Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many hours on a flight is too long for you?
1 - 5 hours 6 13.64%
6 - 10 hours 14 31.82%
11 - 15 hours 8 18.18%
16 - 20 hours 3 6.82%
20 - 25 hours 5 11.36%
Anything over 25 hours 4 9.09%
None of the above 4 9.09%
I hate flying! 0 0%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2010, 12:34 PM

17,208 posts, read 57,041,396 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I would take that over regular coach any day. The company would probably be better as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
If you're flying over a couple hours, you probably don't want to fly coach anyways. And business/first are fairly comfortable.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:52 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,564,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
Non-stop flight - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
FYI Newark--Singapore is 8285 miles. Newark Johanessburg is 7984 or 17:20 minutes.
I just did this one to move here, the longest commercial non stop I think ....

Wasn't too bad. Singapore airlines all business 100 seat.... a coupld of moves a couple of naps and a couple of meals.....

Old 11-10-2010, 02:34 AM

12,823 posts, read 21,993,461 times
The longest I've flown is BOS-Chennai (via Frankfurt and one time via Heathrow). The total time is about 19-22 hours (including a 3-5 hour layover or so). I've flown this business class only (not on my dime, thankfully) so it really hasn't been that bad. I've heard awful stories about Lufthansa's economy class seats too (I usually do this route on Lufthansa). The food, drink, room and seats in business class are fine. I can manage.

The worst flights (in terms of time) I've had were Madrid-JFK on Delta (economy) with strong headwinds (close to 9 hours I believe) and BOS-SFO on Jet Blue with headwinds forcing a stop in Salt Lake where strong winds kept us grounded for an extra hour and a half. Total time- 8 hours on a flight scheduled for 6. It was a bumpy ride with the fasten seatbelt sign illuminated most of the time.

I'll fly as long as you can keep me in the air if I'm business or first class. I think I'd crack at about 12-15 hours of economy.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:05 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I just returned from a torturous flight from Madrid to JFK. OK, that was my longest flight and I will not be doing that again. My body is still recovering a week later.

Add to that, I HATE FLYING! Did I make this clear? I HATE FLYING! But we fly at least 3 times a year and I deal with it. Newark to Orlando, Newark to Vegas, Newark to Phoenix, and we have 2 flights planned - Newark to San Francisco and Newark to San Juan. I will deal with them with some nice tranqs and pray the people on the plane don't get mad when I yell "OH SH*T" when the plane does a sudden drop from turbulence; or when I start to cry because the turbulence is non-stop. I try not to make comments about the wings flapping so much they look like they are about to fall off.

We fly economy but my husband buys 3 seats so I can move around/squirm because of my bad back. My 3 worst flights were from Newark to Miami where we were scheduled to take-off before 7 am and didn't get off the runway until 2 pm having sat on the taxi-way for over 6 hours! They held the ship - seriously. Next worst was the AirEuropa from Madrid to JFK. What on earth is the airline thinking when the arm rests only go half way up?! Plus it was turbulence all the way (thanks to Tomas), seatbelt sign on for all but maybe 30 minutes. And the next worst was Nashville to Newark - turbulence, rain, lightning, side-slipping the entire trip. I had read the weather report and didn't want to even get on the plane - but I did - and I'm sorry I did. Nex time it's stand-by so I don't HAVE to get on if I want to stay over an extra night.

I'm looking in a train trip now.

Old 11-10-2010, 11:14 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
You're not lying down, and turbulence has a much worse effect than it does on commercial air.

Old 11-11-2010, 02:24 PM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
Flights, especially overseas flights, are a luxurious experience, even in coach. Free food, padded seats, and often personal entertainment screens.

Compared to MOST other forms of long-distance travelling I've done, flying is a joy. A chance to catch up on sleep, waking up to be catered to by flight attendants, and maybe watch a few movies.

My only complaint is that it is too expensive.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:05 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,495,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sponger42 View Post
Flights, especially overseas flights, are a luxurious experience, even in coach. Free food, padded seats, and often personal entertainment screens.

Compared to MOST other forms of long-distance travelling I've done, flying is a joy. A chance to catch up on sleep, waking up to be catered to by flight attendants, and maybe watch a few movies.

My only complaint is that it is too expensive.
Thats right spending 12 hours in a train with wooden seats, no airconditioning, almost as many animals as people and with a top speed of about 15mph is something everyone should do once. Makes you appreciate luxuries a lot more.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:38 AM

3,644 posts, read 6,302,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielsa1775 View Post
Thats right spending 12 hours in a train with wooden seats, no airconditioning, almost as many animals as people and with a top speed of about 15mph is something everyone should do once. Makes you appreciate luxuries a lot more.
India?

Old 11-12-2010, 11:39 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,060,716 times
0 India, Cambodia, China. These are the worst places I've been for mass transit (I'm sure there are worse, I just haven't been there.) "Organized" ground transportation may be your feet, a board bolted in the back of a Unimog (if you're lucky) and no matter what, it's always crowded, noisy, dirty, and looooong. Once I noticed a bus driver in Cambodia dealing with the annoying passengers/livestock by drinking beer. Nice.
1 Malaysia, Thailand, Spain, Hungary, Slovakia and Vietnam are better, but still no fun.
2 Trains in Western Europe are hit-and-miss, depending on the country and the line.
3 Flying is better than all the above, at least on domestic US and Chinese flights.
4 International flights beat domestic.
5 Trains in Taiwan and Japan are better than flying, but they take so darn long to go any great distance. Some HS trains in developed countries (and if you are VERY lucky in China) are also good.
6 You can't beat travel by super-ferry or cruise ship. Except for the time it takes. Even if you don't have a cabin on a ferry, you've got the run of the ship's salons, which is pretty much like hanging out in a string of nice hotel lobbies for 30-something hours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel