U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 10:20 PM

659 posts, read 2,410,614 times

Advertisements

The wife and I will have an overnight layover in Hong Kong on our Asia trip in January.

We would love to see some of the sights in Hong Kong, but have no clue if that would be possible and if so, what to see so as to not miss our flight.

Our flight plan:
Arrive Jan 7 20:00
Depart Jan 8 13:05

Should we keep our bags at the airport and catch transit into the city first thing in the morning and hit the top 3 sights and return in time for our flight? Not sure how the weather will be at that time, plus traffic is unknown.

Any ideas/insights/sample itinerary would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 10:32 PM

1,339 posts, read 2,252,854 times
I would make a reservation at Aqua Aqua Restaurant Group – Hong Kong, Beijing, London for either Aqua - Italian/Japanese or Hutong Chinese food. Both have AMAZING views of Hong Kong island. You can get a taxi straight from the airport and as there are 2 of you its not too expensive and saves wasting time getting lost. Afterwards if you are staying on HK island go for a night cap in Lan Kwai Fong. Stay on Hong Kong Island if you have a choice. There is a good and not too expensive hotel called the Bishops Lei friends of mine stayed at. Bishop Lei International House (Main)
Get up early and take a cab to the peak lookout. You can walk around - It takes about 50 mins and if its a clear day you will get an amazing view of the island. Take the peak tram down and grab a taxi to the airport express in central and you will be in the airport in about 30 mins. Immigration is usually very speedy in HK and I never arrived at the airport more then 2 hours before a flight.

I lived there for 3 years and LOVED it there !!!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:41 PM

If you can leave bags at the airport and do an overnight bag that would be ideal.......I wouldn't waste the night by staying at the airport though. HK is a late night city..... It should be fairly quick t get through and out of the airport... a taxi to HK island / the bit where Aqua is will take about 40 mins...

weather should be a nice 14/18 degrees during the day...History : Weather Underground

Old 10-12-2010, 08:08 PM

Awesome ... great advice!

We will be on a budget so the hotel recommendaton is much appreciated.

So it looks like we can diffenately get out of the airport to look around. We are CDN citizens, do we need to obtain a visa to travel around on our layover?

Old 10-12-2010, 08:15 PM

Apparently Canadian / US / Brits don't need a visa...

But maybe do some googling in case.... Be sure to race off the plane and get to the immigration queue quickly.. Your bags will probably be on the belt before you get there, they are incredibly efficient !! Or if you don't need to collect them even better !! ask when you check in in Canada....

You can find cheaper hotels I am sure but that one isn't too expensive if you get a basic room and time will be more of a concern for such a short trip so being in the middle of things will be best - IMO.

Where else does your trip take you ??

Old 10-12-2010, 08:24 PM

Thanks again for the great info.

We are going to India with layovers in Hong Kong

Old 10-12-2010, 08:42 PM

ooh where in India?? we are leaving Asia in 13 days ( and counting !!) and I really regret not getting to Kerela......

Have done Mumbai, Agra, Dehli, Jaipur, Mandawa and Goa though..... Are you going to get to the Taj Mahal ??

Old 10-12-2010, 10:23 PM

We are mainly going to the province of Gujarat because we have heard of the great history and temples there ... especially the ones not commonly known. Also Mahatma Gandhi's ashram and legacy is in Gujarat.

There is also a wild lion sanctuary (only one in the world I believe) called Gir which I have been to once before and there is only one world to describe my experience: mystical. I cannot explain it in words, and pictures do not do my travel experience there any justice ... one has to experience it for themselves to know what I am saying. It has more than just lions ... ashrams along a river, hippos, deer, crocs, peacocks all living in harmony and a few mystical experiences which cannot be explained by science.

We will also be going to Delhi, Jaipur and Agra for the Taj Mahal.

I the past I have done Mumbai, Banglore, Mysore, Ooti, Kodi Kanal and Kerela. Very beautiful places and lots to do.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:36 PM

my tip for the Taj is to get there for sunset, stay overnight. go to be early and get there for about 10 mins before it opens. We did this and ran in and had photos taken by our guide and there wasn't another person in them at all....
Attached Thumbnails
Overnight Layover in Hong Kong-dsc01896.jpg  

Old 10-13-2010, 09:45 PM

3,080 posts, read 9,938,486 times
El-Cheapo Chimes in:

If you really wanna be cheap, you can forgo the expensive taxis or the airport express and ride the comfortable city bus to and from the airport, savings yourself about 200HKD. I think it's the E11 which will take you pretty much to downtown HK and also back to the airport. My wife and I did this and it only cost a few extra minutes coming in as it rolls through the commercial shipping areas of the airport to drop off workers before getting to the passenger terminals. It's not hard to figure out thanks to the Internet and a little asking around. (Disclaimer: We're late-20's and used to RTW backpacking. It might be tougher for greenhorns or people with mobility issues.)

Many of the taller buildings have free observation decks. I think a decent one is at the distinctive Bank of China. I would certainly get down to the waterfront on HK island your first night to take in the city skyline of Kowloon from the Walk of the Stars. If you can get over to Kowloon before 1AM or so, the Temple Street Night Market might be worth a look. There was a typhoon when we were there, so it was pretty dead.

The mid-level escalators are free, and it's a fun area to walk through. (They only go up except during morning rush hour, so you'll need to walk down). The peak tram is sort of a must-do, but it's kinda ho-hum if the weather is bad. Walking is free, but trollys are so cheap it's worth hopping on one. The underground is kinda expensive, but the best way across the harbor fast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel