U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2010, 02:27 PM

24,640 posts, read 14,662,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
I'm still waiting for someone to provide me with statistics and other facts to prove what I have said wrong. No, I sure don't know a whole lot about Europe--if I did, that would mean I've wasted time in my terminal life learning about something that simply does not interest me and information I'll probably never use--except, of course, to deal with little asshats on the internet who like to flame people lol. I don't claim to know a whole lot in comparison to what I know about Africa. But I still stand by what I've said, even if it isn't much.

And stereotypes and generalizations are based on facts. Idealists just don't like them because they're politically incorrect.

Europe simply doesn't have the population and culture I'm looking for. Period. I'm done arguing about it. Yeah, so there might be a neighborhood here or a city there to prove me wrong. But that pales in comparison to the majority of an entire continent no matter how you choose to continue to spin it.

And no, I didn't check the place out during my layover. That was my layover when I finally got to go home after being stranded in Uganda for an extra week due to that ash cloud crap in April. I had to spend the night in the airport in order to go home. I was going home to Detroit via Chicago after living on the equator for 3 months; I really didn't want to wander aimlessly around London Heathrow for a few hours in the blustery cold since that was what I was going "home" to. I didn't have a point to prove, either to myself or anyone else.
Then don't go.
But stop talking out of your butt about something you know nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2010, 02:32 PM

318 posts, read 444,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Then don't go.
But stop talking out of your butt about something you know nothing about.

I'm not going, at least not until I decide I want something different out of my study abroad experiences or a vacation someday in the future. That was never even in question. Based on all of the back-and-forth that occurred over the course of this thread, however, it seems there were a small number attempting to convince me otherwise. I made one simple post. The rest of this was a matter of me having to defend my own opinion, something that any rational person really shouldn't give a sh* about.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I'm not going, at least not until I decide I want something different out of my study abroad experiences or a vacation someday in the future. That was never even in question. Based on all of the back-and-forth that occurred over the course of this thread, however, it seems there were a small number attempting to convince me otherwise. I made one simple post. The rest of this was a matter of me having to defend my own opinion, something that any rational person really shouldn't give a sh* about.
No one cares.
You came into this thread being all snotty about something you've never experienced.
Please, Americans (like myself) who live in Europe prefer it if you don't visit. We've got more than enough people like you traveling here.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:52 PM

318 posts, read 444,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No one cares.
You came into this thread being all snotty about something you've never experienced.
Please, Americans (like myself) who live in Europe prefer it if you don't visit. We've got more than enough people like you traveling here.
If you didn't care, neither you nor anyone else would have replied.

Anyway, if I can believe you that there's a bunch of Americans going to Europe when they have no interest in the place, and they're going just to be inwardly-democratic about their travel experiences, then that is messed up. But I'm not one of them (hence, your comment sounds a bit contradictory unless I misunderstood you) and I won't be in the future!

Old 11-15-2010, 10:48 PM

Quote:
If you didn't care, neither you nor anyone else would have replied.

Anyway, if I can believe you that there's a bunch of Americans going to Europe when they have no interest in the place, and they're going just to be inwardly-democratic about their travel experiences, then that is messed up. But I'm not one of them (hence, your comment sounds a bit contradictory unless I misunderstood you) and I won't be in the future!
It's not a political issue, little one; hopefully you'll learn that as you mature.
This is a message board, we respond to absurd posts all the time; yours included.

Old 11-15-2010, 10:54 PM

14,452 posts, read 12,689,595 times
I have to agree with alamosakid... there was just a thread earlier about which continents people were uninterested to go.. plenty of people replied to it, so why give him crap? He's simply uninterested in going to that area.. does it really matter? I'll tell you what, he went to uganda and I am not interested at all in that, and i bet the people are different in each city.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
I have to agree with alamosakid... there was just a thread earlier about which continents people were uninterested to go.. plenty of people replied to it, so why give him crap? He's simply uninterested in going to that area.. does it really matter? I'll tell you what, he went to uganda and I am not interested at all in that, and i bet the people are different in each city.
Because he didn't let it drop there.
He posted like a petulant child with no information, simply I don't want to for x reasons that aren't factual.
He got himself into this discussion by continually posting as he did.

This is not that thread.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:06 PM

14,452 posts, read 12,689,595 times
This thread is specifically asking if Europe is for everyone, Europe isn't for him.

Old 11-15-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burgler09 View Post
This thread is specifically asking if Europe is for everyone, Europe isn't for him.
But he didn't leave it at that.
He argued his point time and again based on nothing.
He argued based on erroneous information that he admittedly made up.

Not that he didn't want to go to Europe, but that Europe is x, y and z when Europe is not.
He admitted that he had no facts and was going on his opinion that was not fact based.

No one said it was for everyone, but why make up lies as your basis?

Last edited by chielgirl; 11-15-2010 at 11:42 PM..

Old 11-16-2010, 05:35 AM

13,036 posts, read 15,070,971 times
If you have already made your mind up before any experience of "Europe" ( a culturally, socially, geographically, architecturally, culinary wise, music-wise, mores and traditions-wise, economically incredibly varied continent) then I suspect the answer is a big fat "NO".

To dismiss an entire continent on a little reading is so ludicrous that quite frankly the mind boggles.

If someone is willing to negate the wide ranging appeals of Europe simply on hearsay maybe travelling in general is not a good idea. It is like fussy eaters "eeeeeeeeeew I don't like that " , when they haven't even tried it.

I can't think of anywhere which is not for me before I have even set foot and experienced it properly.

Some people have to accept that travel isn't for everyone, Europe or not Europe.

Travelling is about experiencing things for oneself and giving yourself a chance to be plesantly surprised... I would not have gone to half of the beautiful places I went to if I had pre-judged what it would be like nor would I have met the wonderful and culturally varied people I did.

Pretty much everywhere on the Planet has great merit if you are open minded enough to see beyond prejudices.

Europe is not one place. It has so many facets and faces , it is an entire continent for goodness sake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel