U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-06-2007, 06:07 PM

330 posts, read 996,638 times

Advertisements

Oh - we took the redeye - direct to JFK - so luggage and cats arrived with us and all in one piece. In fact - we got the cats before we got our luggage. They brought them down right away - before I had time to work myself into a dither!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2007, 06:21 PM

43,114 posts, read 20,065,575 times
Flying is much safer than driving. Think of it this way, when you fly across the country, there's a better chance of winning a high odds lottery, than something going wrong with the flight. In fact, if you were to drive across the country, your risks would be much higher than flying.

There's nothing to worry about, just kick back and enjoy the flight.

Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 PM

5,163 posts, read 10,289,568 times
Honestly, whenever someone tells me that flying is safer than driving, it just makes me more afraid to drive! LOL! I used to love flying when I was a child. Then I became an adult (and apparently a control freak to boot!), and ever since then I've been nervous.

When it gets turbulent, I've learned to pull out my Word Search puzzles (or Sudoku now!) and take my mind off of, "Oh, gee, we're 35,000 feet up, going 500 mph through bumpy air!!!" etc.

I'm flying a lot on my vacation in October, including smaller airplanes that I've never been on. This should be very interesting; I'm going from Los Angeles to Ft. Myers, FL (with a stop in Miami), then three days later I'm going from Ft. Myers to Minnapolis, MN (with a stop somewhere), and then I'm flying home (again with stop somewhere). *sigh*

I appreciate the mechanics who have given their two cents on this thread. I'm glad to know that you're so dedicated to airplane maintenance! Thank you!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:15 PM

325 posts, read 750,277 times
I am terrified to fly, but my fear is more of terroism I guess after 9/11. I was afraid to fly before that, but the attacks made me even more fearful. It is likely with airline security that we wont have to worry about an act of terroism again on an airline at least. Then I see the movie final destionation where the plane blows up seconds after taking off. Things like that scare the pants off of me.
I am planning a trip to Seattle next summer and am seriously considering taking a 2.5 day trip via Amtrak due to my fear of flying. Especially since there are no direct flight to Seattle from my hometown. Putting myself through this misery twice each way just pure torture for me. I really think about it another perspective a 5 hour flight or a 50 hour train ride? The plane ride seems like the better option more and more each day. My problem is that I cant get Xanax or get drunk as I will be traveling alone with my 5 yr old son. I cant be in any condition since I will have to look after him.
Does anyone know if an i-pod or something like that makes it easier. Can you take laptops on planes? Hours go by like you wouldnt believe playing pogo or typing messages on this site when I am at home. I might also try reading a book. When I am at home I fall asleep with in 20 minutes of reading a book. I dont know what the final result will be, but I hope I get over my fear of flying soon. It is keeping me grounded from experiencing some of the things I want to experience in my life. San Fransisco is also high on my list, but being on the east coast I need to get over this fear ASAP.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM

5,163 posts, read 10,289,568 times
Princess, have you ever tried doing things to keep your mind occupied, like word search puzzles, crossword puzzles, etc.? I find that the Fill-It-In puzzles are good, because the harder ones take more concentration.

I wouldn't want to be all doped up during a flight, anyway. What if something happened and I had to be able to be coherent and move to the nearest exit?! I know, I know, the chances are slim, but still...

I'm not that scared of terrorism in the air. In that respect we all take our chances, and the probability of being blown up by a terrorist is minimal.

You can take a laptop on the plane with you, but I think you can't use it during takeoff and landing. Music is a good idea if you're not easily distracted (I am).

Don't let your son know how scared you are, because your fear can transmit to him. When I took my kids to Florida they were 7 and almost 4, and they looked a little nervous during some light turbulence, so I told them, "Isn't this fun? It's just bumpy air." On the way back, we had heavier turbulence that made me very nervous, but they were laughing!

I don't have enough vacation time to be able to drive or take a train to where I want to go. It's just not feasible to try to drive from L.A. to Fort Myers, FL! My trip is in 11 days; I'm excited and nervous.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 PM

Sandy thank you for you suggestions. Also tell me about your trip when you return.

Has anyone flown with young children. How do they generally react on first flights? My son is 5. I think he might find it to be a fun adventure but I dont know for sure. There are lots of kids that fly everyday so it shouldnt be that bad.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:47 AM

1,856 posts, read 5,959,656 times
Lots of people bring laptops and watch their own DVD's. You should get a splitter so you can plug in two sets of head phones. That way you and your son can both watch the same movie. All of the Airbuses have in seat power to plug in your laptop. Go to Radio Shack. They can help with the right adapters. We also have some pretty good cross country movies too. This month is Pirates of the Caribbean, Fantastic Four, and Next.

I know that you will be flying out of PIT. You don't have to worry about any terrorists there. There is more to security than what you see. If you happen to pick the right airline there is also a good chance that I personally worked on your plane.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:26 AM

3,589 posts, read 443,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgfludd View Post
I have to fly across country in 3 weeks - and I've already started to break out in hives? Any advice? Can't drink on the plane - as I wont be able to eat a few days beforehand when the real nerves kick in. Friends suggested fear of flying classes - but the closest thing I could find was in San Fran - which means I'd have to FLY there - besides I don't have time for that. In a perfect world I'd be put under anesthesia when I buckled into my seat - and wake at the gate in NY. Le sigh.....
There's a movie you can (pay to) download that helped me a lot; it's on my laptop at home so I can't remember exactly where I got it but PM me and I'll tell you about it when I have access to it.

Ativan helped me a lot; valium just doesn't cut it. I once took 5 valium for an overseas flight and it didn't help at all; I didn't even sleep. When I moved back to the USA from Europe I had to fly to get back here and I suffered severe anxiety about it, but the flights themselves weren't all that bad with the ativan. I also watched that video that I mentioned every day, and I had taken two fear of flying courses in the UK prior to leaving. I don't think they helped, though; they did not tell me anything I did not already know.

What, specifically, makes you nervous about flying?

Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Range Family View Post
Lots of people bring laptops and watch their own DVD's. You should get a splitter so you can plug in two sets of head phones. That way you and your son can both watch the same movie. All of the Airbuses have in seat power to plug in your laptop. Go to Radio Shack. They can help with the right adapters. We also have some pretty good cross country movies too. This month is Pirates of the Caribbean, Fantastic Four, and Next.

I know that you will be flying out of PIT. You don't have to worry about any terrorists there. There is more to security than what you see. If you happen to pick the right airline there is also a good chance that I personally worked on your plane.
South Range......It's USAir right!!!!! I have been looking into some different airlines. The fares are great right now also. Only about 400 for both of us. That could be a deciding factor as well.

What scares me? I thint the factor of the unknown. I flew as a kid but Im nearly 30 now. I dont remember anything. I dont what its like in the air. Thats what probably scares me the most.

Old 10-07-2007, 01:47 PM

65 posts, read 255,466 times
The scenery is beautiful on that route! An excellent way to see the wide country! And only 2.5 days - I say go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspolamalu View Post
I am planning a trip to Seattle next summer and am seriously considering taking a 2.5 day trip via Amtrak due to my fear of flying. Especially since there are no direct flight to Seattle from my hometown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel