM

3,162 posts, read 8,628,623 times
no big deal at all.

1.5 hour flight is QUICK. Shouldn't be an issue at all. Enjoy.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:50 AM

9,123 posts, read 17,125,688 times
In Mid 80's I was flying to/from Newark/Houston 2x a month for 6 months. Was not to bad was bout 2.5h flight. After few flights had High FF status, was allway getting upgrated, would get to the gate 10-15min before flight time. After few flight the FA seem to get know you (they keep) profiles on the biz class passengers, so when you get on they 'seem' to know what you want to drink.
Never got sick,
I didn't pay for the ticket, but I understand we had a contracted rate that did not change (back then)
I had rental car on both ends, so Getting to/from the airport was just drop and go, pick up and go. Only took a small carry on to the plane. Left all my cloths etc behind. in Houston. Only took, 'oversized' briefcase with work stuff, and few odd/ends that I would need in NJ.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:20 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times
The guy who owns Wiki-Leaks has no fixed address, and just flies around from airport to airport.

Which probably takes a lot of money to do, and if you have that much money, why not?

I once knew a journalist who lived on a train in Turkey. The Turkish government had a deal where accredited journaists got 90% discounts on all trains, so he would take an overnight train from Istanbul to Ankara, spend the day at sidewalk cafes and evening at cabarets, then take the overnight sleeper back to Istanbul. He did that for months.

Flying often would be OK. Getting to, through and from the airport, not so nice.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:10 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,252,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The guy who owns Wiki-Leaks has no fixed address, and just flies around from airport to airport.

Which probably takes a lot of money to do, and if you have that much money, why not?

I once knew a journalist who lived on a train in Turkey. The Turkish government had a deal where accredited journaists got 90% discounts on all trains, so he would take an overnight train from Istanbul to Ankara, spend the day at sidewalk cafes and evening at cabarets, then take the overnight sleeper back to Istanbul. He did that for months.

Flying often would be OK. Getting to, through and from the airport, not so nice.
Loved the story about the journalist - its exactly the kind of think my mum expects me to do...she starts every phone call to me with "where are you now ?'

1.5 hours once a week is still less than a lot of peoples commute to work. As long as you normally eat properly and are healthy there should be no worries about getting colds etc.
make a lis of all the books you wanted to read, get on to Amazon and use the time constructively.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel